Lincoln MKC Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 3 week old MKC is scheduled to go to the dealer monday when the service opens because is, once again, dead. Unresponsive in any way to the key. Last time they replaced the "body control module" and pronounced the problem fixed. I guess not. On the plus side the Lincoln roadside assistance has scheduled the tow at no cost to us. On the huge minus side this is destroying our:frown now limited faith in the quality of this car. It is about time to check out the Delaware Lemon Law to be prepared if this situation isn't completely resolved.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Our 3 week old MKC is scheduled to go to the dealer monday when the service opens because is, once again, dead. Unresponsive in any way to the key. Last time they replaced the "body control module" and pronounced the problem fixed. I guess not. On the plus side the Lincoln roadside assistance has scheduled the tow at no cost to us. On the huge minus side this is destroying our:frown now limited faith in the quality of this car. It is about time to check out the Delaware Lemon Law to be prepared if this situation isn't completely resolved.
How long had it been sitting for this to happen again. Was this just overnight or longer? I am half tempted to pull mine out of the nice warm garage it lives in (yes I heat my garage) to let it sit in the snow. Give it a real world test.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
According to the dealer it was a battery failure. Battery replaced. We will pick up the car tomorrow. Sure hope there isn't an underlying electrical/electronic cause for the battery failure. Have to say that the dealer (Carman) has done as much as possible. They delivered a loaner to my wife today.

Car was running just fine Sat, drove it to lunch and shopping, all the electrical stuff worked, power rear door went up and down, it locked. Sunday it was dead as a doornail. As far as we know it did not have a repeat of the earlier extended, regular blinking of the external lights to cause this failure. That problem should have been solved by replacing the body control module.

All we can do now is hope it's solved and gradually regain trust as it continues to run.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I hope that resolves your issue calebho.

Ours has been outside in near -40. We plug it in for 3hours and it starts great. The wife parks it at work for 5 hours in those temps and it starts great without being plugged in.

So far ours has been working great. Really hope you can regain your trust.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Well I just parked mine in a garage in Chicago. Its 14 degrees... and will be in that garage until Wednesday evening. I am sure hoping it starts :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well I just parked mine in a garage in Chicago. Its 14 degrees... and will be in that garage until Wednesday evening. I am sure hoping it starts :)
Absolutely... have a safe trip

Reactions: RayoVac

·
Registered
188 Posts
Absolutely... have a safe trip
I found a space in the parking garage on an end row as you turn right to continue up the ramp. Thus my drivers side front is readily accessible if a jump from another vehicle is required.

Sincerely... I am hoping that it just behaves the way it should. Keeping my fingers crossed :wink (ha I just looked... 10 degrees in downtown Chicago right now)

·
Registered
188 Posts
I found a space in the parking garage on an end row as you turn right to continue up the ramp. Thus my drivers side front is readily accessible if a jump from another vehicle is required.

Sincerely... I am hoping that it just behaves the way it should. Keeping my fingers crossed :wink (ha I just looked... 10 degrees in downtown Chicago right now)
Ohhh and also... just to remove any potential variables, I unplugged my Savvy OBDII plug for my Valentine 1 radar detector. The points in the OBDII where the Valentine pulls power go dead with no ignition... witnessed by the Valentine shutting down... but I wanted to make sure there was no way that was somehow influencing the problem.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Ohhh and also... just to remove any potential variables, I unplugged my Savvy OBDII plug for my Valentine 1 radar detector. The points in the OBDII where the Valentine pulls power go dead with no ignition... witnessed by the Valentine shutting down... but I wanted to make sure there was no way that was somehow influencing the problem.

If I were you, I would remotely start your MKC via MyLincoln App every 3 days or so because of that frigid weather. :grin

·
Registered
188 Posts
If I were you, I would remotely start your MKC via MyLincoln App every 3 days or so because of that frigid weather. :grin
Haaa... I have been taking status updates via the app... of course if I could actually start it multiple times remotely it would not be a terrible idea just for sanity of having a vehicle the works. But I think the remote start, even from the app... has a limit to the number of times before you have to actually start the car to reset.

And frankly... it should be able to go a full week or more outside, without being started. So I would rather test it now when it won't affect a client engagement/scheduling vs. a time when I get screwed by it and I really need it.

I will update later tomorrow night after I return to it in the garage. It will have only been left since Monday night. Its been pretty cold here in Chicago... so it should be a decent test. I would not think it should even turn over slowly or anything. 3 days should be a walk in the park for any new, modern vehicle... regardless of the amount of technology contained within.

Rayo

Reactions: greg9233

·
Registered
188 Posts
Well good news... came back to the car this evening after sitting in the cold of downtown Chicago since Monday night. It started NO problems... did not even turn slow or anything. Acted completely normal.

Now... for some reason the MyLincoln mobile app could not remote start it. Whic sucked, cause it was really cold to get in. But I have had that happen on and off. I don't really think there is anything wrong, I think it is more about the data device (modem etc.) not having a great reception opportunity. I was parked on the second level, on the very inside, of a 10-12 story parking garage.

While I was sitting here I just tried to start it while it sits in my garage. Started no problem and shut back of when told. Soo again, probably just a reception issue.

What I wish I knew... does the data device used for this connection use 2G/3G cellular or is it somehow satellite. If the latter, I suppose it could be affected negatively just like the radio drop outs.

Anyone know how that modem communicates?

Rayo

·
Registered
3 Posts
Electrical issues

Is anyone have an issue with the electrical system getting "stuck" on their MKC? i remotely started mine and the auto heat was on, when i tried to turn off it kept changing the radio station. i parked it for an hour and came back and it had reset, this was a couple of months ago. this past saturday i remotely started it and the screen was stuck again, this time the thermostat was showing 73 when it was 92 outside, and again when i restarted it later it had corrected itself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Our 3 week old MKC is scheduled to go to the dealer monday when the service opens because is, once again, dead. Unresponsive in any way to the key.
I had exactly this same experience with my (then) month old MKC. The road side assistance folks send out a tow truck that jumped the battery and I drove it to the local Lincoln dealer. They kept the car for two days before giving it back with a "nothing wrong" diagnosis.

That was the last time I ever deal with that dealership. I talked to a nice lady from Lincoln's support center and she informed me I could go to the local Ford dealer instead. (It's a different dealership... don't ask.)

I talked to the folks at the Ford service center and we developed a plan of action for the next time this happens:

1. Attach an external battery to the car.
2. DO NOT JUMP START THE CAR.
3. Use an external battery to shift into N.
4. Have the car towed to the dealership.
5. Let them attach it to their electrical system test rig and figure out WTH is wrong.

They think that by jump starting the car off the external battery, that we masked the real problem to the point that the folks at the Lincoln dealership couldn't see it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Well since we are digging up an old thread and I have been pretty quiet around here... just a little update.

I am now going on a total of 4 times being stranded with a dead car, 5 service department visits and a total of 38 days without my vehicle (and counting as the MKC has been at the dealer since last Friday).

They have replaced some module under the steering column and battery after the first incident, the body control module after the second incident yet problems still continue. Now my Safety Restraint System Module has failed, no airbag operation... apparently they don't want me driving it in that condition. ;)

Have been in contact numerous times now with follow up by Valerie Houston with Lincoln... at my second dealership (per Lincoln's advice) for service.

Upside... They did the TSB for the heated seats and they did the TSB for the rough transmission shifts... which actually seems to be way better.

Downside... the clock still loses 3-4 minutes daily, the dash lighting won't retain its settings day to night, the odometer is gaining 1 mile every 50 compared to multiple GPS and road based sources, same Satellite radio drop outs everyone has and oh yeah, if I leave it for a week while traveling I most likely will come back to a dead vehicle.

I love the looks, the way it drives (especially now with the Transmission acting correctly) I have been driving Ford products for over 30 years... so I love the way it feels. Just wish they could figure out what is responsible for all the electrical gremlins and knock it out.

Reactions: JefffromNH

·
Registered
30 Posts
What is the tsb number for the rough transmission shifts.. Thanks
Rick

·
Registered
210 Posts
You should consider demanding that they take it back as a lemon. You have more than met the number of service visits and days out of service for it to meet the criteria. I did this once with a BMW in TX, after some sending some letters back and forth they gave me a new car.

Yours is definitely a lemon, you deserve to have it replaced so you can enjoy the car, which you like otherwise. Sometimes this just happens, can be with any make.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The Service for the Transmission is listed on my report as - "Reprogrammed PCM Per TSB 15-0051"

And my parts replaced so far:
BXT-48H6-610 - Battery
EJ7Z-3F791-CA - Housing Assembly (Steering Column Control Module)
EJ7Z-15604-B - Body Control Module
GJ7Z 7864811 B - Pad - Seat Back
GJ7Z 7864810 B - Pad - Seat Back
GJ7Z78632A23A - Seat Pad
GJ7Z78632A22A - Pad-Seat Cushion
XXXXXXXXXXXX - Safety Restrain System Module (whatever its part number is going to be)

No word from the dealership today... so the total is now 39 days, 27 business days without my vehicle.

Todd... I agree... my fear is its just not going to be an easy task to get Lincoln to take it back and give me a new one. I read about the Indiana Lemon Law stuff... and even though I know I am getting close to meeting all the criteria (if not already meeting it) I would have to retain an attorney and then it might take years to get it done. I really just want it all fixed. But at the same time, the whole odometer gaining way more miles then I am driving and the electronic gremlins that are just "coincidentally" popping up, like the most recent issue with the Air Bag Safety Restrain System failing... I have to wonder how many more systems will just up and fail given the track record so far and given the continuing very odd issues of the clock loosing time, light settings, odometer etc. etc. And of course the real test, leave it sit for a week or two and see if its dead or not when I get back.

Sigh..... :(

Reactions: JefffromNH

·
Registered
188 Posts
What is the tsb number for the rough transmission shifts.. Thanks
Rick
The Service for the Transmission is listed on my report as - "Reprogrammed PCM Per TSB 15-0051"

·
Registered
210 Posts
It took 3 weeks and no attorney when I did it. It helps to be able to write letters in a concise and demanding tone. If you meet the criteria for your state, there is nothing they can do to refuse. The law will say what is expected of you. They will balk and try to offer you something else. Just be firm and tell them no. Start with Lincoln customer service, not the dealer, and get it escalated to a manager quickly. Get a case number as soon as you can. Good Luck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts