Programming an Intelligent Access Fob
Took me over a dozen attempts but I finally got a new intelligent access fob to program with the procedure in the Users Manual. I bought the intelligent access fob on Amazon and thought it would be a piece of cake to program based on the info in the manual. After I could not get it to work, I Googled for some solutions and it looked like most people had the same problems and either went to a dealer or locksmith.
I don't give up too easily and since it was in the manual I knew it should work. Eventually I found some of the flaws in the users manual instructions and got it to work.
Here are the main points to get the process in the manual to work. Pay attention to the items in bold and my notes:
Make sure that the ignition is switched off before beginning this procedure. Make sure that you close all the doors before beginning and that they remain closed throughout the procedure. Carry out all steps within 30 seconds of starting the sequence. Stop and wait for at least one minute before starting again if you carry out any steps out of sequence. Read and understand the entire procedure before you begin.
1. Open the center console lid.
2. Insert the first programmed key in the backup slot.
3. Press the push button ignition switch.
4. Wait five seconds and then press the push button ignition switch again.
5. Remove the intelligent access key.
6. Within 10 seconds, place a second programmed intelligent access key in the backup slot and press the push button ignition switch.
In order to complete the process in 30 seconds, don't wait 10 seconds to put the second fob in the backup slot. As soon as you remove the first fob, put the second fob into the backup slot and then press the ignition button.
7. Wait five seconds and then press the push button ignition switch again.
8. Remove the second intelligent access key
9. Wait five seconds, then place the unprogrammed intelligent access key in the backup slot and press the push button ignition switch.
As soon as you remove the second intelligent fob insert the unprogrammed fob immediately. After you place the unprogrammed fob into the backup slot, press and hold the ignition button until the hazard lights flash and the horn beeps. The important step is to press and hold the ignition button and don't release it until the hazard lights flash and the horn beeps. This an indication the programming mode has been enabled.
Programming is now complete. Check that the remote control functions operate and your vehicle starts with the new intelligent access key.
If programming was unsuccessful, wait 10 seconds and repeat Steps 1 through 7.
The first few times I got no real indication that the system was being enabled to program the fob. When I sped up the process a bit, I started to get a notice that key programming failed. After several attempts, I stumbled on the need to press and hold the ignition button until there is a notification from the vehicle that the programming mode was enabled.