7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 11-04-2018, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Tire pressure alert

Alert came on so I checked the tires and they were all the same 27.5 psi. Have had the MKC for a few weeks, put about 500 miles on it. Door sticker says 35 psi for front and rear tires. I went with 32 for now. Anyone know why the dealer would have put them at 27.5? Could the alert been because the weather got cooler and the pressure dropped just enough to trigger it? Once I brought them up to 32 the alert went off. What psi are you running in 20 inch tires?
post #2 of 17 Old 11-05-2018, 06:23 AM
DRM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Why would you NOT follow the recommendations on the door?
2015 MSM likes this.
post #3 of 17 Old 11-05-2018, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Yes, as ambient temperature drops, due to change of seasons, so will your pressure ...and it will stabilize. But note these types of rims are known to leak air, on occasion, but usually as they age or as you 'hit' things.
Plus I do echo DRM, fill your tires to recommended level. I usually put in one extra pound for better gas mileage. If the pressure is too low you will get uneven wear.(or too high)

2017 Burgundy MKC AWD Reserve 2.3L 20" rims, Tech Package, Climate Package,

post #4 of 17 Old 11-05-2018, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
No reason, wanted to post here and see what kind of input I got before I went to the limit. Why would the dealer only put 27.5 psi in? I am sure this was done on purpose because it was consistent in all 4 tires and if it had been from air loss it would not have been equal.
post #5 of 17 Old 11-05-2018, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I never trust the dealer or anyone else for that matter, to fill my tires to the correct PSI. I always check after having anything done with my tires. More than often they just fill them to the max. Not sure why they would have under filled yours so much. Could just be a case of a lot boy doing it and not checking the sticker inside the door. I always use the recommended tire pressure from the manufacturer. I assume that they have done quite a bit of testing to come up with the PSI that provides the best handling, ride, gas mileage....

2017 MKC 2.3 AWD Reserve - Certified
Magnetic Grey - Ebony
THX II Audio System
19" Wheels
Technology Package
Climate Package
post #6 of 17 Old 11-05-2018, 10:24 AM
DRM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmar View Post
Why would the dealer only put 27.5 psi in? I am sure this was done on purpose because it was consistent in all 4 tires and if it had been from air loss it would not have been equal.
Your tire gauge or theirs or both could be wrong. If their gauge was reading low and yours is reading high then you would get this situation. Cheap gauges are just that. And yes change in outside temp will effect all of them the same.
symetry likes this.

Last edited by DRM; 11-05-2018 at 10:30 AM.
post #7 of 17 Old 11-05-2018, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Good point about either their gauge or help being inaccurate. You like to think people would take care in their tools and work but we all know how that goes. When I checked the tires and they all showed the same 27.5 psi I immediately got another gauge and double checked and got the same readings. My gauges are digital so if one was out of spec it should show up. I agree with going with the spec provided by the manufacturer but it was so far out of spec that I wanted to make sure there was not something I was missing. Thanks for all the input, first time we have had tire pressure alert system in a vehicle so new territory.
post #8 of 17 Old 11-05-2018, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
My first service experience with my dealership was somewhat related. Driven the car off the lot in Sept. '16, had the TPMS light came on a week or so later after a cold night. Reading with my tire pressure gauge reader revealed that ALL four tires were low. Turns out the dealer were so busy selling me the car that literally rolled off their delivery truck that day they didn't even had time to do the initial inspection of the car. Thankfully nothing else was out of spec and no problem with the car afterwards. But yes, I wouldn't trust the dealer on things like that either.

2017 Lincoln MKC AWD 2.3 Reserve 20" Polished Wheels W/ Ebony Pockets | Technology Package | Climate Package | Black Velvet + Ebony Interior
post #9 of 17 Old 11-05-2018, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
I always put the recommended pressure as displayed on the door plate....in this case 35 lbs. I also check the cold tire pressure the next day after the dealer or tire place have adjusted the pressures.

2015 MKC
2.3L AWD
White Platinum Met Tri-Coat/White Sand Prem Lthr
Equip. Group 102A Reserve
Climate package
Technology package
20" aluminum wheels
Build 12/2014
post #10 of 17 Old 11-05-2018, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
The dealer wanted you to have a very smooth ride.....

Put MFG recommended pressure... mine is 36 PSI .

Jim

2018 Reserve, FWD, purchase date 8/3/18
19" Wheels, Tech pack, Climate pack,
Sound THX, Pearl Ivory tricoat, Cappucino with Expresso trim Interior
2.0T, Sync3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List