Lincoln MKC Forum banner

2017 MKC Dead Battery

41K views 40 replies 26 participants last post by  skifreak 
#1 ·
1 month and 500 miles. Then one morning battery is dead. Jump started and charged battery--turned off welcome lighting. Battery voltage fell from 13.2 volts fully charged to 12.9 volts overnight. Took to dealer---they cannot find any problem yet. It either has soon intermittent power draw overnight OR the software controlled charging system is not charging the battery enough. Only 13.4 volts at 3000 engine RPM.

VERY DISAPPOINTING FOR A NEW CAR.

#35 ·
My 2017 has probably been in at least 8 times for a random dead battery. They know there is a drain and they have changed multiple things APIM, TCU, RGTM, instrument cluster... They still have not found the real issue. Only upside is dealer has been giving me a Corsair loaner. I have a light interior though and I swear every time it goes in I end up with dirty finger prints.

#38 ·
So the IPC and the Tailgate module are usually at fault for dead batteries, but my buddy that is a FOMOCO tech had a battery drain issue on a 2018 finally found it, it was a transmission shift module. I never have heard anyone report that one failed.

#40 · (Edited)
youtube video. fixing a 5 amp draw on a 2017 (might be technically a 2.5 amp draw if vehicle is checked when still awake)

video 2

videos 3 shows the fix

cliff note: For this vehicle, it needed a new RTM (radio transmission module). Based on video #2 around the 28:45 mark you can see the location.
To self diagnose your draw and confirm this part is your problem is to: unplug it and pull a fuse (as seen in video) and wait an hour and check your draw with similar draw voltage meter OR just wait 12+ hours and see if the battery is dead. I am pretty sure you need to reprogram the part which may be less of DIY repair if you lack the tools. copbait might be able confirm this.

#41 · (Edited)
I had the same issue - had the car in the shop at least six times. They changed just about everything electronic - some maybe even twice. Often had to leave it overnight so they could confirm draw.

In the end the problem was the ACM I believe but not 100% sure as I don't think they gave me the final service record. May have been the RTM as shown in the above video?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.