Lincoln MKC Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received my Jan. 2015 ConsumerReports in mail. Inside they rated luxury compact SUVs The Lincoln MKC received a rank of only 8 out of 11 SUVs. Porsche Macan was 1st followed by BMW X3, Mercedes GLK350,Audi q5,Acura RDX,BMW X1 , Volvo XC60 ,Lincoln MKC, Buick Encore, Cadillac SRX , Land Rover Evoque

So if your out shopping this week you can pick up Jan. Issue of Consumer Report to read article. Or maybe someone will past online article here.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Well first off I would not give Consumer Reports a penny for their thoughts. They have long been a sell out and many find the reviews very biased.

The fact that they even compare the MKC to a Porsche Macan... whatever!!! And sure... if you build the Porsche, XC60, X3, Q5 Caddy with MINIMAL features... yes, you can get down in the low $50Ks... but look at all the features we have for $50K and under???

I tried it... I build a Q5 prestige, loaded SRX, loaded XC60 all were closer to $60K. And frankly I have been driving Ford products for over 30 years now. It may not be perfect and I am sure there are better products... but for me "it just feels right."

I am actually picking up my new MKC in about 2 hours. I have read a lot of reviews... and there are plenty that are not "all" glowing. But again, given the price and platform with the features we can get and stay at or under $50K... I am going to enjoy it and not look back.

Rayo

·
Registered
25 Posts
I didn't read their magazine's review, but I did watch their video review online. It stood out as particularly harsh, and an anomaly when contrasted with other reviews. For example, they criticized the ride quality as subpar. Nearly every other review even from Car and Driver (which weren't particularly glowing either), said the ride quality was a stand out positive and particularly a welcome surprise for Lincoln.

I would take Consumer Reports analysis with a large grain of salt. They've been particularly hard on Ford products for years now, mostly around the infotainment system. I test drove a variety of offerings, and really the MKC was on par or superior in some cases, and when you factor the price and technology stack it's really compelling. We love ours, and it's nice to stand out a bit from the sea of Q5s (At least in my area).

Here's an example of how badly Consumer Reports differs from the industry reviews;

Best Luxury Compact SUVs Rankings | U.S. News Best Cars

US News gives an aggregate score based on analysis of other reviews, they average the reviews out to give a composite rating. Here the MKC is tied for 2nd place in the Luxury Compact SUV segment, losing to the (shocker) Macan.

At the end of the day, drive what you like and be happy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Any ranking is based on a fixed set of criteria and weights, which are likely to differ from those of many, even most individual buyers. In CR's case, the MKC's limited amount of rear seat room will cost it. Plus they no doubt slammed it for MFT. The only thing I'm surprised by is a poor ride quality rating.

It is interesting that the Macan ranks so highly, as it doesn't have much space inside, either. CR does want to prove that they are "real car guys," so performance and handling have more weight than the typical crossover buyer would give them. And even with the 2.3 the MKC isn't as quick as the Macan, X5, Volvo T6, etc.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have also heard about how biased they can be, which is something to also factor into it, they might not be in this case but it's always good to keep that in mind.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts