Lincoln MKC Forum banner

Rear Rotors scored at 35000 miles??

5K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  blankster 
#1 ·
Just shy of 36,000 miles. Brake question. The front brake rotors are smooth and shiny as I expected. The rear rotors are quite badly scored. It is under warranty until next March. I've made a service appointment at my local Ford/Lincoln dealer for next Monday. Is this a 'known problem' with the MKC? Thanks.

#4 ·
Coming up at 58,000 of spirited, but albeit highway miles. Rotors seems to be holding up fine, but will ask them to check at my 60K service.

#7 ·
I usually get 65-85,000 miles (not sure the conversion for kilometers for the folks up north) on a set of pads. You don't want to wear it 99% down.(I explain in more detail later) I replace the rotors when I put on the second set of pads which technically is the third on it. (1st factory, 2nd onward I put on) I skip turning the rotors to reduce the chances of warping. To date I have not had issues with noise... assuming the rotors looked smooth. If they are not smooth at the time of replacing pads then I would spend the money on a set of rotors. tip: Try to avoid Chinese made parts if you don't go with OEM.

Below is a used pad with 85,000 miles off my Nissan Altima. In this example, you want to replace prior to the pads wearing down to the point the two slots (grooves) are gone. With my Altima I replaced my rears around 75,000. For some odd reason they went first. If you do your own pads.. the job can cost $20-60 per set. I got my pads off of ebay for $37 shipped and they were Bosch quietcast. Plus if you are unsure if you can replace your own pads... go watch a youtube video for your model and then decide.

Attachments

#8 ·
I just had pads replaced at 66,000 miles and noticed the rear rotors were a bit scored. The place i took it to couldn’t turn them...so now it’s my job to get them turned...I got the calipers off but the rotors won’t move. Is there a trick...I gave it a few love taps with a hammer but nothing any help would be appreciated

#9 ·
Spray with wd-40 or similar. sometimes there is a hole in the rotor for a bolt to be screwed in-to to help 'pop' it. (usually found near were the lug nut bolts are.)
i typically say replace rotors don't turn. they tend to warp after turning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.