Lincoln MKC Forum banner

Gas fill reading

3K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Mike741976 
#1 ·
After driving the MKC for a couple months the range until fill up began at 312. That was last June and around August the readings began to drop into the low 290s, then 280s and then the 270s around xmas. The oddity was mentioned at the dealer which told me it was driving habits being short trips. Perhaps that is true and if so this is the most advanced tech vehicle i have ever had. The system was reset at the dealer and they said it will level off. That was 3-4 months ago and every fill up says 273. Any thoughts?

#2 ·
I have actually been wondering the exact same thing and I just thought maybe the its seasonal blend of gasoline! I used to be in the low 300s, but I haven't been able to get past around 270s. What gives?

#3 ·
The dealer said it would return to normal so the next time i will have them investigate. My guess is the car computer sync's with drivers habits. When multiple trips say at least 100mi. back to back happens i bet the readout would rise. If you have had a stretch with short trips for a while my theory could be right. If not, it's just a theory. I haven't put on more than 20 miles on a trip in more than a few months now.

#4 ·
I thought I read someplace the gas tank is ~16 gallons but when I am close to empty the most I can add is ~11 gallons and when I fill up I never get above "300" miles. usually 290. but others including the loaner from Lincoln when filled seem to show 330-340. makes me wonder if there is more going on. Glad I am not alone on this.
Do any of you use the Auto start/stop? (I don't) If you are a city driver using stop/start may help with MPG.

#8 ·
Do any of you use the Auto start/stop? (I don't) If you are a city driver using stop/start may help with MPG.
Do you have a dedicated button on the right side of your center console for Auto Start/Stop? I was under the impression that none of the 2.3 AWD has Auto Start/Stop because of the engine and drivetrain combination? I have the option in the instrument cluster menu but enabling/disabling it does nothing. Not that I would ever use it, I just can't imagine the function being useful unless you are driving for Amazon Prime or in city gridlock everyday.

#5 ·
I had just the opposite thing happen, mine used to always say somewhere around the 370's at each fill up, now mine is 406 at each fill up. I don't know what changed but when I clicked past 30,000 mi all of a sudden this thing's getting amazing fuel mileage. I have attributed it to the fact that gas is so cheap they're not ethanol blending anymore. 2.3 awd

#7 · (Edited)
copbait said:
I had just the opposite thing happen, mine used to always say somewhere around the 370's at each fill up, now mine is 406 at each fill up.
I have never gotten anywhere close to 350, let alone 400 on my '17 2.3 AWD. My commute used to be about 100 miles round trip every day M-F, but reduced dramatically towards the end of last year. But the reduction happened even before my reduced commute. I use almost exclusively Shell gasoline and as far as I can tell, all of the stations that I visit has the "up to 10% ethanol" warning on the pump... so I am out of ideas..

#10 ·
I have the exact combination (2017 2.3 AWD) I drive 40 miles each way to work and drive house to house once in my work town. I use exclusively Phillips 66 gas (due to the discounts they give for using their app). In the interest of transparency I don't know if I am getting that many miles, I was just stating that that is what my instruments state after a fill up. I consistently got 23.2 MPG (this was verified with both instrument panel and post fill up calculation) up until about Oct-Nov. Now after that time I started showing 25.5, one tank showed 26.2, MPG (I have not done post fill up calculation because I learned to trust the gauges) and started to see the Miles till empty increase. This is on probably close to 50/50 city/highway. I am loving the change but don't know why.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.