Lincoln MKC Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've leased a 2019 MKC 2.3 liter AWD, 19" wheels. Getting it tomorrow. The dealer salesman told me I could use regular gas. I don't need high test. What have been your experiences? Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I use regular gas all of the time in my 2015 2.3L. There have been several threads that say better mileage can be obtained with higher octane fuels, but here in CT the difference in price isn't justified by the amount of mileage increase. I average close to 25 mpg in the summer and 22-23 mpg in the winter. Highway mileage is closer to 27-28 mpg in the summer months. Winter fuel blends tend to be bad for mileage.

Reactions: TxTom

·
Registered
192 Posts
I get 22.4 mixed (according to display) on regular. and yes there is a thread about someone testing their MPG on different gas octane levels.

·
Registered
140 Posts
22.3 here on regular unleaded with mostly spirited driving on the freeway. I've been tempted to try premium a few times but always got discouraged when I get to the gas station and see the wide delta between regular and premium or super or whatever it's called at your part of the country...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there any knocking or failures to accelerate when you need it if you use regular?

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have always used regular and never had a problem with knocking or lack of acceleration.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK I guess I'll go with regular 87. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You will also have better fuel mileage if you use ethanol free gas. There are numerous studies out there about this and I have noticed it as well. Ethanol free gas is about $.14 more per gallon here in Georgia and while I get much better fuel mileage, it's almost a wash. We traditionally don't get the summer/winter blends here in middle Georgia while the Atlanta area does.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm going to go with 89 or 93. Probably 93 which is 50 cents more here in SC.
Page 165 manual in states..

"For best overall vehicle and engine
performance, premium fuel with an octane
rating of 91 or higher is recommended."

I like a vehicle that runs at its optimum performance level.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm going to go with 89 or 93. Probably 93 which is 50 cents more here in SC.
Page 165 manual in states..

"For best overall vehicle and engine
performance, premium fuel with an octane
rating of 91 or higher is recommended."

I like a vehicle that runs at its optimum performance level.
Funny that's how your (2019) MKC reads, this is from my 2017 manual:

We recommend regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87. Some stations offer fuels posted as regular with an octane rating below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. We do not recommend fuels with an octane rating below 87. To provide improved performance, we recommend premium fuel for severe duty usage such as trailer tow.
Source

I see that 2019 also has the verbiage I had above, but adds the part about 91. In the 2017 manual it doesn't say anything about that.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Funny that's how your (2019) MKC reads, this is from my 2017 manual:

Source

I see that 2019 also has the verbiage I had above, but adds the part about 91. In the 2017 manual it doesn't say anything about that.
My bad. I have a 2.0L.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The '14 Escape Titanium (2.0) I had before my MKC said the same thing. It was rated at 240 HP with premium fuel, but dropped to 231 HP with regular. My MKC is the same. To realize the full 285 HP of the 2.3, you have to run premium fuel. It will run fine on regular. You have to decide if mileage and/or performance are affected either way, and determine which fuel is best for your use.

Reactions: jcbon
1 - 14 of 14 Posts