Lincoln MKC Forum banner

2015 v. 2016 MKC

9K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  garyrc 
#1 ·
My wife wants a 2.3 AWD MKC Reserve. Trying to decide whether to buy a 2015 or 2016. My thought is that given a variety of issues (Sync, Satellite Radio Reception, Start Button, etc) it makes sense to get the 2016. But the dealer is pushing the 2015 as there appear to be quite a few 2015's in inventory. Dealer is minimizing the 2015 issues & talking up the incentives on the financing. We all love to save money but I don't want headaches. Thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

#2 ·
njlime,
My dealer has 30+ 2015's on his lot and is really dealing! The items you have addressed have all been taken care of on my 2015 - and in actuality, didn't really need to be done. My Sirius wasn't a big problem, I've never had issues with Sync and my start/stop button was replaced at my first oil change without even asking. Unless the options you're asking for are unavailable in the 2015 inventory, I'd definitely buy a 2015! By the way, I've owned mine for almost 14 months and still find myself looking for excuses to drive it. I'm very happy with my MKC!

#3 ·
The general "headaches" of the 2015 really aren't that terrible. Plus you would be going in knowing everything and if I bought 2015 I would have dealer take care of everything before you even pick it up so it would be like nothing was wrong from the get go. BTW the things you want checked/taken care of would be new Sirius antenna , heated and cooled seats, push button start(which may or may not need to be done based on production model of the car), test drive the car you are actually going to buy a bunch of times or ask for an extended/overnight test and double check shifting of engine is OK.

Now SYNC 3 is a different story. It's a major upgrade (which might mean some initial headaches with that-my husband had first version of sync in his escape and it was problematic) but the great thing now about sync 3 is it allows you to update the software yourself from home without having to spend a day at the dealer. So if it's buggy at first at least you'll be able to grab the updates immediately.

#4 ·
Thanks for the input. Good advice/suggestions. Guess maybe it will depend on whether we find the color combo & options in a 2015 that we want.

#5 ·
If you go to the Lincoln site and do a dealer inventory search for 2015 colors and options you want it will list any dealers that have what you are looking for in stock. You can punch in the mileage (how far away from where you live). You're in central-south jersey so you have a lot of options of dealers if you're will into travel a little (I'm north NJ). You might be able to find what you are looking for although I see the 2015s are moving pretty fast..dealer inventory is dwindling so act fast if it's a 2015 you want to negotiate for.

#6 ·
In my opinion it comes down to money ie; your budget. I don't think there is any doubt that the 2016's will have the advantage of having most, if not all of the prior years glitches (both minor and major) already fixed. The Sync 3 alone may be worth the wait as I am having too many small but bothersome problems with mine.

The MKC was initially built around May of 2014 and reached dealerships in July of that same year, so they've had over 14 months to fix whatever may be broken. I bought mine this past June and got the best financial deal I've ever been able to negotiate on a new car, but 4-6-8 years down the road the money savings will be a distant memory but the reliability of the car won't. That being said, if I had to do it all over again, I think I'd go with a 16.

#7 ·
Like he said its your budget...I don't think anything more will come up regarding the MKC and reliability, I believe if there were something major wrong we'd all know about it by now.

You actually might be able to use the TSBs to your negotiating advantage and either receive a sizable discount or be able to add options on the car you wouldn't get due to budget.

I'd first try to see what I could get off the 2015. I'd go in and say "mr dealer I really like the MKC and I understand you want to sell your 2015s but I am aware of the TSB/issues with this first year production model". "If I were to purchase I would need all of the issues addressed on the car I would purchase prior to delivery AND I would need a sizable discount for that inconvenience".

Worth a shot. They may be desperate to sell off the last 2015s or not care and still try to sell you the 2016. Either way it sounds like you are going to end up with an MKC so do what you think is best (for you and your budget). I usually say paying a few K more is negligible if you are financing 4plus years and for the extra $50 in your payment get what will make you happier.. Don't regret not getting something down the line. But then again in this case between zero percent financing and the potential discounts dealers are willing to give to get those 2015s sold your savings could be more significant depending upon how you plan to pay for it...

Good luck, it's a tough choice but if budget is not an issue id probably go 2016 for the sync-bugs and all-they will eventually get that worked out...

#8 ·
Agreed. I always think, given that a car is a major investment & will be with you for at least several years, get what you want & don't worry about the extra $50-$100/month. It won't change your lifestyle. That goes for options, colors, etc. My wife hasn't even decided on color yet. She wants the Hazelnut interior but not sure if she wants white, black, or grey exterior. So once she decides, we will go for the 2015 if we find the exact combination of color & options. If not, we will go for the 2016.
Looks like the dealers are receiving 2016's but if need be, we will order & wait 6-8 weeks.
Thanks again!

#9 ·
If you can find a "recently" produced '15 (high VIN number...and the production date is indicated on the sticker affixed to the driver's door jam), then chances are those TSBs have been included at production, e.g., Sirius/XM updated antenna. If a choice, pick the higher VIN (last 6 digits).

We have the white exterior and Hazelnut interior. Great combo.

#11 ·
2015 - 2016 ?

I'm an older person so the gadgets mean nothing to me. Give me A/C, heat, wipers, lights & an IPOD. I don't know what any of the other things do. Oh, by the way I love my '15 reserve, silver sand, hazelnut. Ride, handling, & appearance inside and out are very satisfying.

#12 ·
I ended up with the Sapphire Metallic (Dark Blue) and love the way it sparkles in the sun. Lincoln really put a lot of metallic specs in the paint. There were very few Hazelnut interiors around, but the one we did see made us think that it was a very unique and special color that we did want. Unfortunately we could only find it in White or Black exterior cars and we had been there - done that over the years and wanted something different this time around. When we saw the blue with white interior we knew that combination was what we wanted. I've had a number of beige leather interiors and although it will show dirt, I've never had a problem keeping it clean. But this White Sands is really white and I hope that I can keep on top of any dirt. No food, drink or dirty hands allowed in my MKC :)

#13 ·
Midnight sapphire is nice, I never saw it up close in daylight to look for the "sparkles" as my five year old says. It must look awesome if it's like my black. When car shopping I vowed I wasn't going black again LOL (love it with certain cars but most of my cars have been black too, was looking for a change) but when it came down to hazelnut interior which was a must for me after seeing it, I didn't have many choices, particularly with wanting all of the options MKC had.

The tuxedo black I have is very nice and loaded with blue/silver flake that really makes the car literally "sparkle" in the sun, my son loves it. I have rarely gotten "compliments" on the black paint on my cars but one day a mom (of all things) came out of my sons school as I parked in front and raved about the paint/color from 10 feet away. I was shocked she noticed.

I've had a bunch of loaners so I've seen and driven in all of the colors. I love the white because the ambient lighting looks best but I have a 5 year old so white was out for now.

Curious as to others thoughts about this..it's purely subjective and personal....I've noticed this "trend" in car interiors of using the multiple colors/schemes on the interiors (ie whites sands/expression) some with a lot of contrast. At first I thought it was really cool and loved it. Almost bought a car with it. Then after repeatedly seeing it I started to think it was too "busy". Just too much going on for me (maybe just my problem as I have ADD). Add in all the gadgets and dash board and again it seemed like too much. I ended up preferring a more solid interior scheme. Driving one again I felt more "peaceful" in the solid interior LOL.

Anyone else have thoughts about the new design trends? What do you like or dislike? The black label themes are mixed. They have color contrasts but it's more subtle. Do you like all the contrast or do you prefer more solid color schemes?

#14 ·
Someone on this forum has a silver sand with hazelnut interior. I think that would be a an awesome combination. It's interesting that that is the exterior color that McConaughy was driving in the commercial, but I think it's one of the colors that they got rid of in '16, but maybe they just renamed it Luxe???

My wife really wanted the red, but felt that the red tail light was a beautiful design feature and did not like the fact that it seemed to "get lost" in the color. She seems to like colors in the plum/purple family so I was surprised that she didn't even consider the Tahitian pearl. She said that she thought it was gorgeous but was hesitant to get a "purple" car. She would really have loved to have gotten a white Select with the hazelnut interior, but that wasn't possible in 2015 so she got the white on white.

I haven't seen any of the new colors for 2016. I can't remember exactly what they got rid of (I think gold, tahitian pearl, silver sand and a couple of others) and what they replaced them with (luxe, burgundy and maybe a couple of others), but I'm sure they all look really nice. I think the MKC is the kind of car that looks good in almost any color.

#15 ·
Silver Sand, the best color in my opinion, is gone and Luxe (if it is the same) was used on the MKZ last year...it is a brownish-grey that is quite attractive. I don't know why they reduced the color palette. Burgundy, Red and White are extra cost ($500-$700 extra) which is a lot. The extra cost colors on the near-identical Escape are much less expensive. The 2016 MKC is about $500 more than last year's model, but I don't see much difference between them except the color choices.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.