Lincoln MKC Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Reviews are coming out on the MKC from all over, and here I will recount to you a summary of what the BBC thought of the MKC.

With the top-level 2.3-litre turbo four engine, BBC says that "acceleration is brisk and fuel economy is acceptable." The noise canceling system works well to keep the cabin quiet effectively, and that is just one aspect of the MKC's "exemplary ride comfort."

BBC says that the MKC's biggest hurdle is the excellence of its rivals. The X3 and the Q5 are formidable opponents to be sure.

Design also gets top marks from BBC, and the final note of the review is a positive one. Lincoln is on its way to full revitalization. It hasn't reached that goal yet, but the MKC is a step in the right direction.

BBC - Autos - Can the MKC save Lincoln?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Wrong size comparison. Aside from length, the MKC competes closest in all-around size with the Q5, X3, and GLK. The GLA, X1, and Q3 are compacts.
Part of the problem is different places group these all in the small/compact SUV category. The segment is growing very fast, and I'd like to see more universal acceptance of things like the GLA, X1, and Q3 referred to as sub-compact (or some other name delineating them as smaller than the Q5/X3).

It's pretty clear from any car forum and several auto review sites that it can be confusing right now to figure out what is an apples to apples comparison in this mishmash.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Part of the problem is different places group these all in the small/compact SUV category. The segment is growing very fast, and I'd like to see more universal acceptance of things like the GLA, X1, and Q3 referred to as sub-compact (or some other name delineating them as smaller than the Q5/X3).

It's pretty clear from any car forum and several auto review sites that it can be confusing right now to figure out what is an apples to apples comparison in this mishmash.
Totally agree!

·
Registered
277 Posts
This is the first review that I think properly says Lincoln can make a case for a place in the market as an 'American Volvo'. My wife bought an S60 in '07 (still under the "Ford Administration, before they sold it to China's Geely), and makes a great case for safe/smooth/luxury/near-sporty. The MKC definitely matches this better in my mind than the targeted, Tutonic Q5.
Too many other reviews just thrash Lincoln for having no identity. Some of us want world class cars made in the USA. And from a company that took NO bailout money (see Volvo sale, above).
Great ride, and it will build a reputation and following (is McConaughy helping with this?):confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wrong size comparison. Aside from length, the MKC competes closest in all-around size with the Q5, X3, and GLK. The GLA, X1, and Q3 are compacts.
Good point! In addition to comparing to vehicles that are not really the same size, the other common issue I've seen in reviews is comparing MKC to vehicles that are not in the same price range. For example, in the Car and Driver review (notoriously reluctant to give a nod to any American brand), it ranks the MKC as 12th -but the group includes Porsche Macan and others that can easily cost 2X or more than similarly equipped MKC. I wonder why they do that.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Good point! In addition to comparing to vehicles that are not really the same size, the other common issue I've seen in reviews is comparing MKC to vehicles that are not in the same price range. For example, in the Car and Driver review (notoriously reluctant to give a nod to any American brand), it ranks the MKC as 12th -but the group includes Porsche Macan and others that can easily cost 2X or more than similarly equipped MKC. I wonder why they do that.
Many do that because they are paid to write, not to get what they write right. :wink

1 - 11 of 11 Posts