Lincoln MKC Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My collision warning has gone off at the most ridiculous times with car in front of me (traveling in same direction) is turning right and getting out of the way. Beep-Beep-Beep as the car is already half way into their turn and well off the road and of no threat.

Well, I encountered a real near miss situation just the other night. I'm cruising down the road at 45MPH and see person in the oncoming traffic get into the left turn lane, stops and then suddenly proceeds to start turning directly in front of me and more than halfway in my lane. I slammed the brakes, they did what they were supposed to do with the anti-lock chattering as I held the brake pedal down. However it was clear that I was not going to stop before I would enter into a direct collision path.

I fortunately took some really aggressive evasive maneuvering, swerving deep to the right essentially driving around the oncoming car, basically forced to take a 45 degree cut into the cross traffic lanes and then cutting back 45 degrees all with the back end of the vehicle sliding around looking like a person who was an expert at drifting. Thankfully no one was sitting in the cross lanes so that I had that to work with.

When I was clear of the impact area I was thinking WTF was that person even thinking. And then I had another WTF thought... why the heck didn't the collision warning activate? Yep, while it wants to warn me of cars not a threat of collision here's a time that collision was evident as my vehicle would not have stopped before impact. I'm really disappointed in Lincoln's collision warning technology as it clearly failed the test.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Sorry to hear that the collision warning let you down but thankfully you were able to avoid an accident using your own skills which just goes to prove that autonomous driving is not the be all end all.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to hear that the collision warning let you down but thankfully you were able to avoid an accident using your own skills which just goes to prove that autonomous driving is not the be all end all.
I am inclined to agree with you. I can't imagine that an autonomous car would have been "skilled" to avoid the accident. But then I start to think that if other vehicle was autonomous then most likely wouldn't have turned in front of me. So until the whole road is autonomous I currently do not trust the technology.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I don't know how the technology could possibly work in areas where there are winter conditions and the road markings are covered with snow, etc. Besides I like to drive and hate being the passenger so I would not want a car to drive for me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know how the technology could possibly work in areas where there are winter conditions and the road markings are covered with snow, etc. Besides I like to drive and hate being the passenger so I would not want a car to drive for me.
Honestly I don't see fully autonomous cars becoming mainstream for quite some time, if ever. From what I understand there is work to be done to put sensors into the roadway. But until then:

Self-driving cars face a new test: snow

·
Registered
733 Posts
I'm sure there are several inputs into collision alert system including speed, steering angle any braking applied etc. (and who knows what else). On the way to work today, I approached a right turn at a fair amount of speed to beat the light and the system "saw" the pole in front of me (to the left of the right turn lane) and determined that I may hit it since I was proceeding straight for it and sounded an alert. As soon as I changed the steering angle to go into the turn the alert ended. I've also seen the system sound an alert if you are creeping into the intersection to turn left and if your wheels are slightly turned to the left and the vehicle is slightly moving an on-coming vehicle will also trigger the alert. Not there is a sensitivity setting in the menu system, under driver assist.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts