Lincoln MKC Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally my wife also heard it.

While driving from a dead stop and it could be at any speed up to 40 mph, I'm hearing this thud right behind me and I can feel it in the seat. I checked everything in the cabin and nothing is loose.

Only happens once in a while and I'm trying to determine if it happens when the mkc has been sitting a while.

It's almost like someone left a bowling ball in the trunk and its slamming against the trunk lid but it's right behind me.

We have an appointment with Lincoln on Sept 4th but wondering if it could be the transmission.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sounds like a tranny issue, and may simply require a software update. I had this happen on an '08 Sport Trac (when new). When slowing down/stopping, there would be an extra "push" from behind. It was the transmission, and the simply updated the software.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Sounds like my drive shaft (Ford Explorer) which needed to be greased.

·
Registered
277 Posts
You neglected to note what drive train you have.

Is it a 2.0, 2.3, AWD?

Reactions: symetry

·
Registered
277 Posts
Right.

Makes sense I think to have dealer check that rear drive for something slipping or loose. I rented an Escape AWD the other day and heard a clunk similar to what you describe also coming from the rear. Most of the time it was when backing up slowly while turning, but always low speed.
Since it was not mine of course I don't have a definitive diagnosis for you.

Does not sound like anything to keep you off the road but should get addressed soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Transmission

2015 MKC 2.3 AWD. Started off as clunking and hard shifting, now at 48k miles transmission is done! I'm lucky to have a warrantee. I have only owned this vehicle 4 months and it's been in the shop 4 times now.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2015 MKC 2.3 AWD. Started off as clunking and hard shifting, now at 48k miles transmission is done! I'm lucky to have a warrantee. I have only owned this vehicle 4 months and it's been in the shop 4 times now.
Sorry to hear that. Mine is going in tomorrow, but in my case, no hard shifting, just this thud (43,000 miles) and should be under the CPO warranty.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took the service tech out for a ride today and he heard the noise, but wasn't to confident that they can locate and fix.

Hopefully I'll know within a day or 2. If by chance they can't fix for whatever reason...bye bye MKC,

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sort of an update.

Lincoln claims that the thud is the transfer case caused by different tires on the front/rear.

About 6 weeks go we changed the fronts and not the backs as they were still good. The thud noise started a few weeks ago, but has been happening more now.

Not sure if they're yanking my chain, but they said before they will consider anything else, I will first need to get new
tires for the rear. Ended up at a local tire shop who has heard about this with Suburu AWD's but not Lincoln.

So I ended up having the local tire shop order me 2 of the same tires they installed in July and should have them on in a few days.

Hope this helps, otherwise, the Mrs. will be turning into Godzilla when we bring the the MKC back to Lincoln.

Stay turned.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Lincoln claims that the thud is the transfer case caused by different tires on the front/rear.

About 6 weeks go we changed the fronts and not the backs as they were still good. The thud noise started a few weeks ago, but has been happening more now.
I might suggest calling the guy back, record the conversation, and ask if you were to have all matching tires would the noise go away?
then ask if not would he concede that it was not the tires.
(do investigative questions) If you get the "I don't know" then respond back with "then you admit you don't know where the noise is coming from"

"it can't be the tires and then replace the tires and still be there"

If you got a crappy dealer if you come back with matching tires he may say " damage was done and changing tires won't help now"

----------------
I'm no mechanic but I never heard of tires making or causing clunking noise.

Where do you get an oil change? You might ask if they ever grease the fittings/nipples. (around the tire areas(ball and joints) and drive train) If not ask they if there are any grease nipples associated with the drive shafts and joints they will grease for you?

·
Registered
644 Posts
I admit to not being mechanically inclined but why would different tires on the front/rear cause a thud in the transfer case...as long as all 4 tires are the same size?

·
Registered
83 Posts
That may not be your issue, but I would always replace all 4 tires at once (unless 1 is blown and the rest are fairly new). The tires may have the same size on the sidewall, but they are not exactly the same size (circumference) if 2 are new, and the others are worn. Most tire shops will not replace 2 -- especially on an AWD or 4wd.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Getting the tires replaced hopefully Monday as the local shop needed to order them. I even tried other shops and unfort no one had them.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well shut my mouth (so far). Had the new tires installed today (same as the fronts that were done in June) and so far no thud.

Tomorrow will be another test.

·
Registered
733 Posts
These AWD systems are very sensitive to tire diameter - If they sense the rotation of tires front to rear is different it will think there is some slippage and try to compensate.. Head mechanic at my dealer has seen the PTU fluid boiled from different tires used front to rear.

Reactions: symetry

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
what tires did you get? out of curiosity..TIA, and what's your opinion of them?
2nd day of driving with the new matching rear tires (fronts were changed in June 2018) and so far, no more thud.

The mkc even seems quieter on the highway with the matching tires.

I ended up buying Uniroyal Tiger Paw GTZ 245-45-19 which was the OEM size. They received a good review and the price was $147 per tire, which is a great price. But then they add on balancing, mounting....the usual stuff.

| Uniroyal TigerPaw GTZ

At this time I would def buy them again.

·
Registered
232 Posts
2nd day of driving with the new matching rear tires (fronts were changed in June 2018) and so far, no more thud.

The mkc even seems quieter on the highway with the matching tires.

I ended up buying Uniroyal Tiger Paw GTZ 245-45-19 which was the OEM size. They received a good review and the price was $147 per tire, which is a great price. But then they add on balancing, mounting....the usual stuff.

| Uniroyal TigerPaw GTZ

At this time I would def buy them again.

Thanks for replying...glad your issue is resolved...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts