• 1 Post By ddsski

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-01-2018, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Wheels hard to get off!

I live in Syracuse, NY. We get plenty of snow, and they use plenty of salt on the roads. In winter I run 4 snow tires on my factory (18") rims, and my Michelins on 4 Verde chrome mag wheels in the summer. I started to change over to my summer wheels today, and had a slight problem. I had to hit the back of the rims with a big hammer to break them loose from the car. Upon inspection I could see that the factory rims were starting to rust and corrode around the hub and mounting surface. I cleaned everything with a wire brush, and put a thin coat of anti-seize on the surface. Hopefully this will eliminate the problem in the future.

2017 MKC Reserve AWD
White platinum w/Hazelnut leather interior
2.3L Ecoboost
Equipment group 300A
Technology Package (Sync 3 v3.0)
Climate package
18" Wheels

Built 1/27/17
post #2 of 9 Old 05-03-2018, 10:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikesdeuce View Post
I live in Syracuse, NY. We get plenty of snow, and they use plenty of salt on the roads. In winter I run 4 snow tires on my factory (18") rims, and my Michelins on 4 Verde chrome mag wheels in the summer. I started to change over to my summer wheels today, and had a slight problem. I had to hit the back of the rims with a big hammer to break them loose from the car. Upon inspection I could see that the factory rims were starting to rust and corrode around the hub and mounting surface. I cleaned everything with a wire brush, and put a thin coat of anti-seize on the surface. Hopefully this will eliminate the problem in the future.
Ford had this problem years ago with alloy wheels and corrosion. Lots of cars with tires "welded" to the lugs. Looks like they still haven't learned how to prevent that from occurring.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-04-2018, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
[QUOTE=bobandsherry;135761]Ford had this problem years ago with alloy wheels and corrosion. Lots of cars with tires "welded" to the lugs. Looks like they still haven't learned how to prevent that from occurring.

Yeah! I forgot to mention that my MKC only has 7400 miles on it, is kept in a heated garage, and gets washed at least once a week. I mounted those winter rims last fall so they got stuck in just 6 months.

2017 MKC Reserve AWD
2.3L Ecoboost
Equipment group 300A
Climate package
18" Wheels

Built 1/27/17

post #4 of 9 Old 05-04-2018, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
I think the heated garage may accelerate the corrosion. Dissimilar metals tend to corrode where they touch and the salt is the catalyst. I have noticed that rims tend to show more corrosion during early spring when temperatures begin to rise than during the below freezing period of hard winter. That said a little lube between the wheel and hub should maintain the problem.

2016 MKC - August 2015 build
Platinum White - Wht Sands/Espresso
Reserve 300 AWD
2.3 Ecoboost
Sync 3
20" Wheels
Technology Package
Climate Package
All Weather Floor Mats
Premium Reversible Cargo Mat
post #5 of 9 Old 05-04-2018, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I agree with blankster. I used to keep my vehicles in a garage and had rust problems. I've had less rust issues leaving the vehicles outside - but more work cleaning them off in the winter. That's where the remote start comes in handy!

2017 Lincoln MKC Reserve 2.0T AWD
Palladium White Gold with Cappuccino Interior
Tech Package, THX and Towing Package
Built 2017-03-22
post #6 of 9 Old 05-07-2018, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
My garage is attached to the house and rarely goes below 40.. I live near Chicago so salt is all over the place.. In the fall I put a paint sealer on the wheels so they still look like new. However I do regularly hose the wheels off in the garage in winter to rinse off the salt. This weekend I had to have a wheel removed only to find out one of the lug nuts "caps" was corroded inside and was just spinning when trying to get it off. They ended up having to hammer a socket on to the lug nut just to get it off. Once the wheel was off there here hints of corrosion between the wheel and hub. Later today I will be stopping by the dealer to get a replacement lug nut.

2016 MKC - August 2015 build
Platinum White - Wht Sands/Espresso
Reserve 300 AWD
2.3 Ecoboost
Sync 3
20" Wheels
Technology Package
Climate Package
All Weather Floor Mats
Premium Reversible Cargo Mat
post #7 of 9 Old 05-08-2018, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankster View Post
My garage is attached to the house and rarely goes below 40.. I live near Chicago so salt is all over the place.. In the fall I put a paint sealer on the wheels so they still look like new. However I do regularly hose the wheels off in the garage in winter to rinse off the salt. This weekend I had to have a wheel removed only to find out one of the lug nuts "caps" was corroded inside and was just spinning when trying to get it off. They ended up having to hammer a socket on to the lug nut just to get it off. Once the wheel was off there here hints of corrosion between the wheel and hub. Later today I will be stopping by the dealer to get a replacement lug nut.

This is a fairly common problem with Escape owners. Look on E-Bay and buy a set of solid chrome lugs. You'll be better off in the long run.

2017 MKC Reserve AWD
2.3L Ecoboost
Equipment group 300A
Climate package
18" Wheels

Built 1/27/17
post #8 of 9 Old 05-15-2018, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I got rid of the stock lugs first thing. They were junk.
jay2703 likes this.

2016 Range Rover Sport HSE
2015 Lincoln MKC Reserve 2.3 AWD
2012 Mazda MX-5 Miata GTPRHT
2011 Lotus Evora S
2008 Isuzu Ascender LTD
post #9 of 9 Old 06-27-2018, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Won't a dehumidifier help in the garage? I used to keep one of those in my garage. That seemed to help a little. I also didn't drive that car much and wanted it to look new as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page