Lincoln MKC Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning, I'm curious if anyone has experienced a engine misfire on their 2.3's.

Out MKC has roughly 14K on it. When @ WOT from 4000-Redline, the engine seems to cut power, misfire and stumble. Lower RPMS are smooth as silk. Doesn't matter if you use 93 or 87. It's been to the dealer. they could replicate the problem but since there wasn't an CEL, they couldn't figure it out. They replaced the Spark Plugs and said they placed a call with Ford Tech Support for assistance since changing the plugs didn't help anything. It's been over a month now, spoke to the dealer and they told me FTS is still looking into the problem.

On another note, since the weather has gotten really cold in the Great Lake states, the idle has become very erratic. Never stalls, but bounces between 500 and 1000 even after about 20 minutes of driving. Eventually it stops. Again, No CEL.

Ugh.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Vacuum leak or bad connector??? High rpm issues are often electrical in nature due to conduction issues in wiring.

·
Registered
733 Posts
My son was running his built 2.5 liter Subaru WRX turbo on the dyno and “only” got 505 hp to the wheels and had a similar experience of misfire at high RPM. It was attributed to a weak battery. Turned out my battery was also bad on my 2016 with only 17k miles. It tested fine but the car said otherwise.

·
Registered
139 Posts
505 at the wheels huh. Yes you can do it but I've seen most of the STi motors that start broaching 400 at the wheels experience all kinds of reliability issues from head gaskets, to internals to major oil catch issues etc. That motor is not as robustly built as a flat Porsche. I say this because I owned and raced an STi for several years. I stopped at Cobb Stage 2 and that was bulletproof reliable but EVERYONE else that went big detonated motors and all the things I mentioned. Tell him to be careful or it WILL go boom unless everything is truly topshelf race motor bluprinted quality...

But we do agree that electrical gets our vote for this issue....

·
Registered
733 Posts
505 at the wheels huh. Yes you can do it but I've seen most of the STi motors that start broaching 400 at the wheels experience all kinds of reliability issues from head gaskets, to internals to major oil catch issues etc. That motor is not as robustly built as a flat Porsche. I say this because I owned and raced an STi for several years. I stopped at Cobb Stage 2 and that was bulletproof reliable but EVERYONE else that went big detonated motors and all the things I mentioned. Tell him to be careful or it WILL go boom unless everything is truly topshelf race motor bluprinted quality...

But we do agree that electrical gets our vote for this issue....

He has a custom built short block capable of 700+ HP from Outfront Motorsports and a BIG turbo.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Full build.!!!!! Yikes

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, it took two different dealers, but Libertyville Lincoln solved the problem. Faulty Injectors.

It was the first MKC to exhibit this condition in the Ford Database for the 2.3, per the Factory Ford Tech who helped solve the issue. 3 other recordings of this, one Explorer, one Mustang and one Focus RS.

The Injectors can't keep up causing a lean condition, which the ECU cuts power to save itself. They replaced two injectors and changed the seals on the other two.

All is good now. Feels like a different car now!!!

After 7 months, it's finally fixed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that is crazy!!! 7 months? did they gift you anything for the inconvenience?

Lincoln asked us to go to a different dealer, who was then instructed to not give back the car until fixed (um DUH!!!). They brought in the Ford Tech and he hooked up a data logger to it and figured out the issue. Since all recorded instances were on Ford branded products, not Lincolns, the previous dealer didn't have access to the "Board". The Ford Tech line is essentially a Forum, depending on what you sell, dictates what areas you have access to. The actual diagnosis and repair was about a week. The remaining 6 months and 3 weeks we were in our car, just dealing with the high RPM deal. Honestly, I was so close to throwing in the towel on the MKC and going back to Infiniti...

To answer your question, no, nothing was offered for the issue or length of time to fix the problem. To be honest though, it was more a problem with the other dealer not being proactive and was literally waiting for our issue to appear on the boards. Very sad. All they had to do is make open a Tech Issue with Lincoln, and they would have sent a tech out to fix the problem (just like the other dealer did).

·
Registered
232 Posts
Lincoln asked us to go to a different dealer, who was then instructed to not give back the car until fixed (um DUH!!!). They brought in the Ford Tech and he hooked up a data logger to it and figured out the issue. Since all recorded instances were on Ford branded products, not Lincolns, the previous dealer didn't have access to the "Board". The Ford Tech line is essentially a Forum, depending on what you sell, dictates what areas you have access to. The actual diagnosis and repair was about a week. The remaining 6 months and 3 weeks we were in our car, just dealing with the high RPM deal. Honestly, I was so close to throwing in the towel on the MKC and going back to Infiniti...

To answer your question, no, nothing was offered for the issue or length of time to fix the problem. To be honest though, it was more a problem with the other dealer not being proactive and was literally waiting for our issue to appear on the boards. Very sad. All they had to do is make open a Tech Issue with Lincoln, and they would have sent a tech out to fix the problem (just like the other dealer did).

What a story, it does matter what dealer you use, sometimes loyalty needs to go out the window. I am glad you got everything squared away. I never knew the tech line was a forum, I was under the impression it was a phone line! Thanks for that, learned something new! Hopefully you have a good run.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Glad they seemed to have resolved it. Grab bluetooth OBDII connector and run a Diagnostic App. on your smart phone. They do wonders at helping self diagnose issues like this. It would have certainly narrowed down the cyl. being impacted and then from there it would be easy enough to start with plugs, wires, coil packs and finally injectors.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts