Lincoln MKC Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

Administrator
Most of you are lucky. Since my 2016 MKC was assembled in the Louisville plant, I do not have the option to upgrade my modem. I just have to live with it. I beginning to wonder why I stick with Ford products. Those of us with 2010 MKZ stopped getting Sync update fairly early in the process and now no 4G modems being made available for my MKC. It seems once you have bought the car they seem to not care about you anymore. My family was always a Ford family but other brands are looking good to me now. :cry:(n)
I am pretty sure you can upgrade it. All mkcs are made in Louisville. It is just a very expensive upgrade, I understand the negative sentiment though.

Reactions: Nay

Registered
Even technical support told my dealer my car was not upgradeable. They told the dealer to do some technical Sync update which I would love for them to tell me how it will magically turn a 3G modem into a 4G modem.

Administrator
My only thought was maybe it鈥檚 because you have a sync2 system but a 2016 should be a sync3 system. IDK sorry

Registered
I spent 25 minutes on the phone today with Lincoln and the individual, while pleasant and trying to be helpful, could not find out the information I was seeking. According to the letter post in this thread 2015 - 2017 MKCs built between the dates stated built in Louisville were eligible for the CSP 21B09 which covers the installation. Those outside of the trial period (ending May 31, 2022) could buy the upgrade kit but would have to pay for the installation. That includes VINs not under the program. My main question was why was my vehicle left off the list since it was built in Louisville during the stated time frame. The individual couldn't get me the answer. However, they did say my vehicle can be upgraded at my cost. Tech Support had told my dealer (according to the dealer) that trying to put the update in would screw up my car. The individual I talked to today recommended I might want to find another dealer and even offered to help find one. I kinda chuckled at that. Now I have to talk to the dealer that is 60 miles away and see what they say. If they are willing, how much? I really shouldn't have to do all this. I really like my MKC.

Administrator
That sounds more appropriate, I thought all MKCs could be upgraded. The Vin number range refers to how the car was sold, it was sold with free Lincoln Way service for X number of years. The MKCs that exceeded the X number of years prior to the upgrade have to pay full price, those that were still within years window were allowed to upgrade with Ford covering part of the bill

Registered
Don't feel bad...I just bought my 2015 Lincoln NKC for 20k and it still has the SYNC2 modem...the dealer did not divulge this missing upgrade and deadline at time of purchase...I am stuck with an outdated modem that was not upgraded in 2016!馃ズ
Is the modem part of the SYNC APIM?

I just upgraded my SYNC 2 to SYNC 3....Or is the modem separate from the SYNC?

Administrator
Is the modem part of the SYNC APIM?

I just upgraded my SYNC 2 to SYNC 3....Or is the modem separate from the SYNC?
No it is a separate module from the apim. It is up in the front most portion of the center floor console

Registered
2016 Lincoln MKC Reserve
First post best post!

I have a 2016 MKC Select with the unofficial sync 3.4 mods and JB, the TCU broke out around February like everyone else.. But guys I ain't dealing with a Minnesota winter with no phone remote start I tell ya! I also don't feel like paying Ford 600$ to put in a computer and antenna so I decided to do the retrofit myself. The TCU's Ford provides in their upgrade kits are just refurb TCU's from smashed up cars with an updated firmware, so it shouldn't be too hard to accomplish. Another forum had the P/N's they've found works well for retrofitting so I got that on Ebay as well as a Fakra type Z cable for the antenna from Amazon. Total cost? 250$ ;)

Already have the old TCU config backed up for the new one, just waiting for everything now then install and program time!!!

Product Azure Font Rectangle Material property

Registered
First post best post!

I have a 2016 MKC Select with the unofficial sync 3.4 mods and JB, the TCU broke out around February like everyone else.. But guys I ain't dealing with a Minnesota winter with no phone remote start I tell ya! I also don't feel like paying Ford 600$ to put in a computer and antenna so I decided to do the retrofit myself. The TCU's Ford provides in their upgrade kits are just refurb TCU's from smashed up cars with an updated firmware, so it shouldn't be too hard to accomplish. Another forum had the P/N's they've found works well for retrofitting so I got that on Ebay as well as a Fakra type Z cable for the antenna from Amazon. Total cost? 250$ ;)

Already have the old TCU config backed up for the new one, just waiting for everything now then install and program time!!!

View attachment 6313

Will you please let us know how your update goes/went? I'm really convinced that this is something I can do myself, and save over $700 here in Ohio. Thank you for your follow-up! It is much appreciated.

Registered
2016 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Will you please let us know how your update goes/went? I'm really convinced that this is something I can do myself, and save over $700 here in Ohio. Thank you for your follow-up! It is much appreciated.
Of course! It took me 2 days to install - 1.5 hours to fit the TCU and antenna in then another 2 days of me tinkering with it to get it to authorize as when I did my 1st try I accidentally deleted it from my account and borked the whole process LOL. TSB 22-2309 helped me to get it authorized and once I did the valet mode trick it wanted I was cooking with fire! Remote start and unlock is finally back!!!!!
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Some quirks i've noticed:
-The TCU takes an unbelievably long time to provision itself with fords servers and get ready for authorization, for best results park it next to your friendly T-mobile/ATT tower
-do NOT do multiple activations or remove the car from your account or you will suffer like me
-when i got the authorize prompt, i didn't even have to click the button - i believe that was a result of my borked install though

Overall pretty easy hardware wise - the fun part is getting the software talking. I've heard Ford techs have been struggling with this part as well so I don't feel bad that I did 馃ぃ

EDIT: I literally wrote this up as I finished getting it to activate 馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ

Administrator
Please do a write up. This is amazing!!!

Registered
Product Font Material property Screenshot Web page

Of course! It took me 2 days to install - 1.5 hours to fit the TCU and antenna in then another 2 days of me tinkering with it to get it to authorize as when I did my 1st try I accidentally deleted it from my account and borked the whole process LOL. TSB 22-2309 helped me to get it authorized and once I did the valet mode trick it wanted I was cooking with fire! Remote start and unlock is finally back!!!!!
View attachment 6319

Some quirks i've noticed:
-The TCU takes an unbelievably long time to provision itself with fords servers and get ready for authorization, for best results park it next to your friendly T-mobile/ATT tower
-do NOT do multiple activations or remove the car from your account or you will suffer like me
-when i got the authorize prompt, i didn't even have to click the button - i believe that was a result of my borked install though

Overall pretty easy hardware wise - the fun part is getting the software talking. I've heard Ford techs have been struggling with this part as well so I don't feel bad that I did 馃ぃ

EDIT: I literally wrote this up as I finished getting it to activate 馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ
Thank you so much! I will be purchasing soon to do the upgrade myself. You sure you Don鈥檛 want to do mine as well, I鈥檒l pay ya 馃馃槈. I do have a cart and would be awesome if you could confirm that items will work. We seem to have the same year/model. Again, Thank you for your input!

Registered
2016 Lincoln MKC Reserve
View attachment 6320

Thank you so much! I will be purchasing soon to do the upgrade myself. You sure you Don鈥檛 want to do mine as well, I鈥檒l pay ya 馃馃槈. I do have a cart and would be awesome if you could confirm that items will work. We seem to have the same year/model. Again, Thank you for your input!
TCU looks good, just note to plug your antenna into the red port, not the yellow (yellow is secondary RX), as for the antenna I would actually get this chinese knock off or look into sourcing NL1Z-19A390-A from Ford (More of the resellers like Tasca are slowly listing it, it was just announced last week as part of the 21B09 supplement), the antenna is 33$ MSRP from Ford, you can also get this chinese knockoff which I used: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PFLWY77 the downside for this Chinese one is that your TCU will throw a harmless antenna DTC (doesn't show the engine light or anything)

The main reason to use those two over that HL3Z series antenna is that those two just have adhesive and you stick it on wherever versus having to find a bolt and some metal to mount the H series into as it needs ground.

If you really want to save a penny, look into local salvage lots and pull one any 2017+ Ford/Lincoln; they are all interchangable and work fine with each other. EX my local salvage lot listed this for much cheaper: Chassis Control Module 2020 Explorer Sku#3243113 | eBay

For TCUs a good rule of thumb to tell if its 4G is that it will have a separate antenna port compared to just the 20 pin plugs on the 3G ones. The 3G TCU's had the antenna built into the unit whereas all the 4G ones required an external antenna to be plugged into the unit

Registered
Same situation as everyone else here. I have a 2017 MKC and I certainly miss what use to be on the Lincoln app. Like most鈥.$650 plus is outrageous. After reading a successful swap, I鈥檒l be doing the same. I picked up a 4g modem out of a 2021 Nautilus, I鈥檓 thinking it being newer鈥.it should last awhile before the complimentary service is over. I鈥檓 debating on which antenna to get. I鈥檓 hoping to mess with it this weekend. I鈥檒l keep people posted鈥.

Registered
Same situation as everyone else here. I have a 2017 MKC and I certainly miss what use to be on the Lincoln app. Like most鈥.$650 plus is outrageous. After reading a successful swap, I鈥檒l be doing the same. I picked up a 4g modem out of a 2021 Nautilus, I鈥檓 thinking it being newer鈥.it should last awhile before the complimentary service is over. I鈥檓 debating on which antenna to get. I鈥檓 hoping to mess with it this weekend. I鈥檒l keep people posted鈥.
Maybe you will be able to record a video somewhat while you're doing so... Would give some of us a sense of confidence that we can do so without much difficulty. I've been searching how-to videos and have found one that is a bit helpful, but it was different make and involved a kit they were trying to sell along with it. Thanks for your input either way(y)

Registered
First post best post!

View attachment 6313
A question for you鈥..you backed up the old TCU for the new one. How did you go about backing up the old one and have it ready for the new one? Thanks

Registered
I have the 4g modem installed. The modem install was fairly easy and I was able to use the original bracket. I used the Amazon antenna as well. However, I have to get it to communicate. I went through the mentioned TSB with no luck. Also went through the valet parking with no luck as well. I even tried the donor鈥檚 vehicle VIN in the app with no luck. Or it could just start working鈥..I don鈥檛 know. I will stay at it from time to time trying different things. Like the original poster said鈥..it takes a very long time.

Registered
My tinkering with the modem will have to wait awhile. The engine unfortunately has the coolant intrusion into cylinder 2 . We were losing coolant and a very rough idle in the mornings. The engine light came on as well for misfire at that cylinder. Thank goodness the engine is still under warranty as they will be installing a new engine. So鈥.if you鈥檙e losing coolant and are still covered under warranty鈥..don鈥檛 wait. Get it checked out!

Registered
TCU looks good, just note to plug your antenna into the red port, not the yellow (yellow is secondary RX), as for the antenna I would actually get this chinese knock off or look into sourcing NL1Z-19A390-A from Ford (More of the resellers like Tasca are slowly listing it, it was just announced last week as part of the 21B09 supplement), the antenna is 33$ MSRP from Ford, you can also get this chinese knockoff which I used: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PFLWY77 the downside for this Chinese one is that your TCU will throw a harmless antenna DTC (doesn't show the engine light or anything)

The main reason to use those two over that HL3Z series antenna is that those two just have adhesive and you stick it on wherever versus having to find a bolt and some metal to mount the H series into as it needs ground.

If you really want to save a penny, look into local salvage lots and pull one any 2017+ Ford/Lincoln; they are all interchangable and work fine with each other. EX my local salvage lot listed this for much cheaper: Chassis Control Module 2020 Explorer Sku#3243113 | eBay

For TCUs a good rule of thumb to tell if its 4G is that it will have a separate antenna port compared to just the 20 pin plugs on the 3G ones. The 3G TCU's had the antenna built into the unit whereas all the 4G ones required an external antenna to be plugged into the unit
Is it possible to have a video "How to" with upgrading procedure? I think it will be helpful for all MKC owners :)

21 - 40 of 44 Posts