Lincoln MKC Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went to the dealer for something else and they said they needed to also do a transmission programming update. I let them do it thinking it was like a important update or something. It runs 400 rpms higher now at idle highway speed etc (across the board), gas mileage lower as well and smells from engine. Dealer says they don not know what it does, that it just comes from Lincoln as a "package" they do. I am wondering if I should see if they can revert it. To add the smell is the heat of the engine and the coolant reservoir getting very hot, which could be a non-related thing. Is it possible that transmission change could cause the engine to work harder? as I am noticing this even after only driving down the street for 4 min ride and back. The sides of metal under the hood and lid of air filter is very hot to the touch and reservoir is crazy hot...so not just the rivior the engine is actually hotter. Oil and fluid levels all look good. Anyone experience this? To address the heat I am now getting, dealer says "cars are made with thinner metals now and made to run hotter" but wasn't sure what my issue was. Odd response, not sure if I buy it as was not this hot prior. Did not seem to have this until the reprogrammed. Taking it in out of warranty now is 2 week wait...thoughts on the trans update possibly causing the engine to work harder? Anyone else have this heat issue where engine is hot even after 4-5 minutes of driving?

·
Administrator
522 Posts
I don’t know anything about your negative reports but that is a very important update to do, they had a lot of transmission failures prior to that update, don’t know if that update fixed it or not but the purpose of it was to improve the durability of the transmission I believe

·
Registered
230 Posts
Is the engine coolant discolored? Is there unusual looking fluid in the engine oil?
If it's still under warranty bring it in and have them look it over.
Anyone know where the pcv valve is on this engine? (I would check to see if that is functioning correctly)

·
Administrator
522 Posts
On a 2.0 it is in line on a tube just to the backside of the intake Plenum. The computer has a way of monitoring crankshaft pressures though so should be getting a check engine light if it was a bad PCV.

The reason I know this is when I did my motor swap from 2.0 to 2.3 I got a check engine light for open pcv . The 2.3 had a tube without a PCV, I swapped the 2.0 tube onto the 2.3 motor, and retired it. this made the computer happy. Recently I had a check engine light come on for crank pressure irregularities. Everything comes out to be a bad PCV but I use the PCV from a 2.0, it’s not the same as a 2.3, Nor can I figure out where there is a PCV on a 2.3 L. Some of the headaches of doing the weird things I do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts