Lincoln MKC Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 MKC Reserve with the premium sound system. Once in awhile the audio cuts out, no sound for say 15 minutes. Then it comes back on and is normal. Almost like it is timing out but has happened when on for hours and also less than a half hour. System completely dead, no response to any manipulation. Any ideas?

Administrator
If it is a thx system it is pobably a bad amplifier. They are prone to fail.

Registered
I agree - a bad amplifier is the most likely cause.

Replacing it is simple but the amplifier does require programming to get it working on all speakers.

Be careful whom you purchase from. I bought from Tasca and I've decided not to do business with them any longer. In the box with the updated part - they sent a return mailing label - which I used thinking I was sending it back to Tasca for my core charge refund. As it turns out - Tasca has to issue an RMA for the return then YOU are responsible for the return shipping. This is NOT clear at all in the description of their processes and procedures. My return amplifier went to the shipping company (not back to Tasca) and Tasca refuses to issue my core charge refund. I understand that sending it to the wrong destination is my mistake - but I also felt that Tasca contributed to the mixup and the whole transaction left me with a bad experience. I'm done with that company.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A bad amplifier would cause it to quit intermittently? Happened again today, played for an hour then quit, fifteen minutes later came back on. How do I make sure that is the issue and where do I find the correct part number or upgrade? It is a THX.

Registered
Yes - shutting off at random and coming back on could indeed be an indication of a bad amplifier. My amplifier would crackel and pop intermittently but after the car had sat for a while powered off, the audio would come back normally for a time before going out again. The amplifier has been known to be problematic and has gone through numerous revisions . The updated part I received was revision 'E' whereas the original part was an 'A' version.

There are a couple of places you can look up the correct part number - either fordparts.com or you can use www.tascaparts.com. I've found fordparts.com to have a very convoluted search tool making it difficult to find the exact part number. Tascaparts.com - while more intuitive is a problematic site for reasons I've described above. At tasca any part you purchase that has a CORE charge requires caution on your part when purchasing through tasca.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, looked on Tasca and they list two amps do I assume the $300+ one is for the THX system. I tried to find a video showing the amp location in the MKC but could only find MKZ. Is it located in the rear near the spare? The dealer has to program the amp? We are 50 miles from the nearest dealer so problematic having them do much!!

Registered
Mine is the THX system also and I paid ~$300 plus CORE charge. I would take the part number (the FORD parts number) and look it up on the fordparts.com site. If you type it in correctly it should reference the THX or NON-THX version in the description at fordparts.com.

The amp on these units is located under the rear deck cover next to the spare. Removing and replacing it is dead simple - remember the job isn't done until the programming is completed to fully activate. Unit the unit is programmed sound will likely only play through the front speakers.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would a bad amp also impact the navigation sound/dialog? Is there an aftermarket upgrade or is the THX OEM the best.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts