LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 11-09-2014, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Ready for winter driving?

Sadly took my 20"s off this week (which I love), and installed these 18" Fast Wheels with Toyo GSi5ís ... All set to battle our Canadian icy and snowy winter season!

Had Toyo's on my MKX for 4 seasons and still looked new, great tires, highly recommended.

Ready for winter driving?-image.jpg
post #2 of 15 Old 11-09-2014, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
What are the tire specs that you put on the 18"? What did you do for the tire pressure sensors?

I'm thinking going from 19" to 17" with 60. Anyone think that'll work? Tirerack got them in their website...
post #3 of 15 Old 11-09-2014, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
The tires are 235/50R18, coming off the stock 255/45R20's, which I belive is the stock size if you get the car with 18"'s. Obviously does not drive the same, there's 1.5" less rubber touching the surface, but still drives and handles great.

I did not get the TPMS plugs, didn't want to spend the extra $$ per corner, I'm fine with staring at the warning light all winter, it' s a stupid system anyways, doesn't tell you which tire is low, it just warns there's low tire pressure, you need to figure out which one is causing the alert!
bizzrise01 likes this.

post #4 of 15 Old 11-09-2014, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
TPMS is a federally mandated system. Bypassing it simply exposes you and potentially everyone around you to the consequences of a low/flat tire. Acknowledged that the MKC TPMS does not indicate which tire is low, these systems have saved me more than once from riding on a low pressure or slowly leaking tire or cold snap that brings all tires below spec. It only takes an extra 2 minutes with a digital pressure gauge to identify the problem tire. Personally, it is a safety system I won't do without.
bizzrise01 likes this.
post #5 of 15 Old 11-09-2014, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Shirtmkc, so this mean you have two sets of rims n'est-ce pas? We just ordered Nokian 19" allweather tires and on a wait list for them (maybe next week). We are looking forward to not having to store extra tires and rims.
post #6 of 15 Old 11-09-2014, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurel View Post
Shirtmkc, so this mean you have two sets of rims n'est-ce pas? We just ordered Nokian 19" allweather tires and on a wait list for them (maybe next week). We are looking forward to not having to store extra tires and rims.
Yup, 2 sets of tires and rims. A costly investment, however the 20" mags are much too nice to get ruined from all the winter road salt, not to mention the price of 20" dedicated winter are astronomical. Straight winter tires are a legal requirement here.
post #7 of 15 Old 11-09-2014, 10:11 PM

Our Nokian all weather tires have the snow flake symbol so they are officially winter tires. I know we can't travel into the interior of BC without winter tires and we will comply with the Nokians. We are tired of having two sets of tires and these all weather versus all season may fill the bill. The weak link appears to be that all weather wear out quicker than usual.
post #8 of 15 Old 11-20-2014, 01:58 PM

We got our 19" Nokian all weather tires put on on Monday. My husband finds they aren't causing too much difference in how the car feels compared to having the all season tires on other than he feels more grip on the roads. They aren't too noisy at all. Here is an article from today's Globe and Mail about the all weather tires that is interesting. All-weather tires now affordable, last longer | Toronto Star
post #9 of 15 Old 11-03-2015, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
My MKC came with the 255/40R20 all seasons. I just purchased Nokean winter tires 235/55R18 along with the rims as my tire dealer could not find basic 20" rims. I've been trying to find out which type of TPMS system is on this car - direct or indirect. I've received 2 different answers from different dealers. I was assuming the direct system and I did not purchase the TPMS sensors for the tires. I was expecting the indicator on the dashboard to be lit up but it is not so I got to thinking that maybe the indirect system is used on this vehicle? I also contacted Lincoln customer service and they are telling me that because I put 18" rims on for the winter tires that this will affect my warranty as the manual specifically says to install winter tires of the same rim size only! I've never heard of this before. Are they feeding me a load of bull?
post #10 of 15 Old 12-23-2015, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Well I've had the winter tires (without the tire pressure sensors) on the car since Oct. 30 and still the low pressure warning light on the dash has not turned on. I've had the car to the local Ford dealer twice (no Lincoln dealer here) and they have done all kinds of tests, talked with the Lincoln tech guys but still cannot figure out why the dashboard light is not on. Supposedly they have tested all the components and everything is OK. Now Lincoln is telling them to wait until spring when I put the all seasons (with the tire pressure sensors) back on and then it will be easier to determine where/what the problem is. Has anyone else had an issue with the light NOT coming on when using tires with no sensors?

2015 MKC
2.3L AWD
White Platinum Met Tri-Coat/White Sand Prem Lthr
Equip. Group 102A Reserve
Climate package
Technology package
20" aluminum wheels
Build 12/2014
Lease end 06/23/19 - car returned to Lincoln
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List