Lincoln MKC Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have put most all of my music on a thumb drive to play in the car. Sometimes when I play an album, the songs are duplicated and play twice in a row. I have double checked this on my computer, and they do not show up twice. Any ideas?

·
Registered
15 Posts
..... I have double checked this on my computer, and they do not show up twice. Any ideas?
There's the tell-tale ..... the problem is with your SYNC Index for that drive, nothing to do with the drive itself.

Sometimes, especially if you remove and re-insert the same drive with no or few changes to it's content, SYNC re-indexes the drive while still retaining bits and pieces of the previous index for that same device - confusion when SYNC goes to playback from that device using its (now confused) index data is the result. The problem is wholly within SYNC's indexing system - nothing to do with the music source device.

You can try a menu-based SYNC reset but I've found that often the only sure-cure is disconnecting the negative battery cable under the hood for ~15 minutes which forces a master reset of ALL vehicle module volatile memory (e.g. learned adaptive shift strategy will then have to be 're-learned'). IF you can figure out the fuse(s) that provide power to your APIM (aka SYNC module), pulling those accomplishes the same without affecting other vehicle memory.

Two observations I've made .....

1. If you don't remove the device/drive the problem doesn't arise; keep a redundant 'copy' on another drive for other uses.

2. If, when you pull the drive to add or delete music data, do the same for your 'redundant drive' and alternate the drives when inserting them in the SYNC vehicle - it seems that even if the content is identical SYNC detects the 'alternate' as a different piece of hardware and doesn't then confuse to 'old' with 'new' device when it re-indexes the drive.

Odd and idiosyncratic behavior I know, but that's been my observations.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback. I remember seeing something about re-indexing, but could not find it until today and it was very easy. While the thumb drive/media player is playing, hit the settings menu. Then hit the media player button, and there is an option to reset media. When you hit that, a screen pops up basically telling you that if you want to re-index, remove the thumb drive and then when it is re-inserted the index will re-set. I did this, and the album where I had the duplicates was cleaned up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts