Lincoln MKC Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I complained about the engine cabin filter being a pain to line up just right to seal everything nicely.
Well the cabin filter is a pain to get at and a pain to replace. Only a few videos to show you how to do it. I was at 62k miles and thought it was time to do it. I was told it was replaced when I bought it as a certified car ~25k miles. I sorta doubt it (from the lack of signs (marks) of getting to it). The filter didn't look terrible.
I would say replace yours every 30-40k miles, but could go longer based on environment.
It will take you about 20-30 minutes to replace if you are 50 years old or older. FYI: I needed a band-aid from something sharp near the lid/cover.
I might make a video (with my photos) on what it will take to replace.
I write the date and mileage on the filter prior to replacement. and have that facing you when you install. Soooo if you hire some establishment to replace it in the future it would be fairly easy to double check their work.
Picture below: location image... center console by top of the floor mat on passenger side. Arrow is the only screw (torx 20) you need to take off then the two small circles identify the tabs you squeeze to remove the lib/cover. The tan trim around the 7 o'clock position pulls off - no tools needed. (use your muscle and it will be easy to remove) The black trim in the large circle which points to the 2 o'clock position will need to come off to replace the filter (three plastic thingies need to be yanked out and a pain. Use a plastic tool if you don't want to scratch the molding up.) OR if just peeking just pull it down (it flexes) .

Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Trunk Bumper

·
Registered
16 Posts
I changed mine out after two years, I can't believe engineers would design such a cluster----! They tell you to simply roll it in! Impossible without cuts and bruises. By the way, my 2017 is still in the shop for a tranny! Contyacted Calif AG, and he called back with a phone number. We shall see!

·
Registered
68 Posts
The cabin filter is a PITA no question - just a terrible design. The OE filter is definitely easier to slide in, but pretty useless as an actual filter element. Granted it is better than nothing, but that is about what you can say about it. I have switched to WIX multi-layer cabin filters. They are more troublesome to get in, but they are worth the effort to have an actual filter element in place.

For that matter I have switched to the WIX engine air filter too. There are no guide tabs, but who cares?! Those filters slide into place without any crushing or trimming as the Ford part requires. Unbelievable that the OE part would be made TOO LONG! Any of the dealer techs would tell you - mostly what they do is crush them vertically to get them to fit - that is why when the dealer replaces those - if you ever remove them yourself they look all mashed and the pleats are bent wonky sideways.

WIX for the win.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Agree in the insane backbreaking design. However, I have noticed mold growth and a sour smell on my filter and suspect a leak somewhere to or near the filter. Does anyone have this issue?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts