Lincoln MKC Forum banner

Interior care

11K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  sdcatgirl 
#1 ·
I just purchased the Ruby Red Candy MKC Reserve with White Sands Interior. This is my second car with light interior, my 04 Aviator had them, I wish I took better care as they cracked & some color from jeans could be seen on the leather.
So, what does everyone else do to care for the seat leather & trim in the car?

While I'm here, it came with factory tint in the back. What do you do with the front & do you tint the pano?

See less See more
#2 ·
Congratulations. I love that color combo, even if my wife chose Silver Sand.

I'm in Florida so tint is a must. I do front door windows with 3m Color Stable, staying within Florida's limits. I do my windshield with Crystalline 90, which blocks a lot of heat. For my Cadillac's big back window I also did Crystalline 90 -- a dark tint would adversely affect the rear view mirror dimming sensor.

When we get our MKC later this month I'll do the front the same, and think about the liftgate. Since the pano has a power shade, we'll probably wait and see. If we do anything it would be the Crystalline and not something dark.

#7 ·
On of the largest things you can do is wash you dark colored jeans 2-3 times before wearing them. As far as the cracking the leather is different on the MKC. Its not the original leather that was used in most cars that cracks in the sun or from wear and tear. That being said i would still moisturize the seats with leather moisturizer/cleaner ever couple months.

#10 ·
I just purchased the Ruby Red Candy MKC Reserve with White Sands Interior. This is my second car with light interior, my 04 Aviator had them, I wish I took better care as they cracked & some color from jeans could be seen on the leather.

From your photo, am I correct that the balance of the interior is black?

I have Midnight Sapphire exterior, white sands interior and hazelnut for the accents.

#12 ·
The MKC will be the fifth car I've taken to the same local tint place (only 4th for crystalline, though). All door window tint is installed all the way to the sides and has a small gap (about 3/16) at the top which is not visible when the window is closed. Fixed windows have tint applied to the edge.

We had the Lexus done almost 6 years ago (sides; crystalline added 4 years ago on the windshield) and there have been no bubbles, peeling, or any other defects. As instructed, we have been careful to never clean with any product containing ammonia. Note when I traded in my XLR I was able to peel off my sunpass and legoland parking sticker without damaging the crystalline which had been in place for about 4 years.

3M's Color Stable and Crystalline have a "lifetime" (e.g. as long as you own the car) warranty against cracking, crazing, blistering, bubbling, and de-laminating. Covers material + labor which must done by original seller/installer.

#13 ·

From your photo, am I correct that the balance of the interior is black?

I have Midnight Sapphire exterior, white sands interior and hazelnut for the accents.
No, just looks dark. Its the hazelnut.

I had 35% Solar Guard tint put on the driver & passenger windows with a limo tint strip along the top of the front window, a must in AZ. I still might have the back done at a later date as I don't think that rear factory tint is protecting against UV or heat. I could be wrong.

#16 ·
I had a 2010 Acura with a taupe interior (leather also) that suffered a similar problem with the red t-shirts (GA Bulldogs!) that I would typically wear. It turned the back of the seat a very light pink. Luckily, I had purchased the Resistall protectant package from the dealer and they ultimately took care of it. They gave me a leather cleaner and protectant/conditioner for ongoing use - and the pink came off after that. When that ran out, I switched to Meguiar's products for a leather cleaner and a separate leather conditioner. That seemed to work as well.

I would guess that yours might be from a belt, since that is lower back and probably the same color every day.

The ultimate resolution, the most recent two cars (MKZ-H and MKC) I have purchased have both had black interiors with AC seats. Problem solved!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.