Lincoln MKC Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question: The auto hi-beams feature is great and has always worked flawlessly for me. I have recently moved to a high elevation home, though. When I am driving up/down the winding and sometimes steep switchbacks the auto hi-beams DO NOT work, even though it is extremely dark at night with no street lights. When I’m back on fairly level ground the auto hi-beams work flawlessly again. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a flaw in the technology or is it programmed to not work on winding hills for some reason?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Its possible steering angle (and vehicle speed) is some type of input into the feature but I'm not an engineer so your guess is as good as mine.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Funny you mention this....mine works as intended, and I live out in the country with all sorts of switchbacks/hills and everything in between....however I have noticed it does sometimes gets confused with street signs by the side of the roads....when on high beam, if it picks a sign up head it dips the high bean...I believe it has something to do with the reflectance of the signs, as soon as I pass, it goes back to hi beam....maybe the fact it's artificial intelligence and NOT human intelligence has something to do with it!

·
Registered
647 Posts
If your speed drops below 60 kmh, it will also switch to low beam.

Reactions: ddsski

·
Registered
881 Posts
Country guy; "If your speed drops below 60 kmh, it will also switch to low beam."
After reading your comment a few days ago....I actually tried this on my way home....in my case, highbeams remained on high, as my speed dropped below 60 km...50 km....40 km, as long as there was no oncoming traffic or reflective road signs....maybe mine is weird LOL

·
Registered
647 Posts
I misspoke with regard to the parameters. This is copied out of the manual.

Once the system is active, the high beams
will switch on if:
• the ambient light level is low enough
• there is no traffic in front of the vehicle
• the vehicle speed is greater than 25 mph
(40 km/h)

The high beams will switch off if:
• the system detects the headlamps of an
approaching vehicle or the tail lamps of
a preceding vehicle.
• vehicle speed falls below 16 mph
(25 km/h)
• the ambient light level is high enough
that high beams are not required
• the system detects severe rain, snow or
fog
• the camera is blocked

·
Registered
881 Posts
Got ya, thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All, thanks for your insights! The speed factor is most likely my issue since the winding roads used to come up/down the mountain rarely allow for a speed higher than 25 mph. A couple of nights ago I did test it by finding a suitable stretch of road and getting up to 30 + mph. The high beams did not switch on. But maybe that speed has to be sustained for a certain period? Regardless, the auto hi- beams work great in normal driving. Guess I’ll just have to work the hi beams the old fashion way (manually) when coming up/down the mountain. ?

·
Registered
139 Posts
By chance are their reflectors on roadside?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts