Lincoln MKC Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at some used 2017 MKC Reserves, and wanted to know if people on this forum, in general, feel like it would be a good idea for me to buy a used MKC with this year. Consumer Reports seems to think so, as does JD Power, but I'm a bit confused because if you look at a used Ford Escape the reliability ratings are poor, and as I understand it an MKC is basically the Lincoln version of the Escape. Full disclosure, I did lease a 2016 MKC select and turned it back in 2019 when my lease was up and have not owned a car since then because I've worked from home (single car household since then, my partner still commutes and I wanted to save money and not have a car payment). I had very few problems with my MKC which I put almost exactly 36,000 miles on at lease turn in. The only issue I had was a faulty oxygen sensor that took the dealer a while to troubleshoot and fix which would occasionally cause the engine to misfire.

Are there any particular things I should look for when test driving and evaluating the vehicle? Is this a good quality used vehicle that I will get a few good years of use out of without pouring a ton of money in repairs? I know there are no sure things when it comes to used cars, I just wanted to get a general pulse on thoughts of the MKC 2017 model year.

·
Registered
318 Posts
there is not much difference in model years except for SYNC versions and restyling in 2018+. 2017 and newer have the loaner program when getting work done. I suggest you read the board and see what issues people have. the 2.0 engine is the more common one. and I think second is the THX amp. I was hoping the gear shifting thing that breaks would of been on the recall for Lincolns but I think it was for only Fords.

·
Registered
2017 MKC Reserve, 2.3T AWD. Fully loaded, but no DVD. Bought in May 2020 with 20,400 miles.
9 Posts
I bought a 2017 MKC Reserve with a 2.3 engine AWD and all the options, except the DVD player. Mine was a lease return with 20,400 miles. I bought it May 2020 from the dealership where it was leased. I got the complete service record from the dealer. A Carfax report, also from the dealer. I did a VIN lookup. I drove the car for half a day. I, also, did a review of JD Power and Edmonds and almost every other ‘reliable’ motoring magazine website. All of them said pretty much the same thing. Most of it good to very good. Only major complaint was backseat room and cargo space. While it is based off the Escape, mostly just the engines and transmission were the same. I now have 45,100 miles of completely reliable use. I did have to put on new tires at about 30,000 miles. The factory tires were not the best at that time. I don’t have any rattles or squeaks. Doors and seam gaps are all fine and dandy. The value, according to Kelly Blue Book, is about what I paid for it. It rides very well with the adaptive shock. The technology and features are still equal, or ahead, of new cars. My THX system has always worked well. Only complaint I have is they stopped using 3G internal modem, so I cannot use the Lincoln app to access the oil percentage live or the tire pressure. Not really a problem because both of those are available in the dashboard menu. To update the internal modem is $600+.

·
Administrator
732 Posts
@Buckeye noted the biggest problems to worry about. One other problem I can recall is the transmissions on the 2.3 L can have problems prior to having the powertrain module reflashed

·
Registered
318 Posts
Only complaint I have is they stopped using 3G internal modem, so I cannot use the Lincoln app to access the oil percentage live or the tire pressure. Not really a problem because both of those are available in the dashboard menu. To update the internal modem is $600+.
Great great great point. Have them throw in a new 4G modem if you buy it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My MKC 2.0 Reserve AWD is now around 58k miles, with zero problems.
Bought it as a lease return with 20k on it.
Starts, runs, and drives just like it did at 20k.
Very comfortable car, and does great in the mountain snow! The AWD system is quite advanced.

They threw-in the "Certified Lincoln Pre-owned" as a part of the deal, so I have the 100k power train warranty. Not needed to use it though...but I do have my dealer do all the servicing just to make sure it will be honored if needed.

The only down-side is that the gas mileage isn't that great (for an SUV of it's size), and it is very picky about the gas I use. So, I always stick with "Top Tier" rated fuel from stations I trust. Plenty of power from the 2.0, even at 12,000 feet AMSL, the turbo keeps it feeling like it's at sea level.

I'd consider getting another similar one if the option arises when this one gets near 100k. I guess it would be a "Corsair" at that time though...but they seem quite similar.

Dave O.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm looking at some used 2017 MKC Reserves, and wanted to know if people on this forum, in general, feel like it would be a good idea for me to buy a used MKC with this year. Consumer Reports seems to think so, as does JD Power, but I'm a bit confused because if you look at a used Ford Escape the reliability ratings are poor, and as I understand it an MKC is basically the Lincoln version of the Escape. Full disclosure, I did lease a 2016 MKC select and turned it back in 2019 when my lease was up and have not owned a car since then because I've worked from home (single car household since then, my partner still commutes and I wanted to save money and not have a car payment). I had very few problems with my MKC which I put almost exactly 36,000 miles on at lease turn in. The only issue I had was a faulty oxygen sensor that took the dealer a while to troubleshoot and fix which would occasionally cause the engine to misfire.

Are there any particular things I should look for when test driving and evaluating the vehicle? Is this a good quality used vehicle that I will get a few good years of use out of without pouring a ton of money in repairs? I know there are no sure things when it comes to used cars, I just wanted to get a general pulse on thoughts of the MKC 2017 model year.
Have had my 2017 for 3 years. Love the car. Only issues were a new battery and tires at 35,000 miles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm looking at some used 2017 MKC Reserves, and wanted to know if people on this forum, in general, feel like it would be a good idea for me to buy a used MKC with this year. Consumer Reports seems to think so, as does JD Power, but I'm a bit confused because if you look at a used Ford Escape the reliability ratings are poor, and as I understand it an MKC is basically the Lincoln version of the Escape. Full disclosure, I did lease a 2016 MKC select and turned it back in 2019 when my lease was up and have not owned a car since then because I've worked from home (single car household since then, my partner still commutes and I wanted to save money and not have a car payment). I had very few problems with my MKC which I put almost exactly 36,000 miles on at lease turn in. The only issue I had was a faulty oxygen sensor that took the dealer a while to troubleshoot and fix which would occasionally cause the engine to misfire. Are there any particular things I should look for when test driving and evaluating the vehicle? Is this a good quality used vehicle that I will get a few good years of use out of without pouring a ton of money in repairs? I know there are no sure things when it comes to used cars, I just wanted to get a general pulse on thoughts of the MKC 2017 model year.
I have a 2017 MKC with 48K miles. Took it in last month and there was a mechanical problem which was covered under the warranty, but I found that concerning. Also, you may know that the 2017 has a 3G modem, which operated the Lincoln phone app, allowing you to start your car, among other things. We received a notice we had to upgrade the modem for $525 for the app to work. Most on this forum chose not to do it. I didn't. But these issues point to having an older car getting out of original warranty. I did buy a 6 year bumper to bumper warranty. I bought mine used 2-3 years ago. Someone sideswiped my vehicle and it was in the repair shop for about 10 days. During that time I got a 2021 Toyota RAV 4 (not the hybrid version). I was very impressed. It was getting 27-33 MPG around town versus my MKC getting about 17-19. It didn't have all the bells and whistles the MKC has (like the use your foot to open tailgate), but the mileage was impressive, and the comfort about the same. I'm considering trading for a RAV 4 Hybrid.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts