Lincoln MKC Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a MKC and within days the I had denim transfer to my light coloured Leather seats.
The dealer agreed to clean but within days of cleaning denim transfer again. Now Lincoln is sending out cleaning kits !!! they would like me to clean their problem.

Looks like the leather was not tanned / scotchgard treated properly through the tanning process.
My denim was 3 years old and washed over 60 times. Happened on passenger side also.
This has not happened on light coloured leather furniture.

Customer service at lincoln, agreed dealer will clean the car for me during the warranty time , but take 80 minutes out of my day , also said they would compensate with a $125.00 gas card. I have never heard such a run around due to poorly manufactured leather seating. Maybe Matthew needs to do a new commercial showing the denim transfer. My car is same as in the ad.

The BUCK stops at Customer service so the manager told me , as the offer for $125.00 was withdrawn, and no open door policy , as they would not let me talk or email Kumar Calhotra or Mark Fields , Mark Fields pushed to keep the Lincoln name, and customer service does not care or support the Brand!!!

Very, very disappointed, as the last Ford I purchased was a 1972 Ford Cortina GT( long gone of course) that is a long time between Ford purchases..

·
Registered
210 Posts
Have seen the same happen in BMW's, MB's, Audi's, Porsche's and Ferrari's (some of them mine). It's the reason why the ONLY color seating surfaces in all of my cars is black. Even dark grey and dark brown leather start looking crappy with time.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I will be watching this resolution carefully. Wife talked me out of the WS/Expresso and into the full White Sands.
Dealer claimed to have done some upholstery protection no charge pre-delivery. Maybe this is helping as I have no issues-yet

·
Registered
193 Posts
We had denim transfer in BMW and Lexus. We ordered Espresso with the White Sands trim because of past issues. I'd be tempted to put a special order light cloth seat cover on if the problem is so bad. I know that would be disappointing in a new car, but denim transfers are maddening. Maybe Lincoln would pay for the special order seat covers as they cost the earth.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
I had a 2010 Acura TL with a Taupe interior. Same thing happened there except it was with Red T-shirts. Turned my Taupe seats a light shade of pink.

In my case, Acura cleaned it once (only) and then gave me a leather cleaner to clean it myself and a separate protectant to use. Using the protectant did not stop the problem, but made it easier to clean. They advised me to not wear red shirts - sort of hard to do in Georgia with all of my Red and Black Georgia Bulldog shirts.

My 2013 Lincoln MKZ and and 2015 MKC were both bought with black seats (I also got the cooled seat option) - problem solved.

·
Registered
67 Posts
In every vehicle I have ever owned(most of them luxury cars) I had denim transfer.
The only solution I ever came up with was a black interior, or never wear denim in the car. I think the sealers they use on sofas does not transfer well to car interiors or they would be using it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I never really thought of this as a risk but now it is making me really stay away from lighter colored seats. I would still do brown instead of black, but I'm disappointed to hear this especially since the jeans aren't brand new. You can always just sit on a towel everyday. :p

·
Registered
19 Posts
This happened in my 2004 Aviator, so far so good in this car, I too have white sands. I use protector on it every couple of weeks. The Aviator, they replaced the entire seat cover only to have it happen again. Bummed to hear it still happens, I wear less denim now anyway, so hopefully I'll be ok.

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
I purchased some leather cleaner from the auto parts store and the "blue" from my jeans came off right away. I plan on treating the seats on a regular basis. This is probably the last time I will get such a light colored interior.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I am in the denim business (make the dyeing machinery) and must urge everyone to home wash TWICE any dark fashion jeans before you wear them. Indigo is an imperfect dye-it stays on the outside and is meant to wear off (the fading we all want).
But jeans producers are being pushed to make ever darker pants, and there is simply no way to fix the dye so it does not rub (crock) off to some extent.
Glad to hear some readily available cleaner can help.

Reactions: MONICART

·
Registered
35 Posts
Interior white is grimy

I went with the white sands interior, which was beautiful at first. After only 5000 miles (of always wearing clean clothes) my front seats look GRIMY. It is a pain to clean them with a Mr. Clean eraser, but if I don't they look worse than the medium brown seats in my eight year old vehicle. Lincoln needs to offer the Select package with hazelnut and also offer a medium gray for all trims. Surely there are lots of consumers out there who do not want black or white. I love lots about the MKC, but am ready to trade because the white sands interior has lost its elegance. Unfortunately, I cannot stand the "dungeon" feeling of an all black interior.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I think a dark grey interior would have been beautiful with a lot of the exterior colors offered.

We too have white sands. We were given a complementary Cilajet package from the dealership. Their product called "Hide" was applied. The wife wears denim all the time and so far, so good; but all of her jeans are years old.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I too loved the all sands interior at the car show but had a feeling those seats would get dirty very quickly. I went with the sands interior with espresso seats and couldn't be happier!!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Ditto WhiteKnight!

·
Registered
214 Posts
There was not a single car in our area that had the white sands/espresso interior or the hazelnut interior so we couldn't even look at them - everything was black or white sands. We live in an area that has hot weather 5-6 months out of the year, which is why we selected the white exterior/white sands interior. The white sands/espresso might have been an option, but the hazelnut would have been ruled out because the wife did not want a panoramic roof.

The white sands is beautiful and in spite of the application of "Hide", we know it may be difficult to maintain. If there was ever a good "test" for that product, the white sands interior definitely fits the bill.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I went with the white sands interior, which was beautiful at first. After only 5000 miles (of always wearing clean clothes) my front seats look GRIMY. It is a pain to clean them with a Mr. Clean eraser, but if I don't they look worse than the medium brown seats in my eight year old vehicle. Lincoln needs to offer the Select package with hazelnut and also offer a medium gray for all trims. Surely there are lots of consumers out there who do not want black or white. I love lots about the MKC, but am ready to trade because the white sands interior has lost its elegance. Unfortunately, I cannot stand the "dungeon" feeling of an all black interior.
Have you used the Mr. Clean erase on all the interior leather or just on the front seats? If not, can you see a difference between the front and back after you've cleaned the front seats with it? My guess is that the white sands leather is too "delicate" for a Mr. Clean erase and the more you use it, the worse your seats will look.

Before you trade it in, you might want to take it to a professional detailer to clean the leather and then apply a sealant/protectant to see if that helps.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Ouch. I would not use a mr clean magic eraser on the leather... It contains formaldehyde....I'd be wary. I know it works well but I would be immediately putting some good leather conditioner on it afterwards it scrapes away the top layer of the leather and although it may look ok now repeated use will probably take its toll on the leather.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I love my white sands interior. Nicest and most comfy seats I ever had. I don't wear jeans. No problems

1 - 20 of 22 Posts