Lincoln MKC Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Bought this very good looking, CPO vehicle back in Jan. when it had 41K on it. Noticed some minor but irritating transmission actions. Did not shift very smoothly and actually would often hesitite at very low speeds such as when trunng a corner or leaving our driveway. Ran fine at high speeds and if the accelerator was fully depressed. After mentioning these things to the dealer I was told to drive it for a while and the tranny computer might "learn" our driving habits. That sounded like BS to me.

There was also an irritating "hum" at between 30 and 50 MPH. I suspected it was a tire issue.

So finally last week I took it back and told them a relatively low mile Lincoln should not shift worse than my 16 year old Infiniti coupe and that I wned th tranny fully inspected. Low and behold about an hour later I was informed that the tranny had metal shavings in the fluid and had to be totally rebuilt.

It's still at the dealer right now. My question is: Does the transmission fluid in this MKC also serve the front wheel drive gearbox? A while back I had a Lexus 350 and I think that I found out it was set up in that manner when I changed the fluids in the all of the gearboxes and the tranny.

So does anyone know for sure if this MKC has that set-up for the tranmission and the front gearbox?

Thx much.

Super Moderator
So the setup is similar to most Fwd cars, the input into the transmission is the flywheel on the front of crank and the transmission outputs to halfshafts to the front wheels. I didn't really understand your question but I hope that helps you derive an answer, I don't understand the inside of the transmission.

Registered
I am not sure if there is a separate gearbox for the front wheel drive as usually found in a traditional 4wd system.
But there is a PTU that uses a different fluid. I am pretty sure it is gearbox fluid not tranny fluid.

I don't think anything uses tranny fluid except for the tranny.

Super Moderator
I am not sure if there is a separate gearbox for the front wheel drive as usually found in a traditional 4wd system.
But there is a PTU that uses a different fluid. I am pretty sure it is gearbox fluid not tranny fluid.

I don't think anything uses tranny fluid except for the tranny.
The ptu is only on awd cars, it sandwiches between the output on the right side of the transmission and the right half shaft which installs through it. It is separate from the power transfer to the front wheel though

Super Moderator
Yeah it's kind of a crazy deal when I filled my tranny, you have to open a seep hole like you do with a manual transmission but only after you get it to operating temperature like an automatic transmission.

The early models had a dipstick though

1 - 6 of 6 Posts