1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 11-09-2015, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Tire Pressure Monitor System

Is a direct or indirect system used on the MKC? My Lincoln dealer doesn't seem to know...they think it is direct i.e. with pressure monitors on the valve stems. I just bought rims and winter tires and had them installed 10/30/15. Because I did not buy the pressure monitors, I was expecting the low tire pressure light to be on however it is not and I have driven 350 kms. Now I'm thinking that maybe this car has the indirect system? If it has the direct system them there must be a problem with the system since the dashboard light is not on? I've spoken with the service manager at 2 Lincoln dealers as well as Lincoln customer service and so far no one can tell me what kind of system this car uses.
post #2 of 31 Old 11-10-2015, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Not sure if this helps but when the dealer was repairing a tire on our 2016 MKC the phone app issued a warning of low pressure being detected. So that would tell me it is direct. Now the MKC system may be looking for a fault indication from a sensor as opposed to the presence of a continual signal from a sensor. So the absence of a sensor may not trigger a light but you now have a vehicle designed with a LPWS that will never indicate a fault when/if your tires go low.

An indirect TPMS typically relies on wheel speed sensors that the anti-lock brake system uses. These sensors measure the rate of revolution each wheel is making and can be used by on-board computer systems to compare with each other and to other vehicle operation data such as speed.
Based on the rate of revolution of each wheel, the computer can interpret the relative size of the tires on your vehicle. When a wheel starts spinning faster than expected, the computer calculates that the tire is underinflated and alert the driver accordingly.
So, an indirect tire pressure monitoring system doesn’t actually measure tire pressure. It’s not electronically processing the same kind of measurement you might see with a tire gauge. Instead, an indirect tire pressure monitor simply measures how fast your tires are rotating and sends signals to the computer that will actuate the indicator light when something in the rotation seems amiss.

2016 MKC - August 2015 build
Platinum White - Wht Sands/Espresso
Reserve 300 AWD
2.3 Ecoboost
Sync 3
20" Wheels
Technology Package
Climate Package
All Weather Floor Mats
Premium Reversible Cargo Mat
post #3 of 31 Old 11-10-2015, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the info blankster. I was thinking that maybe the system was smart enough to know that the 4 sensors were absent and therefore not turn on the warning light. I was hoping that Lincoln could confirm this but so far no answer from them either way.

post #4 of 31 Old 11-10-2015, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Looks like the MKC uses the "Direct" TPMS.

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raf...parttype=12036

2015 MKC AWD 2.3L Reserve w/Climate Pkg. Silver Sand/White Sand. Build 8/14/2014.
post #5 of 31 Old 11-10-2015, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the link pdqford. Looking at the pics of the different valve stems, the ones on the tires that were on the car when I bought it, don't look like any in the pic. I'm wondering now if even the original tires have sensors.
post #6 of 31 Old 11-11-2015, 12:03 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
It's direct!
post #7 of 31 Old 11-17-2015, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
The following is the response that the service manager received from Ford. So the system is direct and since I did not have sensors installed on the winter tires I purchased, and the low pressure indicator light is not on, I can only conclude that there is something wrong with the TPMS system in my car.

Although it is possible that the TPMS light is inoperative, it is not likely that there is a fault with the TPMS light. As outlined in the online Workshop Manual (WSM) Section 204-04B Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) > Description and Operation > Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) – System Operation and Component Description, if the tire pressure deviates from the programmed tire pressure the Body Control Module (BCM), using the MS-CAN, signals the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) to illuminate the TPMS warning indicator and display a message in the message center.

Since neither the TPMS light nor the TPMS warning message are not being illuminated/displayed, it is possible that new TPMS sensors were installed when the customer had the winter wheels and tires installed on the vehicle. To verify that there are TPMS sensors, please proceed with previous recommendations of monitoring the TPMS_STAT PID, as well as the TPM_S_ID_LF, TPM_S_ID_RF, TPM_S_ID_LRO, and the TPM_S_ID_RRO PIDs.

If it has been determined that there are not TPMS sensors installed on the vehicle, it is recommended to perform Pinpoint Test (PPT) R located in the WSM Section 413-01 Instrumentation, Message Center and Warning Chimes > Diagnosis and Testing > Instrumentation, Message Center and Warning Chimes. This test is intended to diagnose low tire pressure, communication concerns, GWM, BCM, TPMS, and IPC concerns.

If it is proven 100% there are no sensors then the vehicle would require further diagnostic as to why the light is not coming on.

2015 MKC
2.3L AWD
White Platinum Met Tri-Coat/White Sand Prem Lthr
Equip. Group 102A Reserve
Climate package
Technology package
20" aluminum wheels
Build 12/2014
Lease end 06/23/19 - car returned to Lincoln
post #8 of 31 Old 11-17-2015, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Garage
Can someone interpret Lincolntechcryptospeak? The advice text surely is targeted for those so trained.

'15 Ingot Silver/ White Sands/ Reserve 2.0 FWD/CCD/ Tow Pkg/ Oct 14 2014
'55 F-100 and 64.5 Mustang Convertible
post #9 of 31 Old 01-24-2017, 09:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Was there any final resolution to this issue? I am wondering what happens if winter rims and tires are installed without TPMS sensors by a third party. Do you get annoying alarms? We previously had a vehicle where the tire pressure light stayed on all winter.
post #10 of 31 Old 01-24-2017, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I had the winter tires and rims installed by a 3rd party and did NOT have the TPMS sensors installed. I was expecting the warning light to be on all the time but it is not and there is no warning bell/chime. Sometimes after driving more than 25 km, the light will come on but then the next day it will be off again. According to Lincoln the light should be on all the time since there are no sensors in the tires but they have no idea why it is not on and they claim that the TPMS system is working fine. Last spring after the winter tires were removed and the all seasons (with the sensors) were installed, the service guy checked if the warning light came on after lowering the tire pressure....the light did come on so they say there is nothing wrong. Still no reason as to why the light does not come on and stay on all the time when the winter tires are installed.

2015 MKC
2.3L AWD
White Platinum Met Tri-Coat/White Sand Prem Lthr
Equip. Group 102A Reserve
Climate package
Technology package
20" aluminum wheels
Build 12/2014
Lease end 06/23/19 - car returned to Lincoln
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List