Lincoln MKC Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Might be a silly question to ask considering most owners of MKC's haven't had their cars long enough to consider trading, but I'm wondering if anyone has gone from an MKC to an MKX or vice versa? Long story short, my wife and I found out we are expecting twins over the holidays and the rear seat is going to be a bit snug for 2 rear facing seats. I've had my C since December of 2014 and have 23k mostly trouble-free miles on it so my experience with the brand has been great so far.

Took a new X for a spin the other day and fell in love, I just don't want to regret going up in size or maybe the X won't be a big enough size difference to justify the hit I'm going to take trading in a year old car.

Anyone do the trade up to the MKX or down from the MKX and can offer some guidance?

Attachments

·
Registered
795 Posts
Hey all,

Might be a silly question to ask considering most owners of MKC's haven't had their cars long enough to consider trading, but I'm wondering if anyone has gone from an MKC to an MKX or vice versa? Long story short, my wife and I found out we are expecting twins over the holidays and the rear seat is going to be a bit snug for 2 rear facing seats. I've had my C since December of 2014 and have 23k mostly trouble-free miles on it so my experience with the brand has been great so far.

Took a new X for a spin the other day and fell in love, I just don't want to regret going up in size or maybe the X won't be a big enough size difference to justify the hit I'm going to take trading in a year old car.

Anyone do the trade up to the MKX or down from the MKX and can offer some guidance?
Congrats on your twins!!!! :cool:

Don't know of anyone in this forum who has traded/upgraded yet. As you have seen though the size difference is surprisingly not that significant. If you stick with base models the price difference isn't huge. It's all the options the mkx has that you are going to want that makes it very pricey.

As far as overall drive and handling how do you think the 2 compare? I came from driving small sports cars to that big Cadillac SRX as my first SUV- not my initial choice but we had just had a baby and my husband wanted me out of my 2 door... Hated driving the big srx (don't get me wrong , the power and everything else about the car was great, I was just used to driving something way smaller) but as my son grew I appreciated all that space especially when we went skiing or biking.

When it came time for my new car I wanted and looked at all the compact and smaller mid sized SUVs. They are much more fun to drive and I wanted to go back to my "small sports" roots. I finally settled on the MKC. I would have liked it to be a little bigger (just like the mkx which I would have chosen over the MKC at the time but the new one wasn't out yet) and have a few other options in it. The mkx does that for me except for no HUD. But like you said it turns out to be significantly more (at least for me with what I would want) and you only get a little more space for that.

For me I can manage with a smaller sized. I miss that srx space big time though. I think it depends on what you like to drive. If you don't mind big and less sporty I'd be looking at a navigator with 2 on the way LOL. I would imagine 2 in the back of the MKC (then picture taking trips packing the car) is going to be tough. But if you like driving it and don't want to spend a lot if money on extra space you can always make it work. I've seen families of 5 pour out of a little sedan LOL.

I still constantly go back and forth over getting a bigger SUV or not. We travel a lot on weekends and we usually take my husbands car which is an escape titanium. That's bigger than my C. and we are usually pretty cramped on our travels with all our gear. Trying to convince him to go to an Expedition so we have a good family traveling vehicle LOL then I can stay small. I mostly use my C for taking my son to school and local errands.

For me the reason I would chose to upgrade to the mkx is the options offered, not really the little bit bigger size right now. So that would be my motivation. If you are not interested in those options and only the size I might look at other larger vehicles that give you some more space. If I had twins on the way knowing us and our travels I would have to suck it up and go navigator/expedition size LOL.

Hopefully someone else has more insight on the differences. There's some mkx forums out there you could get some info from.

Congrats again on your twins! Are they your first?

·
Registered
881 Posts
Congrats on the good news of twins arriving, life is good....this is a blessing indeed!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Congrats on the twins. I too wanted to upgrade to the X. I was really disappointed after learning that there was no 3rd row. I tried to get a quote for trading in my now year old MKC for the X. Well let me tell you, the value of our MKC's disappeared. My monthly payment would increase significantly. And that was just a quote for the base model MKX. I drive a fully loaded MKC there is no way I'm going back to a base model. You haven't lived until you took a road trip with adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist. My Finace is expecting a baby anytime this month and really wanted something bigger. But I would have to stick it out for another year. And I mostly likely would not get another lincoln. Volvo XC90 would be my new ride

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had an X for a week one of the three times my C has been in the shop. I liked it a lot. Driving dynamic is very nice. It is much more roomy and probably would accommodate your child seats well. The only complaint were some squeaks and rattles. Considering the price, that is unacceptable. However, it was a rental from onsite Enterprise rent a car. Most people beat on loaners so I am not sure my criticism of the interior build quality is fair. Check one out and see what you think.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Oh and I forgot the most important thing to say, Congrats!

·
Registered
795 Posts
Congrats on the twins. I too wanted to upgrade to the X. I was really disappointed after learning that there was no 3rd row. I tried to get a quote for trading in my now year old MKC for the X. Well let me tell you, the value of our MKC's disappeared. My monthly payment would increase significantly. And that was just a quote for the base model MKX. I drive a fully loaded MKC there is no way I'm going back to a base model. You haven't lived until you took a road trip with adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist. My Finace is expecting a baby anytime this month and really wanted something bigger. But I would have to stick it out for another year. And I mostly likely would not get another lincoln. Volvo XC90 would be my new ride

Congrats on your upcoming addition too! Afraid to ask what they wanted to give on a trade...someone else online was complaining about that too

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congrats on your twins!!!! :cool:

Don't know of anyone in this forum who has traded/upgraded yet. As you have seen though the size difference is surprisingly not that significant. If you stick with base models the price difference isn't huge. It's all the options the mkx has that you are going to want that makes it very pricey.

As far as overall drive and handling how do you think the 2 compare? I came from driving small sports cars to that big Cadillac SRX as my first SUV- not my initial choice but we had just had a baby and my husband wanted me out of my 2 door... Hated driving the big srx (don't get me wrong , the power and everything else about the car was great, I was just used to driving something way smaller) but as my son grew I appreciated all that space especially when we went skiing or biking.

When it came time for my new car I wanted and looked at all the compact and smaller mid sized SUVs. They are much more fun to drive and I wanted to go back to my "small sports" roots. I finally settled on the MKC. I would have liked it to be a little bigger (just like the mkx which I would have chosen over the MKC at the time but the new one wasn't out yet) and have a few other options in it. The mkx does that for me except for no HUD. But like you said it turns out to be significantly more (at least for me with what I would want) and you only get a little more space for that.

For me I can manage with a smaller sized. I miss that srx space big time though. I think it depends on what you like to drive. If you don't mind big and less sporty I'd be looking at a navigator with 2 on the way LOL. I would imagine 2 in the back of the MKC (then picture taking trips packing the car) is going to be tough. But if you like driving it and don't want to spend a lot if money on extra space you can always make it work. I've seen families of 5 pour out of a little sedan LOL.

I still constantly go back and forth over getting a bigger SUV or not. We travel a lot on weekends and we usually take my husbands car which is an escape titanium. That's bigger than my C. and we are usually pretty cramped on our travels with all our gear. Trying to convince him to go to an Expedition so we have a good family traveling vehicle LOL then I can stay small. I mostly use my C for taking my son to school and local errands.

For me the reason I would chose to upgrade to the mkx is the options offered, not really the little bit bigger size right now. So that would be my motivation. If you are not interested in those options and only the size I might look at other larger vehicles that give you some more space. If I had twins on the way knowing us and our travels I would have to suck it up and go navigator/expedition size LOL.

Hopefully someone else has more insight on the differences. There's some mkx forums out there you could get some info from.

Congrats again on your twins! Are they your first?
The MKX definitely feels much bigger and holds the road better. The MKC drives beautifully for it's size but the MKX is much more substantial. I drove a loaded 2.7 Ecoboost with the 21" wheels and even with the low-pro Pirelli's (I am definitely NOT a Pirelli fan) it rode extremely smooth and just seemed to float over road imperfections like you were riding on air. I also tried out the 22 way seats and 19 speaker audio, and man there are a lot of gadgets! Nothing but good things to say about it, and the size is right. I just need to get the numbers right.

Trading in a year old MKC when there are still brand new 2015's on the lot that are being so heavily discounted, I fear that I'm going to lose my ass on it. Thankfully I'm in a position where I won't be burying myself with any negative equity but I also don't want to take such a unequivocally massive hit. I fear it's going to be a $20,000-$25,000 hit. I guess we'll find out, I've got my guy working on some numbers but we may be using my F-150 pickup as our kid hauler for the time being.

And thank you all for the congrats! it was a bit of a surprise to us to find out that we were having twins as this is our first round of kidlets and we were planning on having two spaced a couple of years apart. I guess it's going to end up being a package deal... :confused:

Thanks to all who shed some light on the MKC/MKX implication, I will keep you all updated as to what we end up doing!

Reactions: DeMarco

·
Registered
733 Posts
Our former vehicle was a 2011 Edge (similar in size to the MKX) and it was great for road trips with our 2 kids. The Edge did feel much larger than the MKC which it is. We went to the MKC for the opposite reason - The kids are almost out the door and we are getting close to retirement! We wanted plush but smaller and for us the MKC met our needs.

Reactions: DeMarco

·
Registered
524 Posts
Our former vehicle was a 2011 Edge (similar in size to the MKX) and it was great for road trips with our 2 kids. The Edge did feel much larger than the MKC which it is. We went to the MKC for the opposite reason - The kids are almost out the door and we are getting close to retirement! We wanted plush but smaller and for us the MKC met our needs.
That's what I've noticed be the case for a lot of people, which explains the whole big move towards smaller and compact SUV's throughout the market, one of the most lucrative segments too.

·
Registered
795 Posts
The MKX definitely feels much bigger and holds the road better. The MKC drives beautifully for it's size but the MKX is much more substantial. I drove a loaded 2.7 Ecoboost with the 21" wheels and even with the low-pro Pirelli's (I am definitely NOT a Pirelli fan) it rode extremely smooth and just seemed to float over road imperfections like you were riding on air. I also tried out the 22 way seats and 19 speaker audio, and man there are a lot of gadgets! Nothing but good things to say about it, and the size is right. I just need to get the numbers right.

Trading in a year old MKC when there are still brand new 2015's on the lot that are being so heavily discounted, I fear that I'm going to lose my ass on it. Thankfully I'm in a position where I won't be burying myself with any negative equity but I also don't want to take such a unequivocally massive hit. I fear it's going to be a $20,000-$25,000 hit. I guess we'll find out, I've got my guy working on some numbers but we may be using my F-150 pickup as our kid hauler for the time being.

And thank you all for the congrats! it was a bit of a surprise to us to find out that we were having twins as this is our first round of kidlets and we were planning on having two spaced a couple of years apart. I guess it's going to end up being a package deal... :confused:

Thanks to all who shed some light on the MKC/MKX implication, I will keep you all updated as to what we end up doing!
Did the one you drove have the new 21 inch fan blade wheels or the painted ones?

Wow, your dealers still have some 2015s to sell? I'm from the NY-NJ-PA-CT area and I think the 2015s are pretty much gone around here. I see a good amount on the road and I do mostly local driving. Whenever I venture out these days I see one often as opposed to when I first got the car and never saw one.

Please don't tell me its upwards of a 20K hit..that's harsh. My one thing about buying this car, I knew it. In my search I finally narrowed down to this and Q5. As I debated back and forth with my husband on what to pick I kept coming back to the same thing...

We bought this car unfortunately, its not a lease. Between the two I wanted the MKC over the Q5 but I kept saying...its a lot of money for a Lincoln and what if its a piece if junk (my prophecy apparently came true :frown) and we cant resell it? As far as the Q5 they are extremely popular in my particular area which means definite great resell. Plus its an Audi and most will pay more just for that. But I took a chance on the MKC because I liked it better overall. I hoped maybe it would work out and I wouldn't mind keeping the car a couple years and then the hit might not feel as bad when it was time to upgrade. When the MKX came out shortly after I bought my MKC I was bummed as I would have gotten that in a heartbeat (I did not like old edge design of the 2015). But now how do I do that first taking a hit like you said then I have the questionable quality...seeesh...

We will have to find all you new expectant parents some little Lincoln onsies/baby T-s LOL! Congrats again. My sister had twins...get a lot sleep before and plan to put then on a schedule, you will find the ways to manage. It will be the hardest work you will absolutely LOVE :cool:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Congrats on your upcoming addition too! Afraid to ask what they wanted to give on a trade...someone else online was complaining about that too
They offered me a little over $27K. I Owe about 38K on what was a $49k car. Lucky for me I leased the car. So in about another year i'll be good to start over. But **** within a year a 49k car is only worth 27k :crying yikes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Forgot to say thanks. This is my 1st kid. Definitely gonna need to join a baby forum lol

·
Registered
795 Posts
They offered me a little over $27K. I Owe about 38K on what was a $49k car. Lucky for me I leased the car. So in about another year i'll be good to start over. But **** within a year a 49k car is only worth 27k :crying yikes.
Ouch, worse than I even thought. They will turn around and resell it for at least 35 and make even more money.... New ones or very low miles ones seem to be going for around that.

Unfortunately for us we bought. I used to put a lot of miles on my cars so I never considered leasing, didn't want to deal with it. Plus I pick a car I really love and am usually happy keeping it 4-6years. But my attitude has shifted now because of technology. Years ago cars didn't really change so quickly... Now the car manufacturers can't keep up with the technology and I always want the newest tech out. So I am going to want to upgrade my car much more frequently so maybe leasing isn't a bad idea...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Did the one you drove have the new 21 inch fan blade wheels or the painted ones?

Wow, your dealers still have some 2015s to sell? I'm from the NY-NJ-PA-CT area and I think the 2015s are pretty much gone around here. I see a good amount on the road and I do mostly local driving. Whenever I venture out these days I see one often as opposed to when I first got the car and never saw one.

Please don't tell me its upwards of a 20K hit..that's harsh. My one thing about buying this car, I knew it. In my search I finally narrowed down to this and Q5. As I debated back and forth with my husband on what to pick I kept coming back to the same thing...

We bought this car unfortunately, its not a lease. Between the two I wanted the MKC over the Q5 but I kept saying...its a lot of money for a Lincoln and what if its a piece if junk (my prophecy apparently came true :frown) and we cant resell it? As far as the Q5 they are extremely popular in my particular area which means definite great resell. Plus its an Audi and most will pay more just for that. But I took a chance on the MKC because I liked it better overall. I hoped maybe it would work out and I wouldn't mind keeping the car a couple years and then the hit might not feel as bad when it was time to upgrade. When the MKX came out shortly after I bought my MKC I was bummed as I would have gotten that in a heartbeat (I did not like old edge design of the 2015). But now how do I do that first taking a hit like you said then I have the questionable quality...seeesh...

We will have to find all you new expectant parents some little Lincoln onsies/baby T-s LOL! Congrats again. My sister had twins...get a lot sleep before and plan to put then on a schedule, you will find the ways to manage. It will be the hardest work you will absolutely LOVE :cool:
The one I drove originally had the polished 21's which are the fan blade style. I like the style of the painted ones but the polished 21's really caught my eye and just pop. I am currently working out some numbers with my dealer on a loaded 2.7 in shadow black with the cappuccino interior and the blade style 21" wheels.

I actually didn't go straight back to Lincoln. I stopped by Audi and priced out a new Q7. The trade value they gave me for my MKC and the price for the Q7 considering what content you get for the money was truly & unambiguously ridiculous. Also stopped in at Mercedes and priced a GLE350 diesel, I liked the price of the GLE all said and done but they lowballed my MKC again. Then I went to Lexus and drove the new RX and was completely unimpressed. Didn't even end up pricing it out, It was pretty gutless and I just couldn't envision myself looking at it in my garage every day. I ended up back at Lincoln where the trade-in value was the best of the worst, now I just have to do some haggling and decide if it's going to make sense in the end.

Surprisingly I had a chance to sit down with a Lincoln technician. He said the MKC (and anything from the Kentucky plant for that matter) has been a rocky road as far as reliability is concerned, but the Canadian-built MKX has been much improved and he hasn't seen such sporadic and random issues like he saw in the 2015 MKC's. Mind you, I can't complain too much as my C has been pretty good to me.

As far as the kids go, any advice is appreciated! This is completely brand new to us and it's going to be a big learning curve. I told my wife I wanted to name one of them Matthew McConaughey. That did not go over well. :grin Either way, I am very excited to be called a "dad"!

Reactions: psychoart

·
Registered
733 Posts
Well I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum. I have 2 children one is 24 and out of school and wants to be a policeman. He literally lives in the basement and sleeps on the couch in my home theater so I don’t get to use that “toy”. The daughter is 21 and I just sent the second to last tuition check for her college! She is home for winter break so I don’t jet to use my Jeep 2014 Wrangler “toy” much because by daughter “needs” while she is home. Replacing the Edge for the MKC was jumping the gun a bit but I usually don’t keep a vehicle much past 4 years and it was time. Plus, we don’t take the kids on road trips anymore (they prefer to fly). My wife and I just go on trips and the MKC is perfect for us. I have been driving the MKC to work more and I must say after 4 months of use so far it has been flawless and a pleasure to drive. Outside of the larger cargo area of the Edge we really don’t miss it. I remember when my kids were infants and we had a Mercury Tracer wagon and we found that to be too small and moved to a series of Jeep Grand Cherokees while the kids grew up. We enjoyed our Jeeps but the current generation was just too big for us so we went for the Edge and that worked perfectly for us and our grown children. Bottom line, the MKX should serve you well!

·
Registered
795 Posts
The one I drove originally had the polished 21's which are the fan blade style. I like the style of the painted ones but the polished 21's really caught my eye and just pop. I am currently working out some numbers with my dealer on a loaded 2.7 in shadow black with the cappuccino interior and the blade style 21" wheels.

I actually didn't go straight back to Lincoln. I stopped by Audi and priced out a new Q7. The trade value they gave me for my MKC and the price for the Q7 considering what content you get for the money was truly & unambiguously ridiculous. Also stopped in at Mercedes and priced a GLE350 diesel, I liked the price of the GLE all said and done but they lowballed my MKC again. Then I went to Lexus and drove the new RX and was completely unimpressed. Didn't even end up pricing it out, It was pretty gutless and I just couldn't envision myself looking at it in my garage every day. I ended up back at Lincoln where the trade-in value was the best of the worst, now I just have to do some haggling and decide if it's going to make sense in the end.

Surprisingly I had a chance to sit down with a Lincoln technician. He said the MKC (and anything from the Kentucky plant for that matter) has been a rocky road as far as reliability is concerned, but the Canadian-built MKX has been much improved and he hasn't seen such sporadic and random issues like he saw in the 2015 MKC's. Mind you, I can't complain too much as my C has been pretty good to me.

As far as the kids go, any advice is appreciated! This is completely brand new to us and it's going to be a big learning curve. I told my wife I wanted to name one of them Matthew McConaughey. That did not go over well. :grin Either way, I am very excited to be called a "dad"!
OK, naming one after M McC is a little much :smile I'd have to draw the line there. How about "Lincoln" though :nerd Link for short. :smile

Haven't seen those wheels in person, only briefly in the commercial and in the brochure. Looks like a must have. Wish they had more wheel choices, wheels can really make the car..

GLE is kind of big, a lot bigger than the MKX right? Q7 is nice but again big. How does it compare to MKX size? I like how they reshaped the new RX but my goodness I just cant get over that grille, especially on certain colors..

Yeah, I don't know who built my car in Kentucky but someone must have been out all night partying...someone on this forum mentioned about Kentucky auto workers (actually it was Chyrsler) drinking beer on the job LOL.

So are you saying the 27K from Lincoln was the best you could get out of all the dealers? :frown

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Reactions: kmccart
1 - 20 of 34 Posts