Lincoln MKC Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears that the upcoming Continental will actually be called the Continental, moving away from the 'MK' naming scheme.

Joe Hinrichs, Ford's president of the Americas, said, “Without divulging the future, we’re very excited about the Continental name and the attention it’s gotten.”

“I get it,” Hinrichs said. “I know MKX and C and Z and T. I’ve studied them very well. I know them well, but we also understand the issue. It’s, frankly, where the auto industry -- the premium industry -- has gone, if you look at all the nameplates. But another way Lincoln could distinguish itself is to leverage its heritage. So I’ll leave it at that.”
Now it might not be because of the name, but it is worth noting that the only Lincoln vehicle with a pronounceable name, instead of a mix of letters, the Navigator, has seen sales increase 84 percent this year. Other models have seen sales decrease by 7.2%.

Perhaps switching to some more interesting names, ones that hearken back to Lincoln's history, will be just the thing to revitalize the brand.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20150421/BLOG06/150429950/why-lincoln-is-ready-to-toss-the-alphabet-soup

·
Registered
324 Posts
Continental will actually replace the MKS, so Continental=MKS=Town Car...

The Navigators name really has little to do with why people purchase...

·
Registered
160 Posts
I think most on this forum new Lincoln should have ditched it years ago.
Stupid, confusing and does not create a personality for the car. It might as well be a serial number.
People connect with their car, give it a name.
So what should the MKC been?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think most on this forum new Lincoln should have ditched it years ago.
Stupid, confusing and does not create a personality for the car. It might as well be a serial number.
People connect with their car, give it a name.
So what should the MKC been?
How about the Lincoln Sidewinder

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The alpha numeric names allow people to kinda project whatever personality they want to onto the car. Actual names define the car and might not appeal to all customers. I think they are just trying to be risk averse, but obviously that has the downside of making the names all very boring and confusing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts