Rear Rotors scored at 35000 miles?? - Lincoln MKC Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-03-2019, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Rear Rotors scored at 35000 miles??

Just shy of 36,000 miles. Brake question. The front brake rotors are smooth and shiny as I expected. The rear rotors are quite badly scored. It is under warranty until next March. I've made a service appointment at my local Ford/Lincoln dealer for next Monday. Is this a 'known problem' with the MKC? Thanks.
post #2 of 7 Old 07-04-2019, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Wow , Good question, hope some expert answers it! Thanks for bringing up your observation!
post #3 of 7 Old 07-19-2019, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Angry rotor scoring at 16K miles

mine rotors were trash at 16K of easy driving. My take is soft rotors from wherever Ford got them.

post #4 of 7 Old 07-21-2019, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Coming up at 58,000 of spirited, but albeit highway miles. Rotors seems to be holding up fine, but will ask them to check at my 60K service.

2017 Lincoln MKC AWD 2.3 Reserve 20" Polished Wheels W/ Ebony Pockets | Technology Package | Climate Package | Black Velvet + Ebony Interior
post #5 of 7 Old 07-21-2019, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I'm no expert but I thought I had heard that some times debris (like tiny rocks) gets between the rotor and pad and can cause grooving.

2017 Burgundy MKC AWD Reserve 2.3L 20" rims, Tech Package, Climate Package,
post #6 of 7 Old Yesterday, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Our rear rotors just died at around 66k miles with mostly highway driving (it’s our road trip car). We replaced our Malibu’s brakes all around when it hit 99k miles which is pretty average. My assumption is that Lincoln/Ford put cheap and/or soft rotors on the MKC.
post #7 of 7 Old Today, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I usually get 65-85,000 miles (not sure the conversion for kilometers for the folks up north) on a set of pads. You don't want to wear it 99% down.(I explain in more detail later) I replace the rotors when I put on the second set of pads which technically is the third on it. (1st factory, 2nd onward I put on) I skip turning the rotors to reduce the chances of warping. To date I have not had issues with noise... assuming the rotors looked smooth. If they are not smooth at the time of replacing pads then I would spend the money on a set of rotors. tip: Try to avoid Chinese made parts if you don't go with OEM.

Below is a used pad with 85,000 miles off my Nissan Altima. In this example, you want to replace prior to the pads wearing down to the point the two slots (grooves) are gone. With my Altima I replaced my rears around 75,000. For some odd reason they went first. If you do your own pads.. the job can cost $20-60 per set. I got my pads off of ebay for $37 shipped and they were Bosch quietcast. Plus if you are unsure if you can replace your own pads... go watch a youtube video for your model and then decide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190731_123625.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	5549  

2017 Burgundy MKC AWD Reserve 2.3L 20" rims, Tech Package, Climate Package,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page