Lincoln MKC Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2015 MKC 2.0 Litre
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I waited far too long, but at 57,000 miles I finally got around to changing my transmission fluid. It was so dark that I decided to change it twice and by doing so, I did get it back to a red color. I should have changed it every 30,000 miles.

it was not too bad a job, and I of course used the Motorcraft LV fluid. So far, so good!

·
Administrator
655 Posts
I was going to have mine flushed but I think you’ve got a better idea just swapping the fluid, how much fluid did it take?

·
Registered
34 Posts
It doesn't make sense to me that it should be changed every 30k miles. That's an extremely short interval. It seems to me it should be designed to withstand much longer intervals unless you're using it to tow 10k pounds up steep mountainous grades on a regular basis and it's frequently strained. I usually don't change transmission fluid on my cars until around 100k if they're even kept that long. I sold my '14 Equinox at 81k miles that I've owned since 2016 and never changed the transmission fluid. Shifted smooth as silk and never gave me issues. I doubt the new owner will get around to changing it any time soon. My former '08 Tacoma was changed at 100k miles. Never had any issues with that one as well. My family's even former '01 Oldsmobile Aurora that had been in the family since 2003 was changed at 110k miles a few years ago never gave them grief. It's hard enough to get the average consumer to change their oil every 5k so good luck Ford on getting them to change the transmission fluid that frequently.

·
Administrator
655 Posts
I just changed my transmission fluid, believe it or not it only took about four maybe 5 quarts. Absolutely no problems with my transmission but it was just over 100,000 miles. Oil was black as night but did not smell bad at all. I think I’ll probably change mine more frequently than 100,000 miles though in the future. Transmission feels like the weak link on this car, 5 quarts of Mercon LV is only 40 bucks. That is cheap if it allows my transmission to go a few hundred thousand miles

·
Registered
2015 MKC 2.0 Litre
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was going to have mine flushed but I think you’ve got a better idea just swapping the fluid, how much fluid did it take?
Roughly 5 quarts.

·
Registered
2015 MKC 2.0 Litre
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there a screen or filter?
There is no filter to change as it is inside the transmission. The process is simply a drain and fill.

·
Registered
2015 MKC 2.0 Litre
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just changed my transmission fluid, believe it or not it only took about four maybe 5 quarts. Absolutely no problems with my transmission but it was just over 100,000 miles. Oil was black as night but did not smell bad at all. I think I’ll probably change mine more frequently than 100,000 miles though in the future. Transmission feels like the weak link on this car, 5 quarts of Mercon LV is only 40 bucks. That is cheap if it allows my transmission to go a few hundred thousand miles
Yes, it is a cheap process and I’d like to have this MKC for well beyond 150,000 miles. Ford says you can go to 100,000 miles on the same fluid but I’m a belt and suspenders kind of guy, so why not just change it?

• Haha
Reactions: copbait

·
Registered
2015 MKC 2.0 Litre
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It doesn't make sense to me that it should be changed every 30k miles. That's an extremely short interval. It seems to me it should be designed to withstand much longer intervals unless you're using it to tow 10k pounds up steep mountainous grades on a regular basis and it's frequently strained. I usually don't change transmission fluid on my cars until around 100k if they're even kept that long. I sold my '14 Equinox at 81k miles that I've owned since 2016 and never changed the transmission fluid. Shifted smooth as silk and never gave me issues. I doubt the new owner will get around to changing it any time soon. My former '08 Tacoma was changed at 100k miles. Never had any issues with that one as well. My family's even former '01 Oldsmobile Aurora that had been in the family since 2003 was changed at 110k miles a few years ago never gave them grief. It's hard enough to get the average consumer to change their oil every 5k so good luck Ford on getting them to change the transmission fluid that frequently.
Yes, you make a good point but I have to own this for over 150,000 miles and at $45, why not? A new trans is $4K

Reactions: copbait

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for this

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is there a leveling bolt behind the drivers wheel to get the level right like on the escapes?
Yes. On my wife's 2017 MKC, there's a plug on the driver's side of the transmission to observe the fluid's level. Makes it easy to ensure the transmission fluid is filled to exactly the correct level.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Back in 2002 when I had a 1st generation Escape there was a lot of talk about the need to keep your transmission fluid fresh. There were three ways people did it.
  • Every other oil change do a dump and refill of the transmission fluid. It took about 4.5 qts and was cheap and easy to do. This was the road I followed.
  • Do a dump and refill, drive about 20 miles and do it again. The idea was that the drive time would allow the new fluid to mingle with the fluid left in the convertor and after the 2nd dump and fill you were about 92% new.
  • It took about 7 qts for the entire system so you would buy 9 qts of fluid. Get a clean 5 gallon bucket and dump all 9 in there. Get another 5 gallon bucket and get under the car. Remove the transmission lines going into and out of the radiator. Extend the input hose into the clean bucket and the output hose into the dirty. With the car on jack stands fire it up, run it through all the gears forward and reverse. About the time you were spitting out clean fluid the clean bucket was empty. That type of flush was very through and required two people but worked well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts