Lincoln MKC Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the upgrade to a 4G modem a simple part swap or is there more to it?

·
Administrator
621 Posts
I’d like to know the answer to that as well, I read somebody had posted on here that there was a special pin that they had to get from Ford technical support and they had paid for the modem upgrade and still it wouldn’t work until this pin was put in so I think it’s a little bit more intensive than a modem swap. If it turns out to be just a swap I can do that myself, in fact I think I’m gonna open up my unit and see if there is a modem chip that can be D soldered and re-soldered

Reactions: Buckeye

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’d like to know the answer to that as well, I read somebody had posted on here that there was a special pin that they had to get from Ford technical support and they had paid for the modem upgrade and still it wouldn’t work until this pin was put in so I think it’s a little bit more intensive than a modem swap. If it turns out to be just a swap I can do that myself, in fact I think I’m gonna open up my unit and see if there is a modem chip that can be D soldered and re-soldered
Please let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
From the way I understand it, you have to call your Lincoln dealer and get the service department to order it ( which you have to pay for) Then they will install and program it at no additional cost. I have heard around 400-500 for the part. My problem is that I can't get anyone from my dealership to answer the phone or return my call,been trying for 3 weeks

·
Registered
4 Posts
I spoke with my dealer this week. As others have indicated you need to order the modem through the parts department (Cost $398). Unfortunately, the modems are not available, and I am on a wait list. Given the supply chain issue, I am doubtful that the modem will arrive before the service stops (February 22 as I recall). My dealer said Lincoln was "surprised" by how many people ordered the modem. Really? They send a message that says your app will stop working in February, and they are surprised at the response???

·
Registered
9 Posts
The dealer here in Columbus Ohio gets about $650 to upgrade. Not worth it for me. Any alternatives?
It was $625 here in WV, so about the same. I was told it is a new mode, and not a chip switch. I was also told it only affected the app, so you won't be able to start your car or check vehicle statistics on the app.
Not worth that kind of money IMO.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Same here. My dealer told me that the Modem is VIN Specific and had to be pre-paid and per-ordered. Quoted me about $650 for purchase plus 2 hours labor to install. My question is what year did they start putting in 4G modem? I don't want to run into this again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Same here. My dealer told me that the Modem is VIN Specific and had to be pre-paid and per-ordered. Quoted me about $650 for purchase plus 2 hours labor to install. My question is what year did they start putting in 4G modem? I don't want to run into this again.
That's a good question. Mine is a 2017, so it was after that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, For the second time they have my car all day and still waiting. They said they were given a work around from Ford to get the modem to work specific to my VIN . 5 hours later still no answers…. Beyond frustrating….

·
Registered
5 Posts
I spoke with my dealer this week. As others have indicated you need to order the modem through the parts department (Cost $398). Unfortunately, the modems are not available, and I am on a wait list. Given the supply chain issue, I am doubtful that the modem will arrive before the service stops (February 22 as I recall). My dealer said Lincoln was "surprised" by how many people ordered the modem. Really? They send a message that says your app will stop working in February, and they are surprised at the response???
Don't feel bad...I just bought my 2015 Lincoln NKC for 20k and it still has the SYNC2 modem...the dealer did not divulge this missing upgrade and deadline at time of purchase...I am stuck with an outdated modem that was not upgraded in 2016!🥺

·
Registered
275 Posts
I tried to use the remote start leaving the airport, on the parking lot shuttle bus. No luck. Good thing winter is almost over. I found one interesting caveat of this shutdown. Ford can no long monitor my vehicle. I wonder how that is going to play out. what do they lose?

·
Registered
59 Posts
@ around $600 all in for this update - I've decided it isn't worth it to me. The modem is responsible for 2 primary functions - controlling a data hotspot in vehicle - and the remote start function in the app. Since neither of those is something I use I'm passing on the update and keeping the coin in my pocket.

·
Registered
5 Posts
From the way I understand it, you have to call your Lincoln dealer and get the service department to order it ( which you have to pay for) Then they will install and program it at no additional cost. I have heard around 400-500 for the part. My problem is that I can't get anyone from my dealership to answer the phone or return my call,been trying for 3 weeks
I had the same issue with them not answering the phone. I called the Lincoln Concierge service and they finally had to call the zone Manager to get me answers. I had purchased the modem back in December through their parts Dept. After two fails it finally was installed and is working fine. If it wasn’t for the fact that our fobs crap out with no notice and the car goes into sleep mode I wouldn’t have bothered, but the app is the only way to get the car started when this happens and no one has ever been able to fix it. 🤦‍♀️

·
Administrator
621 Posts
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

my app is now worthless

1 - 19 of 19 Posts