Lincoln MKC Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife loves her new MKC that we picked up last Aug. Wonderful vehicle. The recent colder weather had us trying out the heated front seats. It appears that the high settings do not produce a lot of heat especially on the passenger seat. It certainly takes a while before any heat is felt at all. The heated steering wheel heats up fast and is almost to hot. Any one have issues with the heated seats? Thought I would ask on this forum before taking it back to the dealership.
TIA

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hello. There is an earlier thread on this issue called Heated Seats Taking Long. We find the driver's seat slow to heat and the passenger one is faster and warmer. I believe some have commented that if one has the cooling feature as well then the heated seat isn't as effective.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello i agree and we did have the dealer check it out...they did a test and found it went to 89 degrees in 5 min.. I said we dont feel it for more like 15 min...he said it was probably because the seats are so "thick" All previous cars I have owned, the seat heat took maybe 2 min I think they were just as think!! the purpose of the heating seats is to fill the gap before the car is warm enough to provide heat. Not true with this vehicle. The dealer made a note of it...there is no current tech (TSB) notice..
BTW have you noticed the buttons to turn on the seats and the visual dispaly on the screen are opposite!!! thats strange

·
Registered
183 Posts
If you have heated/cooled seats you will not have the hot seat you were use to of a heated only seat. Slow to heat and much lower high temp. They are quick to cool. Think of it as having a heat pump only, compared to furnace or a/c units. That is so across all the brands that I have test drove last winter with h/c seats. The heating coil is below the thicker foam used for cooling. My Jeep seats are the same as MKC's in that regard. Jeep steering wheel is around 30% hotter than any other brand I drove, wonderful for my old hands! Yes the rear seats are warmer in both. Also if you have a long thick coat, you will not feel any heat up front. The compromise of something for both seasons in one package. Look it this way, 15 years ago we had neither. Cadillac was at the bottom for heat on h/c seat and steering wheel, 2 stars. I give the MKC a 4 out 5 stars.

Reactions: TxTom

·
Registered
11 Posts
The LEXUS 350 that we replaced with the MKC had both A/C seats. the seats heated many many times faster and they were plush thick seats (wider then the MKC)...even with a long coat, I felt the heat in a few short minutes...I the MKC falls short.

BTW, no comments on the display?

·
Registered
30 Posts
My mkc seats do not get as hot or heat up as fast as they do in my wife's jeep cherekee. Also the heated steering wheel gets hotter in her jeep than my mkc. Air cooled seats are about the same in both vehicles.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've got a "Reserve" I 100 % agree the seats don't heat as well nor as fast as I'd expect. I had an MKT w/heated and cooled seats, they warmed up faster and I routinely turned them off - I can leave the heat on the highest position in the MKC and it just never gets that warm, but my Steering wheel heats fast and is plenty warm - (the "T" didn't have the heated wheel - which seemed odd) - Maybe it just me getting older :wink

·
Registered
123 Posts
Linc,

I disagree. Cool seats does not mean heated seats take longer to work or won't get as hot. I've had the cool/heat combo in many vehicles and they both worked great.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Linc,

I disagree. Cool seats does not mean heated seats take longer to work or won't get as hot. I've had the cool/heat combo in many vehicles and they both worked great.
I agree completely !

·
Registered
183 Posts
Linc,

Many, really? That refers to a large amount of vehicles. OK, fine, then you list all those brands, their years and models you had with those great combos, on here. And I if don't know of the vehicle first or second hand, we'll simply go recheck out what their Forums have to say.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Many, really? That refers to a large amount of vehicles. OK, fine, then you list all those brands, their years and models you had with those great combos, on here. And I if don't know of the vehicle first or second hand, we'll simply go recheck out what their Forums have to say.
2006 Buick Lucerne CXL .....

·
Registered
183 Posts
Those first Gen Heated/Cooled GM Seats went the way of Mc D's Coffee and the Dodo Bird.

This one reminds me of McDonald's Coffee and the Woman at the Drive Thru!

Buick essentially rebodies the Cadillac DTS
Published: 04/03/2006* - by*Scott Oldham, Editor in Chief

Over the years, we've driven cars that disappoint, cars that irk, cars that thrill. We've even sampled a few that made us laugh. But the 2006 Buick Lucerne CXL V8 is the only car we've ever driven that has caused us physical pain.
Our Platinum Metallic test vehicle was packed with options, including heated and cooled front seats that cost an extra $1,075. The cooling part of the package was fine, but using the seat heaters turned the Buick's front seats into torture devices. Now we know what it's like to sit on an open flame.
Logbook entries on the subject included: "Call the burn unit, I just used the seat heaters."
After a few days we all learned to avoid the seat heater button on the door panel, but the Lucerne's botched bun warmers aren't the only thing about Buick's newest sedan that left us cold.

Click on link below for the rest the of the above review. Or not.

2006 Buick Lucerne CXL V8 road test

The two below are way more current Buicks

Cooled seats - worst ever
Heated Seat Cutout

Next Please.

·
Registered
183 Posts
2012 Porsche 911. Heated/Cooled seats heat quickly. MKC is disappointing in this regard.
I do not have any experience with Porsche Models. Searching did not bring up anything on heated seats but for electric problems. Found one link to the cooled-seats. I'd say the posters were around 70% positive. Due to the possibility some did not seem to realize their ventilated and will not work with a top down or they were just joking.

Ventilated seats weak?

Checking on the Macan Forums, a very nice and busy Forum by the way. They allowed me to Search the Forums without being a member. I could not find anything on the heated seats. Todd if you have membership there or any Porsche Forums, please see if you come up with more that I did.

Search link. Membership may yield better results.

Porsche Macan Forum - Search Results for heated/cooled seats

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm just going by my own experience. My 911 heated/cooled seats heat quickly, as do our Mercedes and BMW heated only seats. We also have 2 Nissan trucks and a Ford Mustang, whose heated only seats are slower, but still adequate. Then there is the MKC, whose seats take a very long time to heat and don't get very hot either.

·
Registered
183 Posts
todd92:

I do agree with all you say about your vehicles.

My 2003 GMC Envoy was optioned with Door Controls for the power and heated only front seats. Three temp options for the seat and three temp options for the Seat Back only. They would start to burn your legs on three, two was good enough after warm up, sometimes down to one. I loved the Back only option, it was great when my Backside ached, but my seat was not in need of any heat.

Our 2008 Escape was no longer near those temps and was heated seat only.

My 2012 Jeep G/C with Heated and Ventilated, heating was commented above as very close to if not same as the MKC. It's Ventilation is great. I have yet to experience the MKC's Cooling Seats in Summer.

Keep in mind. Here we are referring to heated and cooled seats which bring much more into the design of the seat depending on the system used. In general these much newer combos are like a household heat pump. Which is an unit not built to handle extremes, but offers very efficient use of power. And most fair size two story homes, in the mid south, require two large pumps just to be close to handling the temp swings.

Below are the couple of reasons why those older much too hot seats of resent years have been phased out of most brands as new models emerge. And why any remaining hot ones may be soon be no more. In addition some were too hot and over time became damaging to the seat materials.

Some can't feel when car's heated seat burns - USATODAY.com

Paraplegic woman burned by heated car seat: suit - NY Daily News

Heated Car Seats Could Pose Burn Danger

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yes Linc.

I had a 05 EB Expedition, 08 King Ranch Expedition, 11 Explorer. I rented an 11 MKX, 12 Edge, 15 Taurus and NO issues.

Sorry your theory doesn't hold up!!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yes Linc.

I had a 05 EB Expedition, 08 King Ranch Expedition, 11 Explorer. I rented an 11 MKX, 12 Edge, 15 Taurus and NO issues.

Sorry your theory doesn't hold up!!
Does not qualify as many, more like a few, but hey three is a start. You do need to do more than just toss a few old bones to compete in the present.

What was the trim level for your 05 Expedition? How many temp levels were there for each of the heat and cooling controls? What about the King Ranch Controls? What are your trim levels and seat/cooling controls for your 11 Explorer?

Which trim levels and their Seating c/c options in those rented 11 MKX, 12 Edge and the 15 Taurus?

Those Gen2's heated or combos for the most part were no longer as hot, but yes, of course a heated only is faster and a little hotter than current combo systems. The 15 Taurus, I will add comments and links to that one and today's systems fully, after you fill us in.

Read the 2 pages, on each link: Blows you and your little sidekick no pasted issues out of the equation!

Heated/Cooled Seats Voice Command - Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations"®

Heated and Cooled seats : Ford Flex Forum

Heated and Cooled seats??? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1 - 20 of 39 Posts