Lincoln MKC Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine are swollen after 9 months/9K. Could be defect/cheap lug nuts as Ive read Ford fusions have had recalls for a similar problem.

The lug nuts aren't all steel and have aluminum cap on the outside. Water or moisture and rust can get in and swell the cap making it impossible to get your wrench on.

My car is garaged and rarely out in the rain, we had a beautiful dry spring summer and fall here.

Might want to do a quick check before you get stuck (if you are not using road side assistance) and be sure your lug nuts are good and not swelling.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My wrench wont fit on the lug nuts. Just got off the phone with Lincoln. Stated they are sending a new wrench to my dealer to see if that will correct the problem. They have not heard of any problems with this as of yet. She also stated that I am to use the roadside assistance if needed until the problem is fixed.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Just checked, mine is the correct one.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Checked mine as well....all good. Hoping it's just a bad run of the cheap tire iron that they provide. If the lugs are truly swelling, that would definitely be a huge safety issue. Let us know how things turn out.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We were completely stumped trying to get the wheel off :). Never saw or had this happen before. In researching I see ford fusions had a recall for swollen lug nuts...

If cheaper lugs with aluminum caps on top of the steel are used water can get under cap and cause them to swell/expand. It can rust and get corroded under there as well.

I'm not 100% sure that's exactly what happened to mine (in 9months/9K garaged car). It had to have the wheels refinished over the summer due to the inexplicable damage my car sustained last winter so dealer thinks it may have something to do with that. It goes in next week for more problems again so they are going to look at it directly. Hoping I didn't discover a recall :)

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Confirmed swollen by dealership. They replaced them. I had my wheels refinished and they think maybe something to do with that but the lug nuts weren't refinished..unless water got under the caps while at the place refinishing them..don't know and can't confirm for sure.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Thanks for the heads up,i'll check my wrench tomorrow on the lug heads to confirm proper fit! Appreciate you taking the time to post this up,thank you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts