Lincoln MKC Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
First off you can never go by what the vehicle says your fuel economy is. Every car I've ever owned from Chevy to Hyundai to Ford to Oldsmobile to Porsche to Honda etc. etc. etc. they've always been off by at least 3 mpg or more and sometimes substantially more. Driving down long grades tricks my Hyundai into showing I got the fuel economy of a Prius at 45 mpg but in reality it was 28 mpg. I never trust the computer. The accurate way is to keep track of the miles you've driven per fill-up and divide it by the gallons you put based on what the receipt says. Your driving habits and the external environment also play a huge role. Fuel economy plummets the moment the turbo gets spinning and boost builds, even if you think you're driving conservatively. An example of this is driving in a headwind even at low speeds. In this scenario my F-150's boost gauge shoots up even though I'm light on the gas. The 2.0 won't be any different than my 3.5 EcoBoost. And immediately after filling up the vehicle will show fuel economy as being bad but it'll eventually stable out after driving many miles. The 2.0 isn't the most fuel-efficient I-4 in existence but the tradeoff is having lots of power on tap.

·
Administrator
621 Posts
Also the general shape of the Camaro will help. Low ground clearance and sleek lines decrease drag, not to mention the extra rotational drag on the awd versions. Most suv and cuv designs look like a sail with a foot of ground clearance, but no Camaro would go where I take the mkc. I use my car for home health in Appalachia, and I can get into some crazy driveways with the ground clearance, approach angle, and awd of this car.

·
Registered
275 Posts
22.x MPG is not bad. the second photo shows 12.x MPG less than 1 mile of driving... and that will never be accurate.

·
Registered
23 Posts
2015 Lincoln MKC 2.0 Ecoboost. Gas mileage is not good at all. My 2018 Camaro SS gets better mileage than this. Anyone know why?
My 2.3 litre 2015 MkC gets around 24-25 mpg. My 2016 Corvette gets almost 30 mpg on the highway because four cylinders of the V8 are automatically shut off during highway driving. The MkC has gas mileage which doesn't seem to vary much on the type of driving. I use premium gas from SHELL.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Something is definitely out of kilter. My 2.3 gets 23 minimum to 27 depending on weather and driving conditions. You are getting half so something is wrong. Have diagnostics run on it, it would be well worth the money. Also do a physical calculation when you fill up to make sure the readout is correct.

·
Registered
2017 MKC - Midnight Sapphire Blue Metallic
8 Posts
My 2017 MKC get 28-29 MPG in the Summer (I live in Michigan), and 25-26 MPG in the Winter. My MKC has the 2.0 Liter with AWD.
Doing the math (long way), The read-out on my Cluster is off maybe 1 MPG. It's pretty accurate on my MKC.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 2.3 litre 2015 MkC gets around 24-25 mpg. My 2016 Corvette gets almost 30 mpg on the highway because four cylinders of the V8 are automatically shut off during highway driving. The MkC has gas mileage which doesn't seem to vary much on the type of driving. I use premium gas from SHELL.
Hey there,

would you say you noticed a long term difference in burning premium versus standard? I get decent mileage with standard 87. Wondering if it’s worth the xtra cash for a few extra miles each tank.

·
Registered
2017 MKC - Midnight Sapphire Blue Metallic
8 Posts
I have only used 87 octane fuel.
I have tried higher octane fuel in some of my previous vehicles and have not seen much of a difference.
In my opinion, the extra cost is a waste….

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey there,

would you say you noticed a long term difference in burning premium versus standard? I get decent mileage with standard 87. Wondering if it’s worth the xtra cash for a few extra miles each tank.
The whole regular vs premium fuel economy debate has been beaten to death for years and evidence has shown there's virtually no benefit to using premium in terms of gas mileage, including my own tests. If anything, using something like 88 ethanol-free should boost mileage by about 1-2 mpg as it did in my '19 Hyundai Tucson 2.0 since there's no ethanol. I don't know a lot about the 2.0 or 2.3 EcoBoost but with my Tucson using premium fuel halted my fuel-oil dilution problem. When using 87 it kept creeping up, same with ethanol-free fuel. But switching to 91 stabilized it and the oil level hasn't changed much since. I also use 91 to further decrease the likelihood of knocking, which can cause catastrophic damage over the long run and lead to things like piston slap due to abnormal, unintended combustion forces the cylinder experiences. With Tucson's with the 2.0L Nu like mine and especially Elantras the engine appears to have a predisposition to piston slap starting at around 60K miles. I'm at 23K so far. I think of using premium fuel as preventative maintenance. My 2.0 EcoBoost experiences some fuel dilution too based on the oil level. And the oil, like in our Tucson, '18 F-150 3.5 EB and '14 Chevy Equinox, all smell like gas.

Reactions: Brandon’sMKC

·
Registered
23 Posts
A smartass fellow who claimed to have worked on
Hey there,

A smartass fellow I met --- yes, it was in a drinking establishment --- who claimed to have worked on blah, blah, blah high performance racing cars told me ALL turbo vehicles perform better with premium gas and that premium gas contains additives that are superior to regular. He also recommended SHELL because of ___ (insert convincing argument) and I acquiesced. My MkC runs like a bandit and I attribute this, at least partially, to the high priced petrol. Nothing was said about gas mileage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I can tell you one thing for sure!...My 2.0 2018 MKC AWD is the MOST finicky car about fuel that I've ever owned! 87 octane or premium, it doesn't seem to mater so much...a little more peak power with premium. Off-brand (often times stale!) gasoline, and the thing runs like I'm towing a trailer, and gets LOUSY mileage. I've got about 52k miles on it now.

Last week driving out to Colorado, I was getting about 26-27mpg with Phillips 66 premium. That's cruising at about 82 across Kansas. At that speed, I don't think that's too bad with a few hundred pounds of tools and parts in the rear.

Stopped (nearly empty) at a no-name convenience store that only had 87. With 20 miles to empty, I didn't have much choice but to put that in. Mileage dropped to 19.5, and stayed there till I could fill-up with some 87 (mid-grade at high altitude) at a Pilot truck stop in CO. Mileage popped back up to 26.5, and stayed there climbing to Denver and Boulder.

I've noticed the same situation numerous times before. Usually from filling up at no-name gas stations. I usually run "Top Tier" rated, major brand gas in my MKC. That rating assures you of getting a big load of detergent additives that keep injectors clean. There are times when I've had no choice however, and the mileage has always suffered when I have.

I honestly think some of these cheap gas stations are buying old, stale gasoline, and filling their tanks with it...or passing off E85 for regular. Some cars don't seem to care much. I have a 2018 Subaru Outback that runs great on anything I put in it. Consistently about 30mpg. I could probably drain the fryer tanks at McDonald's, and it would run on it (not really, but you know what I mean). Subaru don't care...MKC cares a bunch! Only the best for Mr. Lincoln!

Dave O.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts