Lincoln MKC Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had my MKC for 3 weeks and am annoyed that the chrome exhausts sag down a little more then I think it should from the bumper. Now don't get me wrong, I don't want it jammed up against the bumper, but on my MKC there is enough space between the bumper and the top of the exhaust for me to easily fit my hand in between. Most people (wife, friends, etc) don't even notice such things but I guess I'm picky about those kind of things.

The problem is two part - 1) If I back the car up while parking and there is a slightly raised sidewalk or cement parking block, I could scrape the chrome against it and do some damage. 2) I just think it looks better when it fits tighter to the bumper.

Now I find myself looking at all other makes of cars on the road and for the most part the exhausts fit tighter to the bumper then my MKC. I visited my local dealership and looked at the other MKC's on the lot and found that most fit just a little tighter, but there were also some that hung as low as mine. I guess the assembly line in KY isn't very consistent. In any case, I asked the dealers service manager about it and he said when I come in for service he would put it on a lift and see if any adjustments could be made...but he seriously doubted it. Anyone experience the same thing? Anyone able to have it fixed?

Reactions: JefffromNH

·
Registered
214 Posts
I checked ours and I can definitely fit my hand between the chrome exhausts and the bumper. I guess I never noticed it before.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I can fit my hand in between mine but like it like that because it's much easier to clean/wipe off. Plus with the height & the way the pipes are configured it would be quite difficult to scrape the bottom.

·
Registered
67 Posts
And has anyone noticed how black the pipes become on these Ecoboost engines?

·
Registered
214 Posts
And has anyone noticed how black the pipes become on these Ecoboost engines?
Yep. We wipe them out every time we wash the car.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have always had V-6 engines in my cars in the past and their emissions barely made the chrome dirty. But now I have two turbo engine cars and they both make the exhausts dirty after just a few days of driving. I learned a lesson from a car detailer...if you let it get too dirty to remove with a cloth or cleaner, spray a gentle cleaner on the exhausts and gently rub with fine steel wool. It worked like a charm to get the black exhaust off the chrome inside and out. I was afraid the steel wool would scratch it, but I guess the spray acts as a wetting agent so you are not rubbing it dry. I suggest you go slow on a small part of the chrome first to make sure it doesn't scratch as all chrome finishes are not made the same. Waxing the outside chrome with a plain carnuba (with no cleaning agents in the wax) will also help protect it. Needless to say, do this when the pipes are cool to the touch.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Boy do they ever get dirty! Almost look like the exhaust on my husbands diesel pick-up. I've been wondering how I could clean them up a bit.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just painted mine black. Now they look like a after-market exhaust. I put the Z0-6 exhaust on my C-5 for the same look.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here are mine. I once had a car that had the top of the exhaust mounted tightly against the bottom of the bumper. I was driving over a ramp at a dealership and hit the exhaust, wedging it against the bumper (bent it too). I think that if I had some additional clearance the exhaust may not have been damaged. I can fit my hand between the exhaust and bumper and agree that as high as the car sits, they are proportionally correct.

Fritz

Attachments

Reactions: kmccart

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the photo Fritz...and that's my problem, mine are lower then yours. If mine were at your level, I'd have no issue. Let's trade!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts