Lincoln MKC Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2019 MKC Reserve & have some questions. The car I replaced had an O/D Off button on the gear shift knob that I pushed while driving down a mountain to help the car brake. I can't figure out how to shift to a lower gear on this vehicle. I'm thinking it is the "S" button, but if so, at what speed can I safely shift into it & how do the paddle shifters on the steering wheel work? The brochure doesn't adequately explain the different gears. I'm going from a 2002 RX 300 to this vehicle & there are many differences. Thank you for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
733 Posts
If you press the "S" button on the dash the paddles become active. The PCM will still manage the shifting a bit if you choose the wrong gear or wind the engine too high.. Also note if you have ride control there are setting and throttle response when you select "S".

Reactions: symetry

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the quick reply, Blankster. Do you need to be at a dead stop when you shift from "D" into "S" or can you select it at any speed?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Paddles are active in both D and S modes, but the shift points are different. I often downshift while in D mode when coming to a stop. I'm sure I have shifted between D and S modes while driving. When in S mode, the system is expecting you to shift with the paddles and will only automatically shift if the engine is revving too high. I believe the S mode provides more engine breaking. A quote from my 2017's owners manual pertaining to the S mode:

The transmission will automatically upshift if
your engine speed is too high or downshift
if your engine speed is too low.
Note: The system will stay in manual control
until you make another shift button selection.
For example, drive (D).

·
Registered
647 Posts
In a situation like that you can just use the paddle shifters to shift down....you don't have to switch from D to S. I do it all the time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you, Countryguy. That's the answer I was looking for. I replaced a 2002 Lexus RX300 with my new MKC & I wasn't at all familiar with paddle shifters. A lot has changed in 16 years :) I will feel confident that I won't grind the gears now coming down that mountain. Thanks again.

·
Registered
48 Posts
HE LL You can hit reverse at 50 MPG and not damage the trans.....Don't ask. IF you do shift into reverse while traveling the backup camera comes on..

Reactions: KenZ and symetry

·
Registered
276 Posts
Paddles are active in both D and S modes, but the shift points are different. I often downshift while in D mode when coming to a stop. I'm sure I have shifted between D and S modes while driving. When in S mode, the system is expecting you to shift with the paddles and will only automatically shift if the engine is revving too high. I believe the S mode provides more engine breaking. A quote from my 2017's owners manual pertaining to the S mode:
My 2019 MKC 2.3 AWD in S mode shifts automatically, no need to shift to next higher gear, and don't necessarily have to use the paddle shifters while in S.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts