Lincoln MKC Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lincoln has been struggling over the past while, but the MKC joins the MKZ in Lincoln's push to come back from the brink. The MKC borrows from Ford's platforms and mechanical parts, but it is so much more than just an upscale Ford Escape.

The MKC looks completely unique. It has wider front and rear tire tracks, a lower center of gravity and suspension elements adapted to a more dynamic driving style. Another defining feature is the tailgate with a larger opening which is molded all in one piece using a process called hydroforming that was developed by a Japanese company named Emino.

Another cool feature is the smart key that senses when you are appraoching the vehicle. At that point, the headlights, light, door handles and the Lincoln logo at the foot side skirts are turned on.

The advent of the Lincoln MKC sees Lincoln getting a step ahead of its rival Cadillac which currently does not offer a SUV in its lineup other than the full size Escalade. The question now is, will the MKC be able to steal some sales away from its German rivals the Audi Q5, Mercedes-Benz GLK and BMW X3.

Do you think the MKC is enough to take on the Germans?

·
Registered
49 Posts
The MKC can certainly copy them. Say what you will, but the MKC is late to the party, copying the successful formula of foreign rivals, and the MKC even copied the Audi Q5's clamshell style rear tailgate.

That said, sometimes the last product entries in a niche are the best products because they have the advantage of learning from their predecessors. I am really looking forward to taking delivery of my MKC eventually.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What things do you think that Lincoln could have learned from other CUVs in the segment that influenced the MKC? I am not familiar with the clam shell hatchback of Audi.

I am just really impressed with this vehicle from Lincln considering what the last Lincoln CUV looked like. I may have posted this picture before, but it warrants repeating. The MKT's rear end is/was hideous.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The MKC can certainly copy them. Say what you will, but the MKC is late to the party, copying the successful formula of foreign rivals, and the MKC even copied the Audi Q5's clamshell style rear tailgate.

That said, sometimes the last product entries in a niche are the best products because they have the advantage of learning from their predecessors. I am really looking forward to taking delivery of my MKC eventually.
Audi did not pioneer the clamshell hatch.... but by your logic the MKC has also copied the Audis use of 4 wheels, 4 doors, an engine to propel itself, and the coup d'grace all wheel drive...

LOL what would the auto industry do without Audi!!

Sorry that was snarky, but you get my point...

·
Registered
190 Posts
I wouldn't really compare Lincoln with any of the German cars.

They have their own market here in North America from buyers who aren't really interested in the German cars (me)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think that you can't deny that Lincoln wishes people who buy German cars would buy Lincolns. Just like how Cadillac would like German car buyers to buy Cadillacs. There are some people who don't want German cars. These people usually want to buy American to support the American car industry, but there are plenty of other people who don't have a natural aversion to German cars. Those people may be buying German cars right now because they like them better, but if American luxury cars were more desirable they would buy them instead.

So, the question is if the Lincoln MKC is more desirable than German SUVs/CUVS? Can Lincoln steal some of those customers and market share?

·
Registered
190 Posts
The MKC is priced in a way where it really only competes with the most basic entry level german cars.

And who wants one of those? As the MKC stands its a much better value than most german rivals.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Personally, I much rather invest in American manufactures.....but they all need to UP the quality and reliability of their product line.....Lincoln take note!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Using Cadillac as an example with the current generation CTS... They created a vehicle as good as the German rivals and priced like the German rivals. The results are a disaster... I was a CTS owner and took a pass when the price climbed from the low 50s to the mid-70s in one year and the next generation. Domestic luxury brands run a fine line between delivering luxury and value. Its all about perception.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The German's have spend years building up a mistic about there cars and fixing pricing. When I lived in Germany I was checking in to buying a American spec'ed car that I could bring back to the states. What I found out was that you could only buy a Mercedies Benz from a American dealer and it you tried to buy a American spec'ed BMW I found that the price was higher in Germany than it was in the US. Net-net, they are controlling their distribution and pricing a much as they can. I ended up with a 300E at the time.

The up side is that they have more money to spend on R&D and that has helped improved their cars. Ford screwed themself when they limited investment in Lincoln as they purchased Jag, Land Rover, Volvo, and Aston Martin. While there was nothing wrong with buying the other brands, the cut back in Lincoln investment is costing them dearly to rebuild. I purchased a Land Rover when Ford owned them.

An additional problem has been the deteration of the dealer network. Most are just Ford dealerships that do not provide the experience you get at other Lux brands.

Ford/Lincoln has the capability to make a world class Lux vehicles, it's going to take great products, and a lot of investments in time and getting their dealer network competitive.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Now that is a gorgeous blue....love it, same goes for the interior....liking it from that pic...glad to read the bench seat is out hopefully for good! Overall the conti looks captivating....very elegant looking car!

Reactions: CanYouMKCmeNow

·
Registered
4 Posts
My MKC is my third Lincoln and there will probably be a fourth. However, I am pretty sure it won't be another MKC. With that said, I traded in an Audi Q5 for my MKC. I loved that Audi, but it did not offer the creature comforts offered on an MKC. The Q5 looks better in my opinion and drives great! They do tend to throw a lot of break dust on the front though - a problem the MKC does not have. I also had a Cadillac SRX, but came to the conclusion that I no longer like a GM product.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts