Lincoln MKC Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The owners manual says our gas tank holds 15.5 gallons but I've never been able to put more then 13.5 gallons of gas in it. When my C is low on gas and shows 0 miles to empty and the gauge turns red and shows empty and the app is showing empty, I fill it up. Yet I have never been able to pump more than 13.5 gallons in it.

You never want to run out of gas, so even though I know that it still has around 2 gallons left = approx. 45 more miles that I can drive before running out of gas, the natural thing to do is just fill it up and don't take the chance. Since the tank is just too small in the first place for this size SUV, I really dislike the fact that I feel as if I'm being cheated out of comfortably driving another 40 miles before worrying about running out of gas. On a long trip this equals more annoying stops at the gas station. Does this occur just in my C or yours as well?

·
Registered
87 Posts
^^ same with my MKC.

·
Registered
733 Posts
The gauge will always be a bit conservative to maintain sufficient fuel in the tank to cool the fuel pump. Running the tank dry or very very low runs the risk overheating the pump as well as causing a lean condition for the engine management.

·
Registered
49 Posts
We have few complaints about the design and operation of our MKC. But the small size of the fuel tank is perhaps the biggest oversight in the development of the vehicle. An 18 gallon fuel tank would have provided a more reasonable range of operation for most drivers.

This is a great road trip vehicle and is near effortless to drive. But as you've indicated, fuel stops are more frequent than they need to be.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Blankster, I understand your comments but can only say that I've never had a gauge be this conservative, and I'm no spring chicken ie; I've had a lot of cars in my life, from GM to VW to Nissan to Acura to Lexus to Ford to the current Lincoln. I'm used to cars showing empty on the gauge but still having 1/2 to 1 gallon left remaining to make sure you can get to a gas station, but this is ridiculous.

Since I wrote that post I drove on empty with the dash showing 0 miles remaining for about 10-15 additional miles and STILL could only pump 13.7 gallons, leaving me with 1.8 gallons in the tiny tank = about 35-40 more driving miles available. It's just overly cautious engineering or perhaps a problem with the float in the gas tank or the electronics that measure the gas. But if everyone on this forum has the same problem, then I guess that's the way it was designed. HAS ANYONE EVER PUMPED MORE THAN 14 GALLONS IN THEIR C, and if so, what was their experience with the gauge read-outs, miles to empty, etc. just before reaching the gas station?

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Blankster, I understand your comments but can only say that I've never had a gauge be this conservative, and I'm no spring chicken ie; I've had a lot of cars in my life, from GM to VW to Nissan to Acura to Lexus to Ford to the current Lincoln. I'm used to cars showing empty on the gauge but still having 1/2 to 1 gallon left remaining to make sure you can get to a gas station, but this is ridiculous.

Since I wrote that post I drove on empty with the dash showing 0 miles remaining for about 10-15 additional miles and STILL could only pump 13.7 gallons, leaving me with 1.8 gallons in the tiny tank = about 35-40 more driving miles available. It's just overly cautious engineering or perhaps a problem with the float in the gas tank or the electronics that measure the gas. But if everyone on this forum has the same problem, then I guess that's the way it was designed. HAS ANYONE EVER PUMPED MORE THAN 14 GALLONS IN THEIR C, and if so, what was their experience with the gauge read-outs, miles to empty, etc. just before reaching the gas station?
I had one tank where I went past the DTE = 0. It seems like it just went to "Low Fuel" warning at some point that could not be cleared from the screen by pressing OK. On that fill up, I put in 14.2 gallons. I had 377 miles on that tank.

·
Registered
795 Posts

you live on the edge dk, you drove for 15 miles with tank showing zero? :smile weren't you afraid of running out and getting stuck? I try to never let my gas go down to absolute zero, read about pulling up more contaminants that may settle to bottom of tank that way..probably not true but still fill up before absolute zero.

When I fill up my tank has varied, sometimes it shows around 300 miles until empty, sometimes 280 or so. I've also had it show as low as 260. Doesn't it depend and adjust according to your driving so that initial number is not necessarily correct?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I agree that the number of miles before empty depends on a lot of factors. The reason I feel that I am not living on the edge is because time after time every gauge, readout and even the app was telling me that I was VERY close to empty, and that just hasn't been the case. The point of fact is that I have never been able to pump more then 13.7 gallons of gas into the tank, yet the manual tells me that the tank holds 15.5 gallons. That leaves me with the ability to still drive at least 35 miles (unless I'm standing still in traffic for hours). So really, there is no risk at all as Ford has altered my behavior about how a gas tank gauge is supposed to work vs other cars that I've owned. By not being able to pump more then 13.7 gallons, I have not been close to the edge of running out of gas...yet :) I'll let you know if that ever happens, but for now all I can say is that when every gauge and electronic info on the car tells me I'm down to my last few drops of gas, it's just never been close to being true.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yes, I agree that the number of miles before empty depends on a lot of factors. The reason I feel that I am not living on the edge is because time after time every gauge, readout and even the app was telling me that I was VERY close to empty, and that just hasn't been the case. The point of fact is that I have never been able to pump more then 13.7 gallons of gas into the tank, yet the manual tells me that the tank holds 15.5 gallons. That leaves me with the ability to still drive at least 35 miles (unless I'm standing still in traffic for hours). So really, there is no risk at all as Ford has altered my behavior about how a gas tank gauge is supposed to work vs other cars that I've owned. By not being able to pump more then 13.7 gallons, I have not been close to the edge of running out of gas...yet :) I'll let you know if that ever happens, but for now all I can say is that when every gauge and electronic info on the car tells me I'm down to my last few drops of gas, it's just never been close to being true.
Hey dk4500! If you really feel like pushing the envelope and seeing just how far you can drive past the illusive "Empty", remember that you have roadside assistance with your MKC and, unless I'm mistaken, that includes bringing you a couple of gallons of fuel to get you back on the road - at no charge to you! I've been tempted to try this to put all the theorys to rest. Who's game?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Love Seinfeld and fondly remember that episode. Ok, so Bruce is nominated to go where no man (or women) has gone...all the way to pumping 15 gallons in his C. Good Luck & give us all the details. By the way, thanks for the Roadside Assistance reminder.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Love Seinfeld and fondly remember that episode. Ok, so Bruce is nominated to go where no man (or women) has gone...all the way to pumping 15 gallons in his C. Good Luck & give us all the details. By the way, thanks for the Roadside Assistance reminder.
The other thing that pops into my head with my car..
A few weeks ago my husband wanted to go out to dinner and the place he wanted to go HAS to valet park your car. So he says "Are you driving?" and I say "No way, unless you want to go somewhere else.." He's like "Why" and all I can think of is the Seinfeld episode where the valet has B.O. and stinks up Jerry's car and no detail or cleaning would take the smell out... funniest episode ever (for me the car clean fanatic)

Sorry for getting off topic in this thread but I couldn't resist. NO ONE drives my MKC but me (and all the service people at the dealer LOL) :laugh

·
Registered
4 Posts
Go ahead Bruce. Tell us when you run out :). It's like that Seinfeld episode when Kramer is test driving...
I ran mine out last night. I happened at only 30 miles past the empty mark. My system is having issues, the first low fuel warning came on at 23 miles to empty and it turned the readout to yellow, the second warning came on at 7 miles to empty and turned the warning to red. 37 miles later I was sitting on the side of the road waiting for a fuel delivery (I was only a mile away from the service station when it ran out). I have a 2016 reserve model with all the options. It's now 4 months and a week old, has less than 1000 miles on it and has spent 47 days in the shop. This car has to many bugs list but here are a few. Park assist that tries to hit parked cars, rain sensing wipers that activate on a dry window but not when it's wet, a driver seat that reclines when the car is parked and shut off, a back hatch that will close and latch and then open itself back up again, an odometer system that has a trip odometer reading more miles on it than the main odometer, remote start that doesn't work, a collision warning system that activates when there are no cars around, a BLIS system that does the same while backing up, vibration at freeway speeds, rough idle, very poor fuel mileage (as low as 13 around town), front seat backs that do not cool, seats that barely heat, welcome lighting that only works sometimes, the SYNC screen freezes or just becomes blank, lane assist warning that activates when I'm in the middle of my lane, sirius that cuts out on clear days with absolutely no obstacles around, adaptive cruise control that starts to accelerate when you turn your blinker on even though there are cars in front of you and this is only a partial list. Oh, I almost forgot the grandaddy of them all. Two days after I had the dealer install the upgraded Lincoln security system the car was broken into with the thief doing nearly $14,000 in damage to the interior when he crawled inside after breaking out a back window. The alarm never went off! I have that all recorded on security cameras including the confirmation beeps that the car was properly locked, the actual break in and then me unlocking of the car hours later with no indication from the horns that the system was activated. Fixing that damage was not part of the 47 day the car has been in the shop for repairs. Repairing that damage took an additional 5 weeks in the shop. I'm ready to tear my hair out and seriously, this is only a partial list. I love this car but I'm afraid it's unfixable.

·
Registered
647 Posts
All I can say is wow, absolutely unbelievable all the issues you have had. I thought I had a long list of issues but your MKC has my list beat by a mile. I definitely feel your pain. Are you in the USA? wouldn't the lemon laws apply to your vehicle? I would say it is time to get a lawyer involved.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm from Portland Oregon and I am afraid you may be right about starting to talk Lemon. That has been the last thing I want as I really love this car. The shop has been great to deal with but if the car cannot be fixed I don't see where I have any other choice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.