Lincoln MKC Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very weird issue happens with the car. Sometimes in the morning, while approaching the car it doesn't react to the key. Seems like a drain battery...but...
All doors are locked, however, the transmission buttons' and volume buttons' backlight is on (!). No possibility to open the car or do anything using the fob. The driver door is opened then using the metal key but sitting inside and pushing "On" or any other buttons shows no reaction: backlights stay on, dash screen is off but car seems completely dead... Then, anti-theft alarm starts to horn after 12 seconds as it should waking up everyone in the neighbourhood:) I still could not find the way to turn it off anyhow except opening the hood and quickly screwing off battery "plus" terminal to save remains of my neighbours' early morning dreams...Putting terminal back car continues to horn, then you just jump into the car, push break pedal and turn it on - all works, car has started!! Before, same issue has happened only with old battery several times during the winter and commonly during minus degrees (battery got empty, so I had to use battery booster after putting "plus" terminal back). I put a new battery a month ago and everything was fine until today.... Same issue as described above but with a fresh battery.

Maybe anyone could help me, where to dig in, where to look at? At least maybe how to temporarely disable anti-theft sound?)))
A bit confusing running around blinking and yelling car in the mornings))
Electrician could not find anything weird yet: alternator, battery - all OK.

·
Registered
275 Posts
does this seem familiar?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
does this seem familiar?
Thanks a lot!
Just hqbe started with turning off welcome lights as the key fob is actually located quite close to the car.

·
Administrator
623 Posts
Have you changed the battery in the fob?? There is a location inside the center console where you can place the key if the fob battery is dead to get the car to start and disable the security system

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you changed the battery in the fob?? There is a location inside the center console where you can place the key if the fob battery is dead to get the car to start and disable the security system
Yes, the battery in the fob is okey. I also tried another fob, when this happened - same story. I actually forgot abot this central console slot:) - will try this out next time to stop alarm at least. Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Very weird issue happens with the car. Sometimes in the morning, while approaching the car it doesn't react to the key. Seems like a drain battery...but...
All doors are locked, however, the transmission buttons' and volume buttons' backlight is on (!). No possibility to open the car or do anything using the fob. The driver door is opened then using the metal key but sitting inside and pushing "On" or any other buttons shows no reaction: backlights stay on, dash screen is off but car seems completely dead... Then, anti-theft alarm starts to horn after 12 seconds as it should waking up everyone in the neighbourhood:) I still could not find the way to turn it off anyhow except opening the hood and quickly screwing off battery "plus" terminal to save remains of my neighbours' early morning dreams...Putting terminal back car continues to horn, then you just jump into the car, push break pedal and turn it on - all works, car has started!! Before, same issue has happened only with old battery several times during the winter and commonly during minus degrees (battery got empty, so I had to use battery booster after putting "plus" terminal back). I put a new battery a month ago and everything was fine until today.... Same issue as described above but with a fresh battery.

Maybe anyone could help me, where to dig in, where to look at? At least maybe how to temporarely disable anti-theft sound?)))
. . .my approach detection does not even work🤔

·
Registered
11 Posts
Might be wise to get a Faraday bag to store the fob in if it is close to the car when not in use. Also prevents people from using a scanner to steal your car. I bought mine from Amazon 2 for $14.95:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Might be wise to get a Faraday bag to store the fob in if it is close to the car when not in use. Also prevents people from using a scanner to steal your car. I bought mine from Amazon 2 for $14.95:
Thanks! Will look into that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, small update regarding the issue:
1. Welcome lights have been turned off.
2. When I checked the central control slot and put the fob into that (just to try) - the screen started to behave in strange manner: changed audio input device from Bluetooth (smartphone) to USB, then to FM, then to AM, then back to USB and so on - also blinking several times. When put the fob out and put a finger(!) inside the slot there - same strange behavior continued but in a bit slower manner.
3. Decided to extract USB disk from upper USB drive. Actually has not used that as audio input for 1,5 years now and all this time USB was inserted in the drive. When extracted USB and put the fob back into slot - everything acts normal as well as checking with a finger :D

Not sure how the above can be related to my problem... but nothing weird happened with the car since Feb 12. Waiting for some colder weather and sudden minus degrees now to check whether above described helped or not.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I experience the dead battery issue two years ago with my 2015 MKC. Had to use the key to enter the car, went to the dealer and had the battery replace. Problem solved . . . NOPE!!! Fast forward two months later, same problem dead battery. Went back to the dealer they replaced the battery, a month later same problem. Started to troubleshoot to see what was draining my battery. Turns out it was my dashcam. Mind you, I've had this dashcam for 4 years before this problem occurred, so I don't know what about the dashcam was draining the battery. Long story short, after more trouble shooting, if I do not start my car everyday with the dashcam plugged in 24/7 it will drain the battery. So at night when my car is in the garage, I unplug the dash cam and will not plug it in again unless until I'm driving the car.

Is it possible that you have something plugged in or running while the car is asleep?

·
Registered
2 Posts
"There are a few causes. One of them is the perimeter lighting that comes on as you approach the vehicle. In order for it to recognize the FOB it is continually cycling to search for the signal. There is a TSB fix for this - 2 modules in the door (the rear passenger door actually) have to be replaced."

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I experience the dead battery issue two years ago with my 2015 MKC. Had to use the key to enter the car, went to the dealer and had the battery replace. Problem solved . . . NOPE!!! Fast forward two months later, same problem dead battery. Went back to the dealer they replaced the battery, a month later same problem. Started to troubleshoot to see what was draining my battery. Turns out it was my dashcam. Mind you, I've had this dashcam for 4 years before this problem occurred, so I don't know what about the dashcam was draining the battery. Long story short, after more trouble shooting, if I do not start my car everyday with the dashcam plugged in 24/7 it will drain the battery. So at night when my car is in the garage, I unplug the dash cam and will not plug it in again unless until I'm driving the car.

Is it possible that you have something plugged in or running while the car is asleep?
That's very similar to my issue. Currently I suspect USB disk that was inserted in constantly for 1,5 years. I unplugged that lately and no issues since then.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts