Lincoln MKC Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading an article about Tesla today the quality issues for that brand comes in 27th out of 28. Lincoln comes in dead last at number 28. The info is based on Consumer Reports so are there and thoughts out there?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't subscribe to Consumer reports nor does the neighbor who parks right next to me with a 2019 Tesla. Maybe,someone on this site has seen a Consumer Reports magazine and can comment.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would rate my 2015 2.3 litre AWD Lincoln MkC as C-C+ in Quality. I love the car. It is surprisingly quick and I also own a 2016 Z51 Corvette. I enjoy driving it and my one complaint is it has a relatively small gas tank. On a good day, I might rate it B. Might. . .

·
Registered
2017 MKC - Midnight Sapphire Blue Metallic
8 Posts
I have a 2017 MKC AWD with less than 30K miles (purchased new) and I must say this is the nicest car I've ever owned!!! And, I have owned MANY, cars over the years... I find the quality of this car to be the best I've owned to date. As far as the new Lincolns, I can't comment as I have not driven one yet. Overall, I would rate mine at least an A.
Just my 2 cents....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our we bought 2 new MKC's 1015 & 2019. My wife loves them! They have quirks up the a$$. The dealer is full of BS as far as service.
I would go with a C rating for the car and an F for the dealer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Kinda makes me wonder which models as well. Our 2018 (approaching 50k miles) MKC hasn't had a problem of any kind, and we run it HARD in the Rocky Mountains all the time. The AWD system is very good! The paint does seem kinda fragile however. It gets chips fairly easily.

CR has always had it out for US car brands. That's how they got started. I pay zero attention to their ratings for autos as a result.

Since an MKC is built on the Escape platform and power train, you would think they would share similar ratings...but I bet they don't. Car and Driver has been RAVING about how tough the new Bronco is, which is also built on the Escape platform. They say it's tougher off-road than most Jeeps. Something to think about. I wouldn't beat-up my MKC like I would a Jeep, but it takes a beating on crummy, unpaved roads in Colorado all the time (in Sport mode), and nothing has ever bent or broken.

Forums are great places for people who've had problems with their autos to come and ***** about them...The thousands who haven't rarely show up. Having said that, I have picked up some really helpful hints and info here though. Maybe that's why my MKC is still going strong.

Dave O.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2017 MKC AWD with less than 30K miles (purchased new) and I must say this is the nicest car I've ever owned!!! And, I have owned MANY, cars over the years... I find the quality of this car to be the best I've owned to date. As far as the new Lincolns, I can't comment as I have not driven one yet. Overall, I would rate mine at least an A.
Just my 2 cents....
My 2017 with 33,000 miles is very noisy. Not sure if it’s axle noise, tire noise or just road noise. It also has an irritating dash rattle. A tech service bulletin tells the dealer how to fix the rattle but the dealer, only one in Charleston, SC, did not fix it twice. I tried followed the instructions but have been unsuccessful. And the dealer gave me a loaner with no gas. Also the front seat has developed a small tear between 2 of the “holes”. Not counting it had to be towed to the dealer once, the battery was replaced just out of warranty and the key fob battery has been replaced twice. I would give it a D.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ken, Same here with the front seat cracking and a replacement before the car had 30k or 4 years old makes me wonder about the quality of the leather. The cushion under the seat had to be ordered so the whole job took 2 weeks. This happened on out 2016 premire and was fully covered with a loaner with the certified warranty.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This is just my opinion but you got to take anything Consumer Reports says with a grain of salt. When researching vehicles I first read about them using Consumer Reports and KBB. The ratings and opinions of the same cars can be NIGHT AND DAY. An example is the Buick Envision (before the redesign) which is similar to the MKC. KBB praised it for its whisper-quiet ride. CR, however, slams it, saying the ride is unsettled and it has "excessive wind noise." How can you have it both ways? To the best of my knowledge CR tests their vehicles at the TRC proving grounds, whereas KBB tests vehicles with real-life, everyday driving, primarily around LA. I guess in other words CR vehicles never leave the track but KBB vehicles get real-world driving. As for the MKC, KBB had good things to say about its ride and handling, such as, "Lincoln gave the new MKC a wide track and a low center of gravity, which greatly improve this compact SUV’s ability to corner and maneuver like a small sports sedan." But CR says, "In contrast to the Escape's composure, the Lincoln bobs around too much on the road; the ride never settles down." For both I'm using the years 2018. I disagree with CR's opinions.
And CR is generally wrong about their reliability ratings, specifically with new cars. An example was the redesigned Chevy Cruze for 2017, which they recommended and praised it for performing much better than the competition. Upon its initial release, their reliability verdict was double green, meaning the best possible rating. But about 1 year later, surprise! The engine is now known to suffer from cracked piston heads, among other issues, and now the overall reliability is rated double red, which is the lowest possible rating.

Reactions: NHFisher

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is just my opinion but you got to take anything Consumer Reports says with a grain of salt. When researching vehicles I first read about them using Consumer Reports and KBB. The ratings and opinions of the same cars can be NIGHT AND DAY. An example is the Buick Envision (before the redesign) which is similar to the MKC. KBB praised it for its whisper-quiet ride. CR, however, slams it, saying the ride is unsettled and it has "excessive wind noise." How can you have it both ways? To the best of my knowledge CR tests their vehicles at the TRC proving grounds, whereas KBB tests vehicles with real-life, everyday driving, primarily around LA. I guess in other words CR vehicles never leave the track but KBB vehicles get real-world driving. As for the MKC, KBB had good things to say about its ride and handling, such as, "Lincoln gave the new MKC a wide track and a low center of gravity, which greatly improve this compact SUV’s ability to corner and maneuver like a small sports sedan." But CR says, "In contrast to the Escape's composure, the Lincoln bobs around too much on the road; the ride never settles down." For both I'm using the years 2018. I disagree with CR's opinions.
And CR is generally wrong about their reliability ratings, specifically with new cars. An example was the redesigned Chevy Cruze for 2017, which they recommended and praised it for performing much better than the competition. Upon its initial release, their reliability verdict was double green, meaning the best possible rating. But about 1 year later, surprise! The engine is now known to suffer from cracked piston heads, among other issues, and now the overall reliability is rated double red, which is the lowest possible rating.
I agree about taking Consumer Reports with a grain of salt however i live in a large northern metro area where the streets have been neglected for years. It has been said we are 30 years behind in paving. The Lincoln is the WORST ride i have ever had in this city but the best ride when the pavement is fairly decent. The car "bobs" just like Consumer Reports said so you can understand where it was tested. This is also the smallest vehicle i have ever owned in 50+ years of driving. Some streets i just avoid because the ride is punishing in parts of the city.

·
Registered
2019 Mark C Reserve
57 Posts
I agree about taking Consumer Reports with a grain of salt however i live in a large northern metro area where the streets have been neglected for years. It has been said we are 30 years behind in paving. The Lincoln is the WORST ride i have ever had in this city but the best ride when the pavement is fairly decent. The car "bobs" just like Consumer Reports said so you can understand where it was tested. This is also the smallest vehicle i have ever owned in 50+ years of driving. Some streets i just avoid because the ride is punishing in parts of the city.
Check your ride and handling settings - maybe you have it set to 'Comfort' instead of 'Normal' - that would give you a bouncier ride for sure.

·
Registered
2019 Mark C Reserve
57 Posts
If anyone has a copy of the March 2021 issue of Consumer Reports, turn to page 56. It has an article on the most and least liked brands. Most liked brand is Tesla - guess which comes in at the number 2 spot ? Yes - Lincoln.
88% of buyers would buy Tesla again, next is Lincoln with 79% . This is miles ahead of BMW at 70%, Lexus at 67%, Mercedes at 64% and Cadillac at 59%. No worries !

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If anyone has a copy of the March 2021 issue of Consumer Reports, turn to page 56. It has an article on the most and least liked brands. Most liked brand is Tesla - guess which comes in at the number 2 spot ? Yes - Lincoln.
88% of buyers would buy Tesla again, next is Lincoln with 79% . This is miles ahead of BMW at 70%, Lexus at 67%, Mercedes at 64% and Cadillac at 59%. No
It sounds like Consumer Reports is slinging BS because the November 21,2020 reliability ratings had Tesla 27th and Lincoln 28th at dead last.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My subscription is almost up but here's some more detail from March 2021 from the article "The Most Satisfying Cars on the Market"

Note the first image mentions Lincoln as having reliability concerns (as seen in the last two images), but is still one of the most satisfying brands despite the issues. Lincoln's reliability isn't stellar but the brand has a loyal following like Tesla. New-car satisfaction is based on the first three years of ownership when everything is still under warranty.
Note in the second image that the Corsair (MKC's successor) is among one of the most satisfying models including the Aviator. But no mention of the Nautilus or Navigator.
The last two images are comparing the Corsair's reliability to its competitors. Their data shows it as having significantly more owner complaints than other vehicles.

Font Number Screenshot Document Terrestrial plant

Rectangle Font Number Screenshot Parallel

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Software

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Software

·
Registered
2019 Mark C Reserve
57 Posts
You should be able to get into the Vehicle Menu with the left hand keypad on the steering wheel. You can select Comfort, Normal, or Sport for the handling/ride - and throttle response - and assign those settings to the D or S buttons on the center console. I use Normal for the throttle response in D & S modes, and Comfort handling in D, normal Handling in S.
I find the acceleration in Normal is plenty quick for me.
The MKC has an amazing flexibility with all its different settings if you dig into the owners manual to find them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts