Lincoln MKC Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2016 with the THX system and I love it. It is able to play at remarkably loud volumes and remain clear with little distortion. I personally don't have any issue with the base reproduction and think the system is a worthy upgrade over the stock system. Of course this is my subjective opinion and adding a sub as others have mentioned would improve things.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I have a 2016 with the THX system and I love it. It is able to play at remarkably loud volumes and remain clear with little distortion. I personally don't have any issue with the base reproduction and think the system is a worthy upgrade over the stock system. Of course this is my subjective opinion and adding a sub as others have mentioned would improve things.

I agree. A good quality system will always deliver accurate sound reproduction of the source being played without adding "color". Sometimes the accurate delivery of that sound may not be what people perceive to be good as in a lack of over-boosted bass which some people like. I've spent 10s of thousands of dollars to create an accurate sound system in the home. I bet some people would listen to that system and find something lacking based on their perception as to what sounds good.

·
Registered
149 Posts
This is in response to ddsski's comment about only hearing the harmonics of a 32 Hz sound. As an engineer and musician I decided to do a test. I copied some WAV samples of 16' Bourdon organ pipes to a USB drive and played them on my THX system. These samples come from "stopped" pipes which contain a strong fundamental plus a small amount of odd (but no even) harmonics and some starting transients. Without the even harmonics the ear cannot be tricked into thinking it is hearing the fundamental. These samples all played on the system, with a little drop in volume below about 40 Hz. In the THX system on the MKC, the four door speakers are woofers only, designed and powered to handle the frequencies required, while the mid-ranges and tweeters are on the front dash and rear pillars, closer to ear level.

There are a lot of factors besides the diameter of a speaker that affect the bass output. The tiny speakers in headphones can be made to provide good low frequency response. The bigger issue is how much air can the speaker move at the frequencies involved, as well as the environment in which it exists. Multiple speaker arrays and longer-throw speakers can be used instead of larger diameter speakers. As well, you need to properly isolate the sound coming from the rear of the speaker from that coming from the font to avoid cancellation - easy to do with a sedan where speakers are placed on the rear deck behind the seats - not so easy in an SUV.

I think Lincoln has done a good job with the THX system in the MKC, given the space limitations. Personally, I appreciate that the space around the wheel wells has been used for sound insulation rather than for a sub-woofer.

·
Registered
733 Posts
THX® DISTRIBUTED BASS TECHNOLOGY™

THX DBT deploys special sound processing that combines output from door-mounted woofers into an accurate, uniform bass throughout the entire vehicle cabin.
THX DBT replaces the single subwoofer in vehicles with multiple smaller drive units – usually four, one in each corner. Global optimization algorithm determines the optimum EQ to each driver from the DSP / amplifier to provide uniform bass in
all seats.
THX® ACHROMATIC AUDIO AMPLIFIER™

THX AAA delivers the most accurate performance of any amplification technology available, revealing every detail of even the most dynamic high resolution content. Using a patented feed-forward error correction scheme, THX AAA Technology was designed from the ground up to be accurate, noise-free and efficient in its performance.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Are the actual speakers used in dash area of the premium sound and THX systems different? I would assume the door units are special to the THX system, but suspect the center and dash units may be same. I did not mean to bash the THX system and BTW I am a Carver (original stuff)/MacIntosh/Golden Ear/ Polk LSi15 type listener. I grew up listening to AR3a's! It is indeed impressve if they were able to use the sound waves from all 4 door speakers to essentially, logarithmically enhance those low end notes. Still sounds like some cosmetic work is being done to the sound so coloration is happening below the radar.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I guess my frustration relates to Lincoln going upscale, yet at the same time, an upgraded audio system for only $995 is found on so few units on dealer lots. Like they are afraid to be in this price zone?? They have, IMHO, falsely compared themselves to vehicles larger, thus setting themselves up for critiques of cargo size when they should consider themselves the best true Luxury Compact on the market taking direct aim at the Evoque. (Had one, tranny (9 speed) was horrible and I got rid of it). Cuse the aside, but it actually all ties together. They seem content to sell decontented Premier and Select units when the real profits are in the Reserve.

Reactions: SubVette

·
Registered
733 Posts
Are the actual speakers used in dash area of the premium sound and THX systems different? I would assume the door units are special to the THX system, but suspect the center and dash units may be same. I did not mean to bash the THX system and BTW I am a Carver (original stuff)/MacIntosh/Golden Ear/ Polk LSi15 type listener. I grew up listening to AR3a's! It is indeed impressve if they were able to use the sound waves from all 4 door speakers to essentially, logarithmically enhance those low end notes. Still sounds like some cosmetic work is being done to the sound so coloration is happening below the radar.

My 1600 watt home theater system is McIntosh processor and McIntosh power amp with Klipsch speakers & Velodyne subs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry about posting this again but it might not have been seen due to the fact that it took over a week for the admin to allow it to be posted.

Hi ddsski. Your info was very useful. According to Crutchfield, the stock sub impedance is either 1 or 2 ohms. Do you happen to know which it is? Was the RE Pro sub that you got one with dual 4-ohm voice coils? If so, did you have the voice coils wired in parallel to achieve 2-ohms? Thanks.

·
Registered
733 Posts

The 3 speakers in the dash are different for the THX system - See below form the parts catalog.

Speaker Box and Speaker Assembly
THXIII 14 Speaker W/o Sub Woofer ; For Instrument Panel

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thanks all. My installer used line out adapters on stock amp as diagram proved elusive and this actually achieved all the goals. The Powerbass Class ?D amp used a dual voice coil RE sub.
I belief the 2 ohm setup is used because the output is 350watts and there are 2 sets of wires coming from the sub.

You are concerned about precision and you are sporting Klipsch speakers?? Awesome for a theater but please don't tell me those horn tweeters are going to win any accuracy awards. They can play load as **** thought!!!

Now that we are getting into a power struggle , Took a different path with the Marantz, AV7005, Mac MC352, Def Tech 8000 sub, Polk LSi 15 fronts, Golden Ear Super Sat center and rears. Notice all components are considered benchmarks for audio accuracy. The new Golden ear products have put the high end industry on its ear thanks to Sheldon Gross's Triton 1's and 2's. I used to have an MX134 but with technology changing so quickly, you'd buy a very expensive Preamp only to have it be obsolete in 5 yrs. That Marantz piece has sound quality that punches far above its weight class. Marantz is back in top form finally. Still miss my beloved old 1090 integrated amp from the late 70's Dynamic headroom was an extra 50% over the ratings. Got tortured at college and never missed a beat. BTW just some friendly jousting.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Since I'm split 50/50 music and movies, I'm pretty pleased with the Klipsch Reference 7ii suround system below hooked into my McIntosh MX151 and McIntosh MC205 plus the 2 15" powered Velodyne subs (one front and one rear) come in handy when watching action movies. The MX151 has a pure audio mode that runs just the towers which sounds pretty darn good.

My previous speaker HT setup was 4 of these Altecs Model 19s (sold them to someone in Vietnam of all places)

·
Registered
139 Posts
I see size matters hehe!!

In an earlier life my first big speakers were Optimus 5B's which were really Altec Lansings. Had them for ~15yrs. Indestructible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
THX or not, there are physical limitations to the range of sound certain sized drivers can produce. THX basically blew it on the MKC. That area was available for a nice deep quality 8 in sub. So Jazz will be fine, light classical fine, anything heavy you might as well be listening to Bose products.

My guy is not a fan of the shallow subs unless no other choice. He went with a high quality 8inch v a cheaper (Fosgate for example) 10 inch sub for accuracy and power handling. I must say, it certainly does transform the entire sound system esp now that I can back off of the bass setting (-1-2 is fine) which make rest of system far more efficient. Even the organs on Yes Awaken are heard with authority now!
Have you ever heard an in hone Bose 901 speaker system…. Some of the lowest range punch on the market. Using nothing bigger than 4 1/4” drivers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New to the forum but used it in my search about audio. Was going to buy a new 2017 Reserve with THX system because maybe 1% of those on the lots have it then I did more research. Because the THX system is a $995 option and doesn't have a sub, it will be unable to reproduce much of anything below 80Hz. The premium audio system has a lousy sub, but that is easily upgradeable. I ended up with a 2015 reserve with everything I wanted with only 17K on ododmeter for 16K less than a new one. couldn't say no to that. For $478 including install it now has a RE Pro audio RT Pro 8 sub powered by a Poweramp XL-350DM amp done by a national champ in sound for years. For half the price of a THX system, I can officially blow its doors off, and the sound is VERY accurate. This comes from a MacIntosh guy.
I wanna see this I have a 2015 MKC it has the THX sound system in it and I have subs I've always had subs in all my cars I'm just trying to see what other people have done. And I used to have an RE pro and RE

21 - 35 of 35 Posts