Lincoln MKC Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using Krown Rust Control sprayed annually on my previous '08 Escape, '04 Wrangler and my recently traded 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Now I have my newly acquired 2019 MKC Reserve that has not yet been rustproofed, and with winter on the way, I am intending to get it sprayed as well and would be interested in knowing if anyone has an opinion with me having the usual holes drilled and spray applied on this relatively expensive high tech (to me) vehicle, and will I be 'good to go' with this one as well?

Looking forward to your thoughts. Thank you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
We just bought a 2019 Mark C Reserve as well and haven't rustproofed yet either. I don't feel comfortable having holes drilled in the car and would like to think the internal panels are proofed and sealed already. We will just go for the annual exterior spray-on rustproofing. I will call my Lincoln dealer and get their opinion too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello 'Brannigan' and thanks for the reply.

I wasn't getting any feedback on this topic, so last Thursday when we were out for a drive I stopped by a Ford Lincoln dealership and spoke to their parts department manager who came out to the parking lot to look at my MKC. My questions were about interior maintenance products and rustproofing. As far as interior he recommended Mothers VLR for the soft touch dash and plastic parts, lightly dampened cloth for the wood trim and ultra soft microfiber cloth for the screen. When I asked him about rustproofing he said that if I asked the service advisor they would likely try to sell me the 'electronic' rust proofing module and, without me saying, he suggested Krown Rust Control and that drilling the spray application holes would not be an issue, so there you have it from a Lincoln dealer.

As it stands now it's a decision between Corrosion Free, which is only available at Canadian Tire in my area and is sprayed on without access holes being drilled, and the traditional Krown that I have been using for a number of years now. I have to make my mind up soon as winter is not far away at this point.

Thanks again for your input.

·
208 Posts
I am glad you got an response, thanks @Brannigan. I have never heard of anything like this, I thought you northern folks just let them rust. I didn't know there was an option. You may want to tell those people in Michigan because I think all car self disintegrate!;):LOL:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Let them rust - are you kidding ? :oops: At $50,000 taxes in, I want this Lincoln to last as long as possible ! I've heard of those 'electronic' rust proofing modules - total scam in my opinion - maybe the concept is valid but if they really worked they'd sell like hotcakes and I don't know anybody who has one. I'll call my dealership tomorrow . . .

·
208 Posts
Let them rust - are you kidding ? :oops:
I just didn't know there was anything you could do.. My cars rust from the top down in this climate ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let them rust - are you kidding ? :oops: At $50,000 taxes in, I want this Lincoln to last as long as possible ! I've heard of those 'electronic' rust proofing modules - total scam in my opinion - maybe the concept is valid but if they really worked they'd sell like hotcakes and I don't know anybody who has one. I'll call my dealership tomorrow . . .
Let us know what your dealership has to say on this spray rustproofing please.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Okay, I just talked to my Lincoln dealership. What they do is apply a 1 time only undercoating called Platinum Shield which comes with a ten year warranty. This costs $749 CDN and is offered by First Canadian as one of their Vehicle Protection products. It's a sort of thick skin which sticks to the metal parts - sounds good but other web comments say it can also trap water under it if there is a chip or hole in it - valid point there. It sounded good at first but now I'm leaning to the yearly oil spray instead. And yes, the Electronic Rust Module is a totally useless waste of money.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, I just talked to my Lincoln dealership. What they do is apply a 1 time only undercoating called Platinum Shield which comes with a ten year warranty. This costs $749 CDN and is offered by First Canadian as one of their Vehicle Protection products. It's a sort of thick skin which sticks to the metal parts - sounds good but other web comments say it can also trap water under it if there is a chip or hole in it - valid point there. It sounded good at first but now I'm leaning to the yearly oil spray instead. And yes, the Electronic Rust Module is a totally useless waste of money.
Hi, and yes, the type of product you described sounds like the stuff some undercoating shops applied years ago which was just garbage in my opinion, I wouldn't go near the stuff. Best bet I think is either Corrosion Free or Krown Rust Control. I'm waiting for a reply from an email I sent to Lincoln yesterday asking if a Krown application would void my warranty in any way, and if not then I will be going with Krown again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts