Lincoln MKC Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been pursuing an MKX as my next purchase as it had almost all the Tech I thought I wanted. I lowered my expectations some because we came to realize that we did not want an MKX sized vehicle at this time so I'm working on a new list.

Tech became secondary to size.

Going to take an MKC out next week. Aside from that, NX is a possible choice as is a MY17 Santa Fe Sport. We like the '13 SFS we have now so a '17 may be a candidate.

I'm curious if anyone else looked at the NX before deciding MKC and reason for ultimately going MKC. I looked at BMW X1 and while it has everything I wanted, the seats were absolutely horrendous. We called it quits 2 hours into a 3 hour test drive. Also tried the GLC but it would price a bit higher than I want and the local dealer came across that he'd be doing me a huge favor selling me his GLC.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I looked at the NX but decided on the MKC. The MKC is a little smaller (easier to get into tight spaces, a plus for me), has some additional tech that I wanted, and I think is better looking. Overall, I'm very happy with the MKC. That said, I'm concerned about its long-term reliability. My prior car was a Toyota, which in the 6 years I owned it was perfect with zero problems. The MKC has already experienced a few problems, and I doubt it will be as trouble-free over the years as a Lexus.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
has some additional tech that I wanted
LeeB, can you elaborate on the additional Tech on the MKC please. I want to be sure I didn't miss anything.
One item that was high on my list was LED headlights but the MKC's remote App and Sync 3 tips the scale in its favour again :)

·
Registered
733 Posts
I watch autoweek and they did a review of the NX and it did not do well stating too much of the RAV4 shown through. My wife and I also did not like the look.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Even if it had all the technical and engineering advantages in its class, I simply cannot get past how much I loathe the current Lexus styling. In fact, I don't care for any of the recent Japanese design directions - Mazda being the only exception.

·
Registered
21 Posts
We looked at the NX but found it felt smaller on the inside. Not that either car is great on space, but the back seat of the Lexus felt very tight, and the hatch area too. The Lexus does have more of a fighter cockpit vibe, but lots of odd shapes and controls. The ride was very sport minded as well. But the Lexus comes with real customer care - not likely something Lincoln owners seem to be getting. Not yet anyway. The brand is rebuilding amongst very strong competition.

I agree with kmccart that everything out of Japan lately seems really whack. We very much like the look of the MKC and wish the new MKX was a better larger version of the MKC, but it has a sort of chunky goofiness to us. It doesn't seem to wear the new look as well as the smaller car.

Consider the new little Benz the GLC. Had we know it was coming - IT would be in our driveway. In fact it might next year. The MKC is on a lease and WILL NOT be staying with us.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I cross shopped the NX / RDX / MKC / GLK. I was upgrading from a KIA Sportage (it was not for me). Basically what it came down to for me.

1. I just couldn't get over how fugly it is. the front end looks like a shark nose and the rear end looks off to me. I also didn't care for how the controls were set up on the dash. Besides those things it seemed like a well made vehicle (doesn't fall short of the Lexus name / brand).
2. the RDX was to vanilla for me but a good bang for your buck.
3. I didn't consider a Lincoln due to the crappy cars they were turning out until I went to the LA auto show. Saw it, was impressed and got $75 to go on a test drive. The ride alone almost had me sold.
4. I liked the GLK and almost got it. Couldn't get the color combo with the 4matic.

In the end the MKC had the color combo and AWD which are must haves for me. The ride, quietness of the cabin, and engine had me sold. I'd get another one.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Even if it had all the technical and engineering advantages in its class, I simply cannot get past how much I loathe the current Lexus styling. In fact, I don't care for any of the recent Japanese design directions - Mazda being the only exception.
Kmccart,
I've always been a bit annoyed and intrigued about how Lincoln keeps getting negative comments pertaining to the "whale grill" as well as the "cryptic" model names when Lexus grills have pretty much always looked like cow catchers! And what about Audi grills - some are nice and others aren't (the massive Infinity grill - ugh!). Most so-called luxury companies ID their models as numbers and letters (BMW, Lexus, Volvo, etc., etc., etc.) - like that's supposed to mean something to potential buyers! It means something only to people already familiar with the brand!
I agree wholeheartedly about the Lexus in particular. I just don't understand how anyone finds the huge, low-handing grill attractive - a classic example of beauty being in the eye of the beholder/buyer!

Reactions: kmccart

·
Registered
87 Posts
LeeB, can you elaborate on the additional Tech on the MKC please. I want to be sure I didn't miss anything.
One item that was high on my list was LED headlights but the MKC's remote App and Sync 3 tips the scale in its favour again :)
hwitten, the MKC has "active park assist," the automated parallel parking function. The Lexus has "intelligent park assist," but from the description it appears to be only audible proximity warnings as opposed to automated steering into the parking space. My Toyota had the automated parking function, and I occasionally used it and found it helpful. I could be that the Lexus function provided more automation than the website description suggests (the feature on my Toyota was also called "intelligent park assist") but I never further researched it. It seems that there might have been some other minor tech feature that the MKC had over the Lexus, but if so, it's been lost to time. On the plus side for the NT, I think it offers powered lowering of the rear seats to increase the cargo area. The MKC rear seats have to lowered manually--not difficult but not as easy as pressing a button. Hope this helps, Lee

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the MKC has "active park assist," the automated parallel parking function. The Lexus has "intelligent park assist,"
It's just amazing what the marketing folks can come up with :)

The NX is just warning, like backup camera without the camera. Still useful though as it's front and back with a bit of wrap around. Coming back into my mix is '17 Santa Fe Sport that was just announced. May have all the goodies I want but still same car. Not sure yet it that's good or bad. Planning to drive all 3 and then decide after the Vancouver Auto Show in March.

Rumour has it that '17 MKC will have LED headlights. Of course you can't really rely on what the Internet "experts" write :)

·
Registered
733 Posts
It's just amazing what the marketing folks can come up with :)

The NX is just warning, like backup camera without the camera. Still useful though as it's front and back with a bit of wrap around. Coming back into my mix is '17 Santa Fe Sport that was just announced. May have all the goodies I want but still same car. Not sure yet it that's good or bad. Planning to drive all 3 and then decide after the Vancouver Auto Show in March.

Rumour has it that '17 MKC will have LED headlights. Of course you can't really rely on what the Internet "experts" write :)
They start building the '17s next month and per my dealer there are minor trim combination changes.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I put portions of the order guide on another post - Fuel tank may go to 16.3 gals also

·
Registered
733 Posts
Look at the 2017 mkX link

·
Registered
733 Posts
Lincoln
XTERIOR
● New/Changed:
— 19”PremiumPaintedAluminumWheel(646)–Nolonger
optional on Reserve
AWD

(300A)
— 19”PremiumPainted5-SpokeAluminumWheel(647)–
Now optional on Reserve AWD (300A)
— 20”PolishedAluminumWheelswithEbonyPainted
Pockets – New Description
— 18”PolishedAluminumWheelonReserve(300A)
changed to Bright Machined – New Description

Power

liftgate standard on Premiere (100A)
● NewExteriorColors:
— Magnetic(J7)
— PalladiumGold(GN)
— DiamondBlack(W9)–AvailableonReserveonly(300A)
● DeletedColors: — N/A
INTERIOR/COMFORT
● New/Changed:
— CHANGED–Select(200A)–Cappuccino/Espresso
cabin
environment

– Santos Rosewood replaces
Espresso Ash Swirl appliques
— CHANGED–Select(200A)–Cappuccinocabin
environment – Santos Rosewood replaces Espresso Ash Swirl appliques
As I say no powertrain changes, no new transmission...
NickBro is offline Report Post
Quote Multi-Quote Quick Reply
1 2 3

Quick Reply

Reactions: 2015 MSM

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you. My bad. Was looking for a pdf attachment as I didn't know the excerpts were all there is.
Certainly doesn't make it worthwhile to wait for a '17 other than not finding a '16 to my liking.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts