Lincoln MKC Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Lincoln MKC
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2015 Lincoln MKC 2.0L. I have seen several Sync 3 HW upgrade kits on Amazon and EBay from China. Are these reliable? Would it be less expensive if I purchase components separately vs a kit? (Parts List.. $419 total... I think these are the necessary parts)

Parts List:

ELS27 Programming Harness

·
Super Moderator
390 Posts
I bought mine from a local salvage yard, actually since sold it to a member of this site. It is very simple operation. Every thing is plug and play except the programming

·
Registered
2015 Lincoln MKC
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought mine from a local salvage yard, actually since sold it to a member of this site. It is very simple operation. Every thing is plug and play except the programming
Just found display and Attached APIM module from 2016 MKC, has Sync 3, at local salvage yard. Seen photos of working unit, priced at $200. As for programming... are these units VIN locked to vehicle? Will it fit 2015 MKC (think it will) Easy to program? I work in IT, very comfortable programming it myself.

·
Registered
2015 Lincoln MKC
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Bought the unit. Checked the 2016 vehicle VIN; options are identical to my 2015 MKC. Do I need to reprogram since options are same? Also bought Sync 3 upgrade parts on Amazon. Salvage Yard Sync 3 Display w/module - $200; Upgrade parts - $127. Total $327 to upgrade! Use this link to get Module Build Data if reprogramming (create account) using VIN Module Build Data

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
390 Posts
You will not need to program unless the options are different, like heated wheel, seats, cooled seats etc. If you need to program it, it is very easy I can walk you through it. You will need software to read and modify as built information

·
Registered
2015 Lincoln MKC
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You will not need to program unless the options are different, like heated wheel, seats, cooled seats etc. If you need to program it, it is very easy I can walk you through it. You will need software to read and modify as built information
I installed FORscan on my laptop and have an extended license for it. I was able to download my 15 MKC Module Build Data as well. I checked the 2016 MKC and it has all the same features. I would like to add the tire pressure display though as well as rear park aid (It is greyed out on my 15 MKC). Will I be able to add Lane Assist?

·
Super Moderator
390 Posts
Tire pressure has gotten very easy it is an option under the IPC (Module Programming) not (Module Programming - As built) - I have written a post on how to

Can you add Lane Assist - short answer is yes. Is it worth it - no. You will need a new windshield, headliner (or rewire the headliner) and multiple hours of wiring!!

I have a factory no lane assist with working lane assist.

Sounds like your radio is ready to go!!!

·
Registered
2015 Lincoln MKC
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tire pressure has gotten very easy it is an option under the IPC (Module Programming) not (Module Programming - As built) - I have written a post on how to

Can you add Lane Assist - short answer is yes. Is it worth it - no. You will need a new windshield, headliner (or rewire the headliner) and multiple hours of wiring!!

I have a factory no lane assist with working lane assist.

Sounds like your radio is ready to go!!!
Yea, no lane assist! Thought it was an easy option. Oh, disregard Rear Park Assist - it works!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I see this worked out for you - which is great.

I made this upgrade too, but ran into trouble when taking the dash apart. It was a hell of a job. From how tight things were stuck together I don't think the dash had ever been apart. I had to take it to the dealership and let them struggle with it. It cost me a little more than I wanted, but it was done right when I got it back. They also had to program it even though the outfit I bought from claimed I would not have to do this.

Just a cautionary note for all the DIYers out there.

·
Registered
2015 Lincoln MKC
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Upgrade went well. I done alot of research and asked ALOT of questions (sorry @copbait for bugging you so much) I learned quite a bit. Few pointers:

Be careful not to crimp GPS antenna wiring. I kept getting the Navigation Fault error message after upgrading to Sync 3; almost purchased another APIM module. I crimped the antenna wiring when re-assembling. Replaced GPS antenna with this one - Xtenzi Active GPS Antenna Auto Car Stereo indash Radio Compatible with VW Audi Navigation Receiver – XT91835 $16

If you buy your APIM unit from a salvage yard, check the vehicle specifications using VIN. I exported to PDF both mine and the salvage vehicles specs to excel and compared the specs. Didnt need to do much re-programming in Forscan. Use this site to get the specs:

Forscan - Get free Extended License - 2 Mo Trial ( I purchased 1 year $10)

Ford Module Build Data (As-Built) May need this after upgrading to Sync 3 - load/program vehicle

- No question is a dumb question (y) :unsure:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts