Lincoln MKC Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a reserve with xenon lights, does anyone know if I change them out for aftermarket led bulbs will it throw an error code on the dash?

·
Administrator
572 Posts
I don’t know if this will help with your question or not it’s kind of a roundabout answer. I know that light has different wavelengths depending on its color or type of light, the shape of the lens is designed for certain types of bulbs, this is why you see a lot of people running around with aftermarket xenon‘s or LEDs in standard halogen housings and they don’t have near the brightness of the factory light

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've used quality led replacements in my last several cars and bikes with stellar results, I was just curious if it will set a warning light on the dash, because that would drive me insane! And the bulbs are alot of work to remove for nothing!

·
Administrator
572 Posts
OK Sounds good I don’t have any more information for you, I wouldn’t imagine it would not set a light, I don’t think there’s any sort of headlight out warnings like what you would see with European cars. If you go for it let me know, be interesting to see if that would work. I loved the LED factory lights in my Nissan, only thing I could say is better about my old car versus the Lincoln

·
Registered
2015 MKC Reserve 2.3. Racechip RS. Ruffino Wheels.
7 Posts
Your MKC came with std HID headlights running a 35W ballast and D3S bulbs at 4300k colour. You can change bulbs to various colour output but keep in mind anything over 6000k going to reduce light output (lumens) and make it harder to see in poor light conditions. You shouldn't have any codes. The warning canceller/flicker codes arise when you convert halogen to HID. The lower power consumption triggers the "light out" code and resulting diagnostic issues.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I replaced the stock bulbs with
OSRAM XENARC NIGHT BREAKER LASER D3S because my wife has a hard time seeing at night. The low beams on the Night Breakers are brighter than the stock high beams. Extremely happy with these bulbs. Pay an auto shop to replace them because this in not an easy job. They don't make cars the way they used too.

·
Registered
2015 MKC Reserve 2.3. Racechip RS. Ruffino Wheels.
7 Posts
I have a reserve with xenon lights, does anyone know if I change them out for aftermarket led bulbs will it throw an error code on the dash?
You would have to check the power consumption of the LEDs to see if similar to the 35w ballast draw on HIDs that came with your car. If they are much lower than 10-20% you may get codes/hyperflash. Keep in mind most LED headlight bulbs are made for reflector lenses as the light emits from two sides of the bulb. You will get a vertical area of poor light in a projector housing like the MKC uses. The HID D3S is 360 degree light.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Why would you want to replace them with LED? HID will be the brightest of all bulb types in headlights. The MKC has the brightest lights I've ever seen on a car, even brighter and better light output than other models from other automakers such as BMW and Mercedes from personal experience. In the dark they're as bright as the sun and I have zero issues seeing the road at night. In fact, I don't even need my glasses. My old car had halogen bulbs and I put in LED bulbs from OPT7 and I wasn't satisfied. The light output wasn't even and too much of it pointed to the ground. The headlight design was a projector beam. It's designed to accommodate what the automaker originally intended for people to use so using different bulb types may have bad light output. I didn't adjust the aim at all. Since then I vowed to never mess with headlights again and just leave it the way it came from the factory. It's not worth the time and energy. If bulb replacement is needed I'll only use what it originally had and what it's designed for. I don't think it's worth messing with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Every one has their opinion, but, I went from xenon to led on my 04 navigator and ouldnt be happier with the results.

·
Administrator
572 Posts
Why would you want to replace them with LED? HID will be the brightest of all bulb types in headlights. The MKC has the brightest lights I've ever seen on a car, even brighter and better light output than other models from other automakers such as BMW and Mercedes from personal experience. In the dark they're as bright as the sun and I have zero issues seeing the road at night. In fact, I don't even need my glasses. My old car had halogen bulbs and I put in LED bulbs from OPT7 and I wasn't satisfied. The light output wasn't even and too much of it pointed to the ground. The headlight design was a projector beam. It's designed to accommodate what the automaker originally intended for people to use so using different bulb types may have bad light output. I didn't adjust the aim at all. Since then I vowed to never mess with headlights again and just leave it the way it came from the factory. It's not worth the time and energy. If bulb replacement is needed I'll only use what it originally had and what it's designed for. I don't think it's worth messing with.
Glad I was not alone. I was very disappointed with the output with a modified system (a motorcycle). I did replace my (murano) halogen headlight assembly with led assemblies factory made for led and it was very nice upgrade. I heard reflectors are built for bulb type and this was the reason I assumed I was satisfied with one modification and not the other

1 - 11 of 11 Posts