Lincoln MKC Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing if anyone has had this issue. My wife’s Lincoln mkc has been great since we got it but today, she reversed back, put it in drive and the reverse light started blinking. Now the reverse flashes and it doesn’t allow us to turn on the car anymore. I tried manually putting it in neutral and it stays in reverse. There was a message that popped up which stated system shift system fault, service required. Anyone have this issue? When I get home I’ll try and pull the codes but wasn’t sure if this was something the dealer needed to correct. Thank you

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update..

Found the issue to be the cable bushing. I was able to fabricate something temporary to get it connected but it’s still not shifting automatically unless I force it. Seems the electronic motor gets stuck and clicks back. Does this need to get reprogrammed? Thanks again.

·
Administrator
504 Posts
i checked the service manual. the only service is a cable length adjustment. could the cable be binding?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doesn’t seem to be. I can manually move the lever and it shifts. Only issue is the system isn’t recognizing the shifts. I’m going to reset the codes soon when I drop off my wife. I tried to manually put it in gear to drive to get it home yesterday but once it started moving, the brakes locked up automatically.

If this doesn’t work may need to take it to the dealer. The cable is now fixed but the car isn’t recognizing the gear shifts when pressing the buttons from inside the car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just dropped it off at the Ford dealer to see what the cause is. I purchased a new bushing at autozone which somewhat fit but the shift change actuator seems to not be synced with the car. Does anyone know if these need to be reset/programmed is there is a fault? I can’t imagine both items, the cable and actuator, broke at the exact same time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just heard back from the Ford dealer. They reported the cable is broken and the sensor transmission range control module. Is this the same as the shift actuator the cable connects too? They want to change 600 for labor and I already have the piece to fix the cable. The shift actuator seems like an easy fix unless it’s another module somewhere else.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just dropped it off at the Ford dealer to see what the cause is. I purchased a new bushing at autozone which somewhat fit but the shift change actuator seems to not be synced with the car. Does anyone know if these need to be reset/programmed is there is a fault? I can’t imagine both items, the cable and actuator, broke at the exact same time.
Did you have any luck? Very similar situation, wife has a '16 MKC, went out to dinner this evening and once leaving the gear cluster started flashing at the 'R' position and won't shift into Neutral or Park.

A quick Google search led me here.

Will tow to the dealership, hoping it falls under the powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you have any luck? Very similar situation, wife has a '16 MKC, went out to dinner this evening and once leaving the gear cluster started flashing at the 'R' position and won't shift into Neutral or Park.

A quick Google search led me here.

Will tow to the dealership, hoping it falls under the powertrain warranty.
The issue was the shift cable, under the air box connected to the transmission. Fixed it for 15 dollars getting a replacement bushing on eBay. Make sure before you replace it, you ensure the transmission is in park and let the car go park withou the cable being connected. I made the mistake of connecting the cable in the wrong setting with the actuator and it broke it.

Fix takes 15-20 minutes to do yourself. Not hard at all. Dealer will sell you a cable since they don’t offer a bushing. Labor for cable replacement and cable is 500-700 dollars. Again it’s an easy job and a common problem with these. Will even be easier if it’s the cable at the actuator. That’s accessible without removing anything.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have not had this problem yet, but are these videos helpful? (ie what this thread is talking about)
what have been your mileage?

some kit for easier replacement

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have not had this problem yet, but are these videos helpful? (ie what this thread is talking about)
what have been your mileage?

some kit for easier replacement
thats it. eBay has it for 22 or best offer. I offered 15 and got it but you can always try for less. Also used some mechanic wire and silicone on the top to prevent it from getting direct heat. So far so Good after a month.

·
Administrator
504 Posts
@Buckeye you always find the best youtube videos, I can never find this stuff when I look!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts