Lincoln MKC Forum banner

I changed my transmission fluid today

12K views 39 replies 14 participants last post by  collings23 
#1 ·
Well, I waited far too long, but at 57,000 miles I finally got around to changing my transmission fluid. It was so dark that I decided to change it twice and by doing so, I did get it back to a red color. I should have changed it every 30,000 miles.

it was not too bad a job, and I of course used the Motorcraft LV fluid. So far, so good!

#2 ·
I was going to have mine flushed but I think you’ve got a better idea just swapping the fluid, how much fluid did it take?

#3 ·
It doesn't make sense to me that it should be changed every 30k miles. That's an extremely short interval. It seems to me it should be designed to withstand much longer intervals unless you're using it to tow 10k pounds up steep mountainous grades on a regular basis and it's frequently strained. I usually don't change transmission fluid on my cars until around 100k if they're even kept that long. I sold my '14 Equinox at 81k miles that I've owned since 2016 and never changed the transmission fluid. Shifted smooth as silk and never gave me issues. I doubt the new owner will get around to changing it any time soon. My former '08 Tacoma was changed at 100k miles. Never had any issues with that one as well. My family's even former '01 Oldsmobile Aurora that had been in the family since 2003 was changed at 110k miles a few years ago never gave them grief. It's hard enough to get the average consumer to change their oil every 5k so good luck Ford on getting them to change the transmission fluid that frequently.

#4 ·
I just changed my transmission fluid, believe it or not it only took about four maybe 5 quarts. Absolutely no problems with my transmission but it was just over 100,000 miles. Oil was black as night but did not smell bad at all. I think I’ll probably change mine more frequently than 100,000 miles though in the future. Transmission feels like the weak link on this car, 5 quarts of Mercon LV is only 40 bucks. That is cheap if it allows my transmission to go a few hundred thousand miles

Reactions: MOONRNR
#8 ·
Yes, it is a cheap process and I’d like to have this MKC for well beyond 150,000 miles. Ford says you can go to 100,000 miles on the same fluid but I’m a belt and suspenders kind of guy, so why not just change it?

• Haha
Reactions: copbait
#13 ·
Back in 2002 when I had a 1st generation Escape there was a lot of talk about the need to keep your transmission fluid fresh. There were three ways people did it.
  • Every other oil change do a dump and refill of the transmission fluid. It took about 4.5 qts and was cheap and easy to do. This was the road I followed.
  • Do a dump and refill, drive about 20 miles and do it again. The idea was that the drive time would allow the new fluid to mingle with the fluid left in the convertor and after the 2nd dump and fill you were about 92% new.
  • It took about 7 qts for the entire system so you would buy 9 qts of fluid. Get a clean 5 gallon bucket and dump all 9 in there. Get another 5 gallon bucket and get under the car. Remove the transmission lines going into and out of the radiator. Extend the input hose into the clean bucket and the output hose into the dirty. With the car on jack stands fire it up, run it through all the gears forward and reverse. About the time you were spitting out clean fluid the clean bucket was empty. That type of flush was very through and required two people but worked well.

#16 ·
Ok thanks a ton for the pictures. That explains a lot actually. I think my black vent cap maybe missing? I can see the stem with the little green top.

I watched that video and it just shows him pulling that black plug and start filling but mine doesn’t have that plug! So it appears I’m gonna need to squeeze that clip at the base of that “nipple” and remove that whole plug to get to it?

#17 ·
When you find the vent cap and it will not pull out, you would then need to remove the assembly. It is held on with a clamp. Make sure the area is clean.

If that vent cap is missing, replace it ASAP. You do not want any dirt/water in the trans.

Those photos are representative and may not be exactly like your assembly.

#18 ·
I’m beginning to think mine doesn’t have a the black top. It’s just the assembly with the little green valve cap and it’s all sealed up. I’ll check it out good when I remove it.

I would order an extra one to replace it just in case BUT I cannot find that part anywhere on the internet!! If I pull it and it appears broke in someway I suppose I’ll have to go to the Lincoln dealership and try and order one from there.

#24 ·
I’m beginning to think mine doesn’t have a the black top. It’s just the assembly with the little green valve cap and it’s all sealed up. I’ll check it out good when I remove it.

I would order an extra one to replace it just in case BUT I cannot find that part anywhere on the internet!! If I pull it and it appears broke in someway I suppose I’ll have to go to the Lincoln dealership and try and order one from there.
Our 2019 (and prior 2017) have the cap with the little green top. That's the way both came from the factory.

#19 ·
Like I say, those photos are random off the net (so they have to be correct ... :rolleyes: ...). They show two style filler/vent caps.

If you go to an online FORD DEALER (make sure they are LINC also), you can simply enter your VIN and it should spit out the correct PN and price.

I am more FORD experienced and an MKC wannabe ...

Exactly what is your application?

#21 ·
Here is ONLINE CATALOGING -

Enter your VIN on that page and it will give you the correct PN for your MKC. The photo may be representative and not the actual vent/filler assy on your application.

About all you can really do do is a drop and fill.

Because of the trans design and the non-servicable internal filter, it will be difficult to get a complete flush whether the actual flush service is power (machine) or manual. Get back if a power flush is suggested by a service shop.

#22 · (Edited)
Did the drain and fill today. Wasn’t too bad but damn it I wish they’d just add a stick and tube to the trans fill. Would be a ton simpler.

Anyway figured I could add some pictures and information to this discussion. The Makuloco video is helpful but two things were different on my MKC. The fill plug assembly which looked like this:

Electronic engineering Gas Camera lens Machine Electric blue

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Gas

Also the level check plug was not a hex bolt rather an Allan key socket was needed to remove it. I forgot to get a picture of it but it’s a size 10 Allen head.

Couple of other tips. In order to get to the fill plug I had to remove this breather tube that connects to the air filter housing. One end snaps the the other end pulls straight out of the filter housing. It’s snug so you really gotta wiggle and pull but it comes straight out.

Pictured is the snap end and then the filter housing end after you pull it out:
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior Wood

I’m order to squeeze the clamp that retains the fill plug I had to cut the plastic retainer on the wiring harness that sits against the plug. I was then able to push it out of the way and I simply zip tied it back to its anchor point when I was done. The plug pulls straight off and it’s rubber so work it back and forth and it will come.

First picture shows after I cut the plastic retainer and moved the harness. The second picture is before I cut and moved it. (Sorry they got reversed when I posted them)
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Automotive design Bumper

Hand Gas Auto part Automotive tire Vehicle brake

The only other thing to add is the drain plug takes a 11mm socket. Other than that watch the Makuloco video on escapes and follow his directions. I’m slow probably took me two hours to do this but that’s from start to complete cleanup. First time is always the slowest!

#28 ·
Than you for your response. I did have it level and you suggested and filled it till oil came out of the level plug hole. I have changed it twice now and both times had half a pint of fluid in a quart can level over. I have a 2000 Ford F150 pick-up and over the pas 23 years have overfilled it several times with no problems, I was wondering how critical it is to not overfill. Maybe next time I will put 5 quarts in and watch the vent to see if it blows any out.
Thanks again

#29 ·
I don't mean to be rude but why are you wanting to overfill the trans sump?

The level of fluid (and quality) is an important part of the trans design. Now whether a small overfill may or may not cause any complications, I have no idea. Why worry about a small amount of fluid left in the container?

An overfill condition may cause seal leaks or fluid expulsion. One the pump starts, everything is pressurized.

You are talking about a possible 4 to 5 thousand dollar service replacement.

#33 · (Edited)
I didn’t replace the little green cap. I took a small piece of heat shrink and made my own sealable cap
That cap is also a vent.

Does everyone understand why it is important to check the final fill level on a hot transmission?

:confused:

ANSWER - The fluid expands as it is heated.

- Also, the vent is there to allow for fluid expansion and contraction due to operating temps. She has to be able to breathe.

#35 ·
I'm wondering if a fluid extractor could be used to remove the fluid through the fill hole. Has anyone tried?
It can be done with a suction device but here is the problem. All of the sump oil cannot be extracted in this fashion. Also any contaminant/debris laying in the bottom of the sump will not/cannot be removed.

It is best to perform a drain while the fluid is hot as contaminants (most) should be suspended in the fluid.

You want the most efficient exchange method that is possible as you are only changing a small part of the trans fluid and the filter is non-serviceable.

#37 ·
Hey, don't feel like THE LONE STRANGER, you are not alone.

There are suction devices to do this but I would think the hose would never reach the sump fully.

400.00 is completely ridiculous. FORD does not have any control over their dealers and rip-offs such as this are common. Maybe you could find a local CERTIFIED TRANS SHOP to perform the service? The only problem being they most likely will not have the MOTORCRAFT LV FLUID and it is not a good idea (IMO) to mix fluids.