Lincoln MKC Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my ‘15 MKC in for service to replace brakes and rotate tires. I was told that my Lug Nuts have swollen and will need to be cut-off and replaced before they can get to the tires and wheels...an additional cost to me. In all my years of car ownership...never encountered swollen lug nuts before. VERY Disappointed in this news. Has anybody out there encountered this as well ?

·
Registered
733 Posts
I had the same issue on my MKC and Jeep Wrangler -

·
Registered
153 Posts
As a member of the Ford Escape forum (my previous vehicle), I can tell you that many Escape owners have the same problem. Go to E-Bay or Amazon and look for chrome lug nuts. You can pick up a set of 20 lugs for about $25.00. Problem solved!

Reactions: 5.0 Candy REDCS

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update - my dealer (which I insisted) waived the $178 charge to cutoff and replace these swollen lug nuts ! So FordMoCo if you are listening...please fix this problem or this will be my last Lincoln!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just ran into the problem today. The lugs have a chrome plated cover over a cheap steel lug nut. Water gets underneath this cover and swells (I suppose from freezing) so a normal metric socket will not fit over them. Design problem, my tire guy says. Happening in a lot of cars he sees nowadays. Ford wants $6.50 per nut for them. We put some cheaper ones on. Pretty poor engineering if you ask me. This tire man has what he called an "extractor" that as he drives it further on with a hammer, it will bite into the nut so it can be taken off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had the same problem on my Lincoln...and 15 Ram 1500...16 ford escape titanium...my 2007 ford 150 was like that...manufacturers either use ugly steel plain lugs or these chrome clad. Been that way for at least 40 years. My 75 280z had them as did my 78 tbird. They hold fine, so there is no problem with safety. They're just a pain to take off once "somebody" uses an impact wrench on them and over tightens beyond spec. The same thing they do when they change your oil and overtighten the drain and squish the washer. They never balloon on their own from what I've seen. And I've been replacing them for 30 years, so i never would have thought who is to blame until you posted this. So thanks for that!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Interesting thread, I would never have thought about such an issue. What product did people use to replace the OEM lug nut? Rock Auto only has Dorman lugs, the one they have in stock is a 611-303, I can't find if that is a one piece or is like the OEM.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lug nuts

After I complained about my lug nuts the dealer contacted Lincoln and they agree to cover the cost to replace them. I do not allow the dealer to use a air ratchet to remove the lug nuts.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Interesting thread, I would never have thought about such an issue. What product did people use to replace the OEM lug nut? Rock Auto only has Dorman lugs, the one they have in stock is a 611-303, I can't find if that is a one piece or is like the OEM.

Check on Amazon. There are plenty of aftermarket chrome one piece lug nuts available. You can get a decent set for about $25.00 (I've bought several sets from DP Accessories.com with good results)

·
Registered
881 Posts
I've long started replacing OEM lugs on my cars/trucks/crossovers....I usually buy good quality solid steel lug nuts for around $20.00 and never had this happen to me....was hellish trying to get a set of OEM off my cousin's Dodge mini van....I needed up having to hammer force an old socket on the swollen lug before we were able to take it off....we soaked them over night with WD40, and that helped a lot....

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had my first issue with this condition with a 1970 Olds Cutlass. I had to drill the nuts off after I spun the chrome cap.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I put new one piece chrome lug nuts on my 17 MKC last year. I have a set of the factory lugs still in good condition. I'll give them to anyone who will pay the shipping costs. PM me your address and I'll let you know how much shipping will be.

Reactions: symetry

·
Registered
153 Posts
i put new one piece chrome lug nuts on my 17 mkc last year. I have a set of the factory lugs still in good condition. I'll give them to anyone who will pay the shipping costs. Pm me your address and i'll let you know how much shipping will be.

already gone!

Reactions: symetry

·
Registered
153 Posts
I put new one piece chrome lug nuts on my 17 MKC last year. I have a set of the factory lugs still in good condition. I'll give them to anyone who will pay the shipping costs. PM me your address and I'll let you know how much shipping will be.

Gone!

·
Registered
9 Posts
swollen nuts

Same issue on my 2017 MKC. Had winter tires changed and went to retorque at home and socket wouldn't fit on three nuts.

Dealer replaced under warranty but not taking a chance of being stuck on the highway with a tire you can't change because Lincoln tried to save $0.25 on a nut. Going to change them all out, but what a joke.

Dealer quoted me $15 per nut for a jobber replacement that won't swell. $300 for nuts?

If anyone has a link to a set they are happy with, please post.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My name is Dave and I have swollen nuts .... LoL
The dealer said they would replace them under warranty, but only with OEM. I think I'll spend the $40 and get good ones.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts