Lincoln MKC Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got cylinder misfires and loss of coolant. Dealership says replace engine block. 2016 MKV with 90k, so no warranty.

What happens if I just keep adding coolant? This seems cheaper than replacing the engine block.

I'm waiting for a price from Dealership. I will also call a few other shops to see what they quote.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Chris

Administrator
What size motor. I am hearing more and more about the 2.0 t with this

Registered
How bad is the coolant loss? If not too bad since you're not hydro-locked. my 2 cents. Bars stop leak product (for coolant/radiator leaks) USE AS THE BOTTLE INSTRUCTS YOU and pray it stops the misfires and coolant loss and then sell the next day. That stuff could solve the problem for a week or for years. Sounds like a gasket leak between cylinder section and coolant channel.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just got the official word, leaking into cylinder. They quoted $9200 plus tax and there is no long block available at the moment. Best part is that it is not for a newong block, but remanufactured!

Bars stop leak is not a bad idea. I'm thinking about just driving it until it won't drive anymore. The car is worth about $12-13k on a trade in. If I sold it, I will tell the person the problem.

Not sure what to do at the moment.. worse thing, it is my wife's car....

Administrator
So does anyone know why everyone is quoted a new block vs just a head gasket, or is something else failing other than the head gasket.

Registered
2017 Lincoln MKC
This is a related post. New long block on order for me. Didn't pose the question as to why not just a head gasket. My guess would be the root cause is deeper than that.

Registered
I too don't understand why they wouldn't just put in a head gasket. Warped after intrusion? I wonder if an independent shop would just suggest a gasket and what the cost would be.
Go to webuyanycar or carvana and see what they give you, as is. (with gasket leak) You might be surprised on the offer. I wouldn't suggest driving until hydro-lock. the last thing you want is her on the highway and boom no engine. side note: I used bars on my Explorer and continued to drive 20k+ miles until I sold it. so if you successfully use Bars and sell it to a used car buyer vs private.... I see nothing wrong with it.

Administrator
Reactions: Buckeye

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have done some more research and coolant can get into the cylinder from either a blown head gasket, cracked cylinder head or a cracked engine block.

The current lawsuit against Ford claims problems where the cylinder heads bolt up to the engine block. Coolant gets into the grooves where it pools and then starts degrading the gasket seals. The coolant starts entering the cylinders.

So, Iam going to put some fiber lock head gasket repair and see what happens. I will report back after a month or so, unless I am able to sell my car before then!

Registered
2019 Mark C Reserve
There is a Ford TSB for this engine problem - on December 19th 2019 Ford posted the following: TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN TSB 19-2346
2.0L EcoBoost - Coolant In Cylinders, White Exhaust Smoke
And/Or Illuminated MIL

You can find this online as a PDF. I downloaded it for future use if our 2019 MKC Reserve develops the same issue - we have 53,000 kilometres on our 2.0L Turbo. Fingers crossed - we love this car !

Registered
2017 Lincoln MKC
63500. I bought the car last April with 52k. All work was done at my local Ford dealer where I purchased it from. Don鈥檛 have any Lincoln dealers close by.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have done some more research and coolant can get into the cylinder from either a blown head gasket, cracked cylinder head or a cracked engine block.

The current lawsuit against Ford claims problems where the cylinder heads bolt up to the engine block. Coolant gets into the grooves where it pools and then starts degrading the gasket seals. The coolant starts entering the cylinders.

So, Iam going to put some fiber lock head gasket repair and see what happens. I will report back after a month or so, unless I am able to sell my car before then!
So I put some CRC fiber lock in the system and it seems to have helped. My coolant leak is maybe half what it was. I am beginning to wonder if I put the stuff in the right place. They specify don't put in expansion tank but straight into the coolant system. The problem is that MKC has a pressurized coolant reservoir. I am not sure if this is the best place to add the stop leak/fiber lock. I can't figure out if the coolant constantly circulates through this reservoir or if it's only on demand.

there is a small hose that goes to the top of the tank. Does anyone know if this hose is constantly returning back coolant or just some pressure oerflow?

Registered
I thought this issue applied only to the 1.5 and 1.6 EcoBoosts. Somehow I'm just now learning about this problem, which makes me upset. I bought my '18 last December with 30K miles. Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

The leak has slowed tremendously. The check engine has not come on since then. I used half the bottle. I'm waiting for a month or so and will put in the other half.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts