Lincoln MKC Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know membership numbers here are still pretty thin, so I'm not expecting a lot of responses. But for those of you collecting information on the MKC, I'm curious how many have already made the decision to go with the Lincoln. For those still undecided, what other vehicle(s) are you considering?

My list of possible alternatives:

2015 Edge
2015 Outback
2015 Murano
2015 Lexus NX
Q5 TDI
XC60
V60
Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel

I am particularly impressed with the Edge Concept. I know it will be toned down a bit for production (and it will have door handles), but the general styling theme should carry over. I'd like to see the Edge maintain a V6 option, but an all 4-cylinder EcoBoost lineup seems likely. The 2.7L "Nano" EcoBoost V6 is of particular interest to me, but thus far Ford has only confirmed it for the next generation F-150.

So is it definitely the MKC for you, or does something else have your attention?

Ford Edge Concept

Nissan Resonance Concept

Nissan Murano Pre-production Prototype

·
Registered
90 Posts
Alternatives

Although I have done absolutely no solid research yet (meaning: test drives), at the moment I'm pretty much down to the MKC or the Audi Q5 TDI. I agree the Edge concept looks pretty cool, but based on the current models, I have found driving the Escape more fun than the Edge (this is based on rental car experiences). So, I would be inclined to stick with the Escape-based MKC (though I am sure the new model Edge is an improvement over the current one).

·
Registered
524 Posts
The prototype is actually looking really good under that camo, never would have considered a Nissan before but now i can't wait to see it with no camo or just less camo

·
Registered
324 Posts
Have eith of you guys considering the Q5 considered the smaller Q3 that will be here shortly?

I've considered the Mercedes GLA, but after finding out that build quality on its sibling CLA is not particularly impressive I'll likely pass. The NX could be interesting as a baby RX. To be honest something that really has my attention currently is the new 3 series sport wagon, however starting at $41K handicaps option choice much more than on MKC.

The new X4 could also be interesting but I don't really see me taking a liking to it, I've never enjoyed the X6.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The prototype is actually looking really good under that camo, never would have considered a Nissan before but now i can't wait to see it with no camo or just less camo
We won't have to wait long -- the Murano is scheduled to debut at the NY Auto Show in a couple weeks (along with the Outback). The teaser Nissan released last week looks promising save the poor alignment of the chrome trim at the door seam. It's only a teaser of what was mostly likely a pre-production model, but that seam should have been better than that. Kind of embarrassing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gN7HVt21KHY

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have eith of you guys considering the Q5 considered the smaller Q3 that will be here shortly?

I've considered the Mercedes GLA, but after finding out that build quality on its sibling CLA is not particularly impressive I'll likely pass. The NX could be interesting as a baby RX. To be honest something that really has my attention currently is the new 3 series sport wagon, however starting at $41K handicaps option choice much more than on MKC.

The new X4 could also be interesting but I don't really see me taking a liking to it, I've never enjoyed the X6.
I have considered the Q3. In fact, I was planning to get the Q3 a couple years ago until it was delayed. Then delayed again. Then again. I got tired of waiting and bought the X1 instead. In hindsight, I should have bought an allroad, Q5 or XC60. Or just kept my Subaru. The X1 was a mistake plain and simple. (You'll notice there is no X3, X4 or anything else wearing the blue and white roundel on my list.) The Q3 is still there in the background, but there are so many good alternatives available now that it is no longer at the top of my list.

For the record, the allroad is a really nice car. I know some people are wagon averse, but if you can get past that the allroad is worth consideration. I just found it to be overpriced. I fail to see the logic in Audi pricing the allroad above the Q5.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have considered the Q3. In fact, I was planning to get the Q3 a couple years ago until it was delayed. Then delayed again. Then again. I got tired of waiting and bought the X1 instead. In hindsight, I should have bought an allroad, Q5 or XC60. Or just kept my Subaru. The X1 was a mistake plain and simple. (You'll notice there is no X3, X4 or anything else wearing the blue and white roundel on my list.) The Q3 is still there in the background, but there are so many good alternatives available now that it is no longer at the top of my list.

For the record, the allroad is a really nice car. I know some people are wagon averse, but if you can get past that the allroad is worth consideration. I just found it to be overpriced. I fail to see the logic in Audi pricing the allroad above the Q5.
indeed, thats kind of why I'm ignoring it now. I'm definitely not wagon averse I wish there were more wagons available, if there were to be honest I dont think MKC would be on the radar...

The thing I really like about the MKC and Lincolns in general is that they are luxury cars but you're charged fords labor rate which is a really big plus IMO...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Like HotRod, I have considered the Q3. But the Q5 has received such good reviews, and with the TDI it does achieve remarkable mileage. Also, on a small sample (2) of Q5 owners that I've spoken with, they love the thing.

·
Registered
324 Posts
You know the thing that I'm still having trouble getting my head around diesel wise is the cost of fuel. I get the demand in europe their petrol prices far outstip diesel prices, but in NA our diesel is priced higher. So for all the mileage gains you make from diesel they are essntially washed out when you consider the actual input cost of fuel.

Not to mention DEF/Urea, more frequent oil changes, etc...

Oh and HotRod I thought you might this of interest, the new edge has been spotted wandering around. Fully camoed but its shaping up well...

you know from the profile the edge has a bit of range rover to it...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You know the thing that I'm still having trouble getting my head around diesel wise is the cost of fuel. I get the demand in europe their petrol prices far outstip diesel prices, but in NA our diesel is priced higher. So for all the mileage gains you make from diesel they are essntially washed out when you consider the actual input cost of fuel.

Not to mention DEF/Urea, more frequent oil changes, etc...
A valid point, but diesel prices can vary dramatically from region to region. Heck, just crossing state lines can make a huge difference. Right now diesel is less expensive than premium here in Michigan. There were times last summer when diesel was less expensive the 87 octane. The urea is another expense, but it's a relatively minor one. I believe Audi TDI's follow the same maintenance schedule as the gasoline models, so first oil change at 5k then every 10k after that. You can buy urea at Walmart and fill the reservoir yourself to avoid dealer overcharging.

In addition to fuel mileage, there are three important benefits to diesels that are rarely discussed.

1. Range - I HATE filling up. Like others here, I'm very concerned about the MKC's range. Sounds like we'll be getting around 300 miles on a tankful, hopefully a little more in all highway driving. I've been known to log 2,000 miles on a two or three-day road trip, so 500+ miles on a tankful is enticing.
  2. Torque - We've all felt it. Push you back in your seat torque. It can be addictive. People used to pay a premium to upgrade to V8 power just for the torque, and they did it knowing the operating costs were going to be higher. To get the torque without the added operating costs seems like a win-win to me.
  3. Resale - diesels tend to hold their value considerably better than their gasoline counterparts. The added value at trade-in alone could cover the additional upfront costs, making the fuel savings in between pure gravy.
Diesel certainly isn't perfect. Depending on your location, diesel stations can be hard to find. And the fuel itself smells, so disposable gloves are a good idea for the times you run across a grimy pump handle. But for me, the pros outweigh the cons. If only if were offered in more models.

·
Registered
90 Posts
HotRod, you beat me to it - but gave essentially the same thoughts I have on diesels (but probably said it better than I would have). Wish the MKC would be offered with a diesel, but it certainly is not a deal breaker for me.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I think the chances of lincoln offering a diesel in america is very slim, which is the case for a lot of car makers. I can see them pushing hybrids more than diesels.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Cant stand the front end of the murano, It looks so feckin high and long. Its almost like they went with a sportscar esque nose. Not cool unless its ACTUALLY a sportscar...

1 - 20 of 66 Posts